Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m doubting we would have needed to trade someone more valuable than Lopez to get Cano.  You weren’t getting Povich for less valuable players but everyone else in that trade could be had for lesser pieces. Those types of deals happen quite often. 

I see. Yes, I am sure they would have asked for less for just Cano. The question is whether we had anything at the time they would have been interested in other than Jorge. You thinking Tate? We probably don't make that deal at that time but it looks good in hindsight. Either way, I am happy with what we got. 

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I see. Yes, I am sure they would have asked for less for just Cano. The question is whether we had anything at the time they would have been interested in other than Jorge. You thinking Tate? We probably don't make that deal at that time but it looks good in hindsight. Either way, I am happy with what we got. 

It could have been a far smaller deal. You likely don’t need to trade a ML asset for him.

He was essentially viewed as a throw in. Guys like him get DFA’ed relatively frequently. 

You don’t need to “rebuild” to acquire Yannier Cano. Your ability to develop him is where the true value is and that’s why I said we need to hope that Elias can keep doing this and not worry about spending money on relievers. It makes a tremendous difference to the teams  budget.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It could have been a far smaller deal. You likely don’t need to trade a ML asset for him.

He was essentially viewed as a throw in. Guys like him get DFA’ed relatively frequently. 

You don’t need to “rebuild” to acquire Yannier Cano. Your ability to develop him is where the true value is and that’s why I said we need to hope that Elias can keep doing this and not worry about spending money on relievers. It makes a tremendous difference to the teams  budget.

Guys like Cano get DFA’d frequently, this is true. But we’re not so sure that Cano himself would have been DFA’d at some point. 

I just want to know what Elias/Sig saw in him to target him in the trade when, I’m assuming, they could have picked any bit of Twins filler to close out the deal. Why’d they land on him?

Obviously they saw something they liked but I’d like to know if it was something as simple as spin rate or something more. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias done very well at acquiring cheap relievers. But that also goes to show why you don't need to pay Lopez, which was the main reason they traded him. Cano was icing on the cake. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Elias done very well at acquiring cheap relievers. But that also goes to show why you don't need to pay Lopez, which was the main reason they traded him. Cano was icing on the cake. 

Well, I don’t agree that you don’t need to pay Lopez. His salary this year isn’t that much and I would love to have a pen with him in it, along with Cano and Bautista.

And the main reason they traded him was they felt they were trading him at his high point.

• Upvote 1

Only in the land of 20/20 hindsight can you trade Jorge Lopez and get:

1. A cheaper possibly better reliever

2. A young LHP some consider a top 100 prospect

3. A legit prospect in Juan Nunez who throws mid 90s

4. A 19 yo LHP who also has a chance

And instead of just saying “looks like a good trade” suggest that we could have still gotten Cano and kept Jorge Lopez.   Amazing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m doubting we would have needed to trade someone more valuable than Lopez to get Cano.  You weren’t getting Povich for less valuable players but everyone else in that trade could be had for lesser pieces. Those types of deals happen quite often. 

While I'm sure you could, I don't really see fault in selling Lopez high and getting a great prospect and a possibly better reliever with years of control in return.  Would you rather have Cano and Lopez for an Orioles fill-in, or would you rather have Cano and Povich for Lopez?

I understand the argument for keeping Lopez; we were contending and came pretty close to a wild card spot.  But the flip side is that there was no guarantee that Lopez would keep being Lopez.  He did regress a bit in Minnesota.

Edited by Hallas

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Only in the land of 20/20 hindsight can you trade Jorge Lopez and get:

1. A cheaper possibly better reliever

2. A young LHP some consider a top 100 prospect

3. A legit prospect in Juan Nunez who throws mid 90s

4. A 19 yo LHP who also has a chance

And instead of just saying “looks like a good trade” suggest that we could have still gotten Cano and kept Jorge Lopez.   Amazing.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Hallas said:

While I'm sure you could, I don't really see fault in selling Lopez high and getting a great prospect and a possibly better reliever with years of control in return.  Would you rather have Cano and Lopez for an Orioles fill-in, or would you rather have Cano and Povich for Lopez?

I understand the argument for keeping Lopez; we were contending and came pretty close to a wild card spot.  But the flip side is that there was no guarantee that Lopez would keep being Lopez.  He did regress a bit in Minnesota.

Basically, would I rather have Lopez or Povich? 

I would rather have Lopez now and trade him in the offseason and get another Povich type prospect. (Or maybe this deadline)

If we had never dealt Lopez and he was pitching at that sub 2.5 ERA level, everyone here would be happy to have him and not worried a Povich like prospect while we are winning.

He would only have one year left but if he kept pitching at a high level, that type of prospect would be there for him.

Edited by Sports Guy

6 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Cano's pitches defy Newtonian mechanics.  His stuff is from the Quantum.  

Its like Darren O'Day or Zach Britton has been Quantum leapt into a near Mountain-sized dude.

I heard a breakdown of his movement profile, and the only comps it could find were like Adam Cimber, Jimmy Herget, underhand pitchers basically.     I'm sure the contrast between what Bats expect from the visual and what actually comes hasn't hurt this first time through the league.

Edited by Just Regular