I am officially in the McKenna got to go camp

banks703

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Good catch.  Thanks.

Again, this isn't about one play, and for me it isn't even about physical mistakes.  It's about a pattern of behavior.

Quote from Britton the manager:

no excuse for either one of them,” Britton said. “You can’t lose focus in moments like that. Those are things that we preach from spring training. He’s heard the same things for years. At some point, you’ve got to retain information and be able to slow the games down, especially in big games like this.”

Getting called out by his manager for his

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Felix Pie?

Jeff Stone?

Nolan Reimold?

Lol, Jeff Stone? Are we going back that far? 

Reimold was not a bad instinctual player at all. 

As someone who watches these guys as they come up through he system, McKenna has a long line of questionable plays, decisions, and mental lapses that have gotten him benched in the minors. The Orioles don't have an accountability system at the major league level. They don't have a manager willing to get into a guy or demand they play heads up at all times. 

This is why we see so many lackadaisical plays and mental errors. Hyde is to worried about being Hyder, their favorite big brother than being a guy who demands players play the game the right way and always have their heads in the game.

Now, grant it I'm an old school, but I like a manager who players respect, but also know they have to play the game right for.

• Upvote 2

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

Ryan McKenna is just about the least of this team's problems. Get back to me when we've replaced a third or so of the pitching

Just because he's not the main problem doesn't mean it doesn't get discussed. if you aren't interested in this discussion, feel free to ignore.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

One correction on my previous post. At first I thought I heard Brown ask if maybe McKenna should have been on 2B. I don't hear that in the replay. My bad.   

Watching live I had the same "maybe he could have gotten to 2nd" thought, but grant it is one of those cases do you use after burners on every routine fly ball?     The quick Hays DP on a sharp groundball is just baseball, but really let Rooker off the hook.

Already Adley can conserve his energy however he thinks best in my book on that kind of play.

The batted ball itself reminded me of Trey's inside the park HR, minus the ricochet.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Quote from Britton the manager:

no excuse for either one of them,” Britton said. “You can’t lose focus in moments like that. Those are things that we preach from spring training. He’s heard the same things for years. At some point, you’ve got to retain information and be able to slow the games down, especially in big games like this.”

Getting called out by his manager for his

Britton is one of those managers that definitely expects his players to play the game right. I like the fact that he will bench a guy (he did several times with McKenna) and then have no issues making sure the player knows why they were benched. 

Unfortunately, even his "old school" ways were not enough to get through to McKenna now that he made the big leagues.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Watching live I had the same "maybe he could have gotten to 2nd" thought, but grant it is one of those cases do you use after burners on every routine fly ball?     The quick Hays DP on a sharp groundball is just baseball, but really let Rooker off the hook.

Already Adley can conserve his energy however he thinks best in my book on that kind of play.

The batted ball itself reminded me of Trey's inside the park HR, minus the ricochet.

I'm thinking McKenna makes it to 3B on Hays groundball. That gives Adley a shot to drive in the tying run

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I'm thinking McKenna makes it to 3B on Hays groundball. That gives Adley a shot to drive in the tying run

Can't blame it all on McKenna .That was an all around mental breakdown. My friend is a scout and he has noticed the lack of hustle,sloppy outfield play.Maybe yesterday was a wake up call. A few Orioles don't run  hard to first like many teams.

Edited by Going Underground

Saying everything I said, Haskin is the only guy that makes some sense as a replacement, but I'm not sure he's a better overall player than McKenna. I doubt the Orioles are going to DFA McKenna though it might send a message that garbage play is not going to be tolerated. 

I am not ready to eject McKenna from the island, not yet. These plays he has had were awful, yes. He has not shown this kind of gaffe at the MLB level to this point. If it continues this way, sure, tell him to pack his stuff and go see Hyder with his nameplate in hand.

My concern is that all of the OFers look to be ill-prepared to play MLB defense at times. This team looks like it is not ready to compete on a nightly basis against an average team, much less make a playoff run. That lack of preparedness might be that they kept too many guys around in Spring Training for too long, or maybe the roster construction was sketchy to start with. Either way, this is on Elias, Hyde, and the coaching staff. This team is not ready to play from night to night. Mental lapses are not excusable at this level, not if you are a young team and expect to compete for a playoff spot. Hyde needs to clean this stuff up, and quickly.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol, Jeff Stone? Are we going back that far? 

Reimold was not a bad instinctual player at all. 

As someone who watches these guys as they come up through he system, McKenna has a long line of questionable plays, decisions, and mental lapses that have gotten him benched in the minors. The Orioles don't have an accountability system at the major league level. They don't have a manager willing to get into a guy or demand they play heads up at all times. 

This is why we see so many lackadaisical plays and mental errors. Hyde is to worried about being Hyder, their favorite big brother than being a guy who demands players play the game the right way and always have their heads in the game.

Now, grant it I'm an old school, but I like a manager who players respect, but also know they have to play the game right for.

Did you notice a lot of mental errors last year?  I didn’t.  I thought on the whole the team played very heads up baseball.  

This year has been different and I truly hope Hyde is addressing this behind the scenes.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Saying everything I said, Haskin is the only guy that makes some sense as a replacement, but I'm not sure he's a better overall player than McKenna. I doubt the Orioles are going to DFA McKenna though it might send a message that garbage play is not going to be tolerated. 

Is Krejstad not considered an outfield prospect anymore?

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Doesn’t have it anymore?  Seriously?

That isn’t even remotely a thought right now.

I can’t believe I’m actually the one defending this guy, considering I felt Os prospect lists completely overrated him for years.

But he serves the purpose. Now, I agree that he can’t do these things but I’m not close to the point of wonder if he has “lost it”.

Anyone else find it absolutely hysterical, that SG, the guy who has never seen a trade he didn't like or a player that he felt wasn't absolutely replaceable, is defending the one guy on the team who's 100% replaceable?  

The fact that he's self aware in his defense of McKenna is what puts this over the top for me.  Well done, SG, well done.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1