I am officially in the McKenna got to go camp

banks703

11 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

It still comes back to the original question, who replaces Ryan as a backup CF?

McKenna has a career WAR of -0.1 over 200 games.  He can be replaced by any number of free agents or available minor leaguers with a similar skill set. Off the Tides’ roster, maybe Daz Cameron.  On the current roster they can use Hays or Mateo (2021 Mateo played 126 innings in the OF with 67 innings in CF).  They can also acquire someone from outside the organization.  For example, somebody like Brett Phillips, who can’t hit but is a plus defender at all 3 OF positions, with a very good arm, and is a plus base runner should be available (currently w/ Angels, 5 games and 1 plate appearance).  Another guy is Magneuris Sierra, who has elite speed and defensive ability, but likewise is offensively challenged.  Sierra is currently with the Braves’ AAA affiliate.  Basically, there quite a few guys who are fast and can play really good defense, but are not major league quality hitters.  

McKenna is not a good baseball player. He's replacement level at best. He needs to be DFA'd, and Westburg promoted immediately to take his roster spot. 

McKenna's dropped ball in Boston and tonight's lazy catch allowing the runner to tag were extremely unprofessional, and mind-blowing for a player who's primary value is defensive, and who's clearly one of the very last players on the MLB roster. He should have been DFA'd after the April Fool's debacle.

PROMOTE WESTBURG. 

16 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

McKenna is not a baseball player. He's replacement level at best. He needs to be DFA'd, and Westburg promoted immediately to take his roster spot. 

McKenna's dropped ball in Boston and tonight's lazy catch allowing the runner to tag were extremely unprofessional, and mind-blowing for a player who's primary value is defensive, and who's clearly one of the very last players on the MLB roster. He should have been DFA'd after the April Fool's debacle.

PROMOTE WESTBURG. 

Have to agree. I liked McKenna and hoped his mishap in Boston was a one off thing, but apparently it wasnt.

His head just isnt in the game enough for a defensive role player. 

McKenna is not an MLB player.  He’s below replacement level & a career .589 OPS.  He makes mental and physicals errors in the field.  On top of that the karate kid headband thing is just brutal.  How he made the team and Franchy didn’t is beyond me.  I’m dumbfounded how he still has a job.  

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

McKenna is not an MLB player.  He’s below replacement level & a career .589 OPS.  He makes mental and physicals errors in the field.  On top of that the karate kid headband thing is just brutal.  How he made the team and Franchy didn’t is beyond me.  I’m dumbfounded how he still has a job.  

There has to be someone that can replace him that can cover CF on an as needed basis in the MiL's. 

I know Daz hasn't really hit but if his defense is good then bring him up. If I recall correctly he has speed so it's not like he couldn't step into a 4th outfielder role.

I've been skeptical about Austin Hays in CF for the last couple years, but in the small sample size, his sprint speed has improved to 71 percentile, up from 61 last year. The OAA number is awful though.

If Hays can't fill in, and considering Cameron is putting up poor numbers in AAA, then McKenna is as good as we've got. But I'd like to see him in a reduced role and not put in the lineup vs most lefties like a platoon role. Mullins has actually done okay vs lefties so far this year, and he should be given more of a shot.

Both of McKenna's big miscues this year were in games he started, and I actually wonder if he may be able to stay more focused in shorter stints as a late-inning defensive replacement as opposed to being out there all game.

McKenna is not the biggest problem the O's have.

Cameron in not on the 40 man roster.  I would not use a 40 man roster spot to swap McKenna for Cameron.  Its not an improvement. And Haskins has not spent enough time at AAA to prove he is ready.

I expect a starter to be sent down later today and Krehbiel called up.   Kremer is the leading candidate to go to Norfolk.   But lets see how Irvin does today.

I could also see them calling up O'Hearn for the road trip.   Vavra  or  Bemboom are vulnerable to be sent down.   O'Hearn is not on the 40 man.  Bemboom could be DFA'd or  Johnson would need to go on the 60 day IL to make room.    However the O'Hearn move is contingent  on the willingness to play him.   No use to call him up with a hot bat and have him sit.   Vavra  and Bemboom can sit without a move.

Edited by wildcard

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

This thread really makes clear why it’s impossible to win as a GM. 

The first guy says cut McKenna, go with Daz Cameron. But Daz isn’t any good. He’s been below-average as a hitter and fielder in the bigs, with the latter being a major problem in terms of taking over the McKenna role. He’s currently hitting .067 so far at Norfolk, so it’s not like he’s even seeing the ball well at present. It’s different just for the sake of different. 

The second guy says cut McKenna, go with someone like Brett Phillips. This board lost its mind when they traded for Phillips last year, and would presumably do so again, given that he was predictably bad in his short stint with the O’s. He also can’t hit lefties a lick, which makes him a bit pointless as a backup for Mullins. Also made an interesting suggestion in Magneuris Sierra, who is basically the same player as McKenna, just left-handed. And not currently in the organization.

The third guy says cut McKenna, go with Jordan Westburg already. Hard to figure that one, other than it would resolve two emotionally vexing issues of the moment. Not sure how adding Westburg addresses the hole the move would create, but I guess if the goal is to have the best 26 on the roster — and at-bats/playing time for all of them be damned — that would get the job done. 

At the end of it, everyone agrees that McKenna blows and should be replaced instantly. But the suggestions — except for Westburg, which again seems to create more problems than it solves — all involve other guys who, well, also blow. It’s replacing McKenna just for the sake of getting rid of McKenna, and each suggestion would probably get pilloried by the others who had a different idea.

Maybe they should dump McKenna, just to make a point about focus and fundamentals. It’s just a bottom-of-the-roster guy, not like it will really hurt much. But I don’t think they will. Making roster moves because of momentary frustration just doesn’t seem like this FO’s MO. They’re looking at McKenna as a guy who has consistently been an above-average defender at all 3 OF spots, who was worth damn near 1 full fWAR in 175 PAs, and who has never chafed at his limited role on this team. They’re not going to cut him loose unless there’s an actual upgrade to be found.

I don’t agree he blows and I don’t feel the need for him to be off the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

McKenna is not the biggest problem the O's have.

Cameron in not on the 40 man roster.  I would not use a 40 man roster spot to swap McKenna for Cameron.  Its not an improvement. And Haskins has not spent enough time at AAA to prove he is ready.

I expect a starter to be sent down later today and Krehbiel called up.   Kremer is the leading candidate to go to Norfolk.   But lets see how Irvin does today.

I could also see them calling up O'Hearn for the road trip.   Vavra  or  Bemboom are vulnerable to be sent down.   O'Hearn is not on the 40 man.  Bemboom could be DFA'd or  Johnson would need to go on the 60 day IL to make room.    However the O'Hearn move is contingent  on the willingness to play him.   No use to call him up with a hot bat and have him sit.   Vavra  and Bemboom can sit without a move.

Hyde said Bemboom was.on the roster only because we are facing the four lefties. I do expect O'Hearn as soon as there is a chance we can use him.

I agree McKenna is probably the best option but I'd like to see as little him as possible, offensively and defensively. Haskin is getting more interesting by the day. I would love some reports on his defense because he would be a natural platoon option for Mullins if he can play center.

I agree, Watkins or Krehbiel make sense. But who goes? DFA Voth or option Kremer? They said Grayson would start again. Could also option Gillespie or Baumann. Maybe Baumann who just pitched 2 last night.

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

This thread really makes clear why it’s impossible to win as a GM. 

The first guy says cut McKenna, go with Daz Cameron. But Daz isn’t any good. He’s been below-average as a hitter and fielder in the bigs, with the latter being a major problem in terms of taking over the McKenna role. He’s currently hitting .067 so far at Norfolk, so it’s not like he’s even seeing the ball well at present. It’s different just for the sake of different. 

The second guy says cut McKenna, go with someone like Brett Phillips. This board lost its mind when they traded for Phillips last year, and would presumably do so again, given that he was predictably bad in his short stint with the O’s. He also can’t hit lefties a lick, which makes him a bit pointless as a backup for Mullins. Also made an interesting suggestion in Magneuris Sierra, who is basically the same player as McKenna, just left-handed. And not currently in the organization.

The third guy says cut McKenna, go with Jordan Westburg already. Hard to figure that one, other than it would resolve two emotionally vexing issues of the moment. Not sure how adding Westburg addresses the hole the move would create, but I guess if the goal is to have the best 26 on the roster — and at-bats/playing time for all of them be damned — that would get the job done. 

At the end of it, everyone agrees that McKenna blows and should be replaced instantly. But the suggestions — except for Westburg, which again seems to create more problems than it solves — all involve other guys who, well, also blow. It’s replacing McKenna just for the sake of getting rid of McKenna, and each suggestion would probably get pilloried by the others who had a different idea.

Maybe they should dump McKenna, just to make a point about focus and fundamentals. It’s just a bottom-of-the-roster guy, not like it will really hurt much. But I don’t think they will. Making roster moves because of momentary frustration just doesn’t seem like this FO’s MO. They’re looking at McKenna as a guy who has consistently been an above-average defender at all 3 OF spots, who was worth damn near 1 full fWAR in 175 PAs, and who has never chafed at his limited role on this team. They’re not going to cut him loose unless there’s an actual upgrade to be found.

Or as a GM sometime over the last few years he could have acquired someone that could have better filled the rule.  Who is in on that Cameron Is the next guy in line?

I’ve never been a big McKenna fan.  We should be able to find a backup OF who is as good defensively, hits a little better and can steal some bases.  

That said, I don’t put his dropped ball in Boston in the category of a mental error or even a lazy play.   He just dropped it, like the Oakland RF dropped a routine fly ball against us last night.  It happens once in a blue moon.  It’s terrible, but it doesn’t reflect some character flaw of the player.  

The play last night was in a different category.  That’s not having your head in the game.  That’s not being aware of the game situation.  I don’t know that it gets McKenna sent to the minors, but it should get him a stern talking to from Hyde and Sanders.  

• Upvote 2

If we cut players because of mental lapses, the whole OF would be gone.

McKenna is fine for your 4th or more likely 5th OFer.  Good defense, has some speed, has a history that he can hit lefties well.  Was worth 1.3 WAR last year iirc.

You guys take a few negatives and blow them up into way more than they are.