I am officially in the McKenna got to go camp

banks703

57 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hyde said Bemboom was.on the roster only because we are facing the four lefties. I do expect O'Hearn as soon as there is a chance we can use him.

I agree McKenna is probably the best option but I'd like to see as little him as possible, offensively and defensively. Haskin is getting more interesting by the day. I would love some reports on his defense because he would be a natural platoon option for Mullins if he can play center.

I agree, Watkins or Krehbiel make sense. But who goes? DFA Voth or option Kremer? They said Grayson would start again. Could also option Gillespie or Baumann. Maybe Baumann who just pitched 2 last night.

From Tony:

Defensively Haskin can play all three outfield positions but he’s better in left due to just average footspeed, marginal instincts, and a below average arm. 

While Haskin does not have a major weakness in his skill set, he also doesn’t have a carrying tool to make him a major league regular unless it’s for a second division team. He’s probably more suited as the right-handed portion of a left field platoon or as a 4th/5th outfielder.

From MLB.com Orioles top prospects:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 60 | Arm: 45 | Field: 60 | Overall: 45

n addition to that offensive potential, Haskin’s best tools are his glove and his speed. He’s a plus runner who broke Springer’s school stolen-base record in high school, with good instincts and a nose for the ball in the outfield. His athletic skillset suggests he will be able to remain in center field long term, giving Haskin the ceiling of a big league regular who can do a little bit of everything offensively.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You guys take a few negatives and blow them up into way more than they are. 

I don't disagree with these words and have had the same thought myself numerous times, but for some reason I actually laughed out loud when I read them.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Hyde said Bemboom was.on the roster only because we are facing the four lefties. I do expect O'Hearn as soon as there is a chance we can use him.

I agree McKenna is probably the best option but I'd like to see as little him as possible, offensively and defensively. Haskin is getting more interesting by the day. I would love some reports on his defense because he would be a natural platoon option for Mullins if he can play center.

I agree, Watkins or Krehbiel make sense. But who goes? DFA Voth or option Kremer? They said Grayson would start again. Could also option Gillespie or Baumann. Maybe Baumann who just pitched 2 last night.

Sounds like Hyde likes the job Baumann is doing in the pen.  I don't see him being sent down.

Not sure anybody mentioned this yet about last night's game. In the 2nd inning McKenna hit a sac fly that the RF dropped, yet didn't run hard and didn't end up on second base on the error (Brown and McDonald both noted this). Instead of second and third with one out it was first and third with one out. Hays then grounded into a DP to end the inning.  Inexcusable mental error. 

I've been suggesting since Spring Training that the O's could replace McKenna with someone who might provide better overall value to the team. And that was before 3 separate lackadaisical plays in the first 12 games from a part time player. IMO he really does need to go. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If we cut players because of mental lapses, the whole OF would be gone.

McKenna is fine for your 4th or more likely 5th OFer.  Good defense, has some speed, has a history that he can hit lefties well.  Was worth 1.3 WAR last year iirc.

You guys take a few negatives and blow them up into way more than they are. 

He's a part time player, and somehow he has managed to make 3 lackadaisical mental errors in 12 games. How is that blowing this up more than it is?

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

He's a part time player, and somehow he has managed to make 3 lackadaisical mental errors in 12 games. How is that blowing this up more than it is?

Because it’s a SSS and he has a history of being an above average defender.

You are all blowing this up because it’s early in the season. 

It’s just an absurd over the top reaction that is completely based on emotion.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree SG, it is a SSS, but I think that makes it worse. He's made 3 mental/lazy errors in 12 games. Either a veteran/coach needs to pull him aside and tell him to focus or he should be demoted/released. 

Just now, Jagwar said:

I agree SG, it is a SSS, but I think that makes it worse. He's made 3 mental/lazy errors in 12 games. Either a veteran/coach needs to pull him aside and tell him to focus or he should be demoted/released. 

All the OFers have made a ton of mental errors. 

And it doesn’t make it worse. It makes it a SSS, one of which people are blowing way out of proportion.

I agree with the SSS, but I also think he's not doing anything to help himself. When you screw up and cost your team a game, you have to be better for an extended period of time. He's having mental lapses a week or so later. It starts to make you think his head isn't in it and SSS be damned.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He also has a history of mental blunders.  If you're an OPS 67+ bat you don't get the luxury of making constant mental errors.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

I agree with the SSS, but I also think he's not doing anything to help himself. When you screw up and cost your team a game, you have to be better for an extended period of time. He's having mental lapses a week or so later. It starts to make you think his head isn't in it and SSS be damned.

The fact that it is SSS is more damning.

This isn't a rate issue.  It's not like he struck out three times in a row and people are project that onto 600 ABS.

It's damn near every game he's in the lineup he does something dumb/lazy that costs the team runs.

• Haha 1

Just now, spleen1015 said:

As a back up player, you can’t do these things. I agree. But it happens, to everyone.

He doesn’t have a history of this. He doesn’t have a history of being a bad fielder. 

It’s a flukish thing that has happened and he will be fine.

Him dropping that ball is like Cust falling down. It’s all anyone wants to talk about/remember.

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From Tony:

Defensively Haskin can play all three outfield positions but he’s better in left due to just average footspeed, marginal instincts, and a below average arm. 

While Haskin does not have a major weakness in his skill set, he also doesn’t have a carrying tool to make him a major league regular unless it’s for a second division team. He’s probably more suited as the right-handed portion of a left field platoon or as a 4th/5th outfielder.

From MLB.com Orioles top prospects:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 60 | Arm: 45 | Field: 60 | Overall: 45

n addition to that offensive potential, Haskin’s best tools are his glove and his speed. He’s a plus runner who broke Springer’s school stolen-base record in high school, with good instincts and a nose for the ball in the outfield. His athletic skillset suggests he will be able to remain in center field long term, giving Haskin the ceiling of a big league regular who can do a little bit of everything offensively.

Haskin isn’t ready. We just don’t have a RH option to replace McKenna. We really need another RH COF option too. Norby and Westburg are the in house options but not the ideal fits. We need a Delmon Young type. Miguel Sano and Yermin Mercedes are out there as FA. Both hit lefties pretty well, but are DH types. Maybe someone with another club has an opt out. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As a back up player, you can’t do these things. I agree. But it happens, to everyone.

He doesn’t have a history of this. He doesn’t have a history of being a bad fielder. 

It’s a flukish thing that has happened and he will be fine.

Him dropping that ball is like Cust falling down. It’s all anyone wants to talk about/remember.

He was benched in a minor league playoff series for mental errors.  He indeed has a history.

And if you'll notice, the flyball is the least of people's problems with him.  It's the effort.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

He was benched in a minor league playoff series for mental errors.  He indeed has a history.

And if you'll notice, the flyball is the least of people's problems with him.  It's the effort.

Lol. I guess I should say a history that matters.

Your best friend had one last night and misplayed numerous balls this year and cost the team runs. 

This happens over the course of a season and career. It’s not worth crying  over.

He will correct it and if not, he will get sent down but no reason to do it now and no reason to act like it’s the end of the world.