Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who are most likely to the the O's All-Star reps? 

Adley? Cano?  Mateo?

Unless Cano gets hurt I can't see him not being an All Star. Even if opposing scouts find a hole somewhere in his game he has too many plus pitches to get beat up on a regular basis, so even worse case scenario his stats should still be AS caliber by the break.

Adley? Bank it. 

As for Mateo, if he doesn't stop trying to pull everything he might be a utility IF by then. 

11 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Adley for sure. 

Cano as long as he's still rolling like this.

Mullins would be my 3rd guess.

I don't think Mateo has a chance, especially since he's come back down to Earth.

It’s kind of ridiculous to speculate.   We’re not even at the quarter-pole yet.  The all star game is after Game 89 this year, and the reps aren’t picked until a little more than a week before that.  There will be many ups and downs for the players between now and then.  

1 hour ago, Filmstudy said:

What Cano is doing is fantastic and he's one of the players that makes the Orioles a lot of fun to watch.  However, all of the spanfinder searches for success in consecutive games seem to contain an IP limit north of 1 IP per game.  The list is completely dominated by 3-out relievers (many closers) if you reduce the IP requirement to 14 IP over 14 games and you find 40 streaks (some overlapping, I believe all with better WHIP) where a pitcher allowed 3 or fewer baserunners and 104 where a pitcher has allowed 4 (Cano has allowed 4):

https://stathead.com/baseball/player-pitching-span-finder.cgi?request=1&order_by_asc=1&order_by=p_h&year_min=1901&span_length=14&ccomp[1]=lt&cval[1]=3&cstat[1]=p_h&ccomp[2]=lt&cval[2]=1&cstat[2]=p_bb&ccomp[4]=gt&cval[4]=17&cstat[4]=p_ip

I don't want to harsh the buzz, but one of the things I dislike about freak-show statistics is the intentional exclusions to reduce group size.

I failed to copy the link correctly, but here is the correct one for 14+ IP over 14 G by ascending number of baserunners allowed:

https://stathead.com/tiny/9n87A

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s kind of ridiculous to speculate.   We’re not even at the quarter-pole yet.  The all star game is after Game 89 this year, and the reps aren’t picked until a little more than a week before that.  There will be many ups and downs for the players between now and then.  

I didn't know that every conversation had to be backed up with miles of data...Wildcard, which is someone that's a much more respected poster here than myself posed the question. 

23 hours ago, baltfan said:

Decent point but Valdez also only had one pitch.  This is like if you gave Valdez an elite sinker in addition to the change.  

Yes, I agree--that's why I said just "part of his pitch repertoire."

21 hours ago, Yanni Kolettis said:

Been an O's fan since sitting in the bleachers at Memorial Stadium as a pre-teen in the 70s.

Thought I'd make my first post about just placing $75 on Cano to win the AL Cy Young 😛 (pays $15,000).

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Zack Britton is a better comparison than Valdez. Cano's sinker may be about as good, not quite at Britton's 2016 groundball rate (76.5% vs 80%) but pretty close, more like his 2014 level. Cano's secondary pitch has been a lot more effective than Britton's slider.

The GB% makes me optimistic that even if his command regresses a little, he can still get out of jams by inducing DPs.

I think this point about how good Cano's secondary pitch is relative to Britton's (or Valdez's, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread) is crucial.

Hey fellas … first post but been an Os fan for 45 years. Grew up with watching Eddie Murray (my favorite player growing up) and obviously Cal. 

Anyway the Cano story is pretty terrific. His movement on his pitches is just amazing. I think it is easy to wanna move him to the closer role but I think we have a great situation w him as the setup guy with Felix remaining as the closer. 

This situation reminds me of Mariano and John Wetteland with the Yankees. I think it was 1996 or 97. Once they got a lead going into the 8th, it was game over. Hopefully we have the same situation this year. 

Oh as great as Rivera was, he only had one pitch that no one could hit. 

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Unless Cano gets hurt I can't see him not being an All Star. Even if opposing scouts find a hole somewhere in his game he has too many plus pitches to get beat up on a regular basis, so even worse case scenario his stats should still be AS caliber by the break.

Adley? Bank it. 

As for Mateo, if he doesn't stop trying to pull everything he might be a utility IF by then. 

I am thinking Mateo will have a big Pirates series.  Why?   Because the Pirate pitching is not as good as the Braves or Rays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Os4days said:

Hey fellas … first post but been an Os fan for 45 years. Grew up with watching Eddie Murray (my favorite player growing up) and obviously Cal. 

Anyway the Cano story is pretty terrific. His movement on his pitches is just amazing. I think it is easy to wanna move him to the closer role but I think we have a great situation w him as the setup guy with Felix remaining as the closer. 

This situation reminds me of Mariano and John Wetteland with the Yankees. I think it was 1996 or 97. Once they got a lead going into the 8th, it was game over. Hopefully we have the same situation this year. 

Oh as great as Rivera was, he only had one pitch that no one could hit. 

Welcome to the board!

• Like 1