The 2023 high water mark thread

Frobby

7 minutes ago, foxfield said:

24 Rick Dempsey WS MVP 1983. 40 years later 24 games over .500. Maybe the highest the franchise has been sine its glory days?  If not it’s gotta be getting close?  I looked on bbref but couldn’t determine.

What do you consider the glory days?   The 2014 O’s finished 30 games over .500.  

As I ride the light rail home, some thoughts and a question...

1) We are 9 games up on New York and have the tie break so they would have to make up 10 games in 57 to catch us.  They are playing for the wild card.

2) I'm not saying Kremer pitched well, he didnt.  But after all the complaining about his awful game and our awful bullpen... We held the Yankees to 3 runs and struck them out 18 times without using our best reliever.  Not bad!

3) Would love to win 3+ in Toronto.  But we are 5.5 up and if we split the series we'll still be 5.5 up and will have clinched the tie real against them too.  That would not be a bad position to be in come dinnertime Thursday.

4) at one point in the game thread someone said we learned more about the Orioles deadline plans from Buster Olney than we have all week from our best writers, or something like that.  Can someone who watched broadcast elaborate?  What did we learn?

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

1) We are 9 games up on New York and have the tie break so they would have to make up 10 games in 57 to catch us.  They are playing for the wild card.

2) I'm not saying Kremer pitched well, he didnt.  But after all the complaining about his awful game and our awful bullpen... We held the Yankees to 3 runs and struck them out 18 times without using our best reliever.  Not bad!

3) Would love to win 3+ in Toronto.  But we are 5.5 up and if we split the series we'll still be 5.5 up and will have clinched the tie real against them too.  That would not be a bad position to be in come dinnertime Thursday.

4) at one point in the game thread someone said we learned more about the Orioles deadline plans from Buster Olney than we have all week from our best writers, or something like that.  Can someone who watched broadcast elaborate?  What did we learn?

We learned Buster's speculative opinion that Justin Verlander makes a lot of sense because he went to Old Dominion University. 

AKA "not much."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Sorry folks.  Trying to post from a phone in a crowded train, I put this in the wrong thread.  My bad.  Don't keep this conversation going in this thread.

21 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Mt Fuji was throwing gas, Coulombe was filthy and Cano (with a new pitch?) looked dominant again.  Bullpen struck out eight of the last nine Yankee batters.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We learned Buster's speculative opinion that Justin Verlander makes a lot of sense because he went to Old Dominion University. 

AKA "not much."

Goochland represent! Believe he has property there still.  I’m not a fan of trading for him regardless if he *potentially grew up an Os fan. 

24 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

AKA "not much."

And ODU is much farther from B’more than where he grew up here in Virginia in Goochland County, just West of RVA. Unfortunately Buster isn’t informed enough to make his point seem even more valid.

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Goochland represent! Believe he has property there still.  I’m not a fan of trading for him regardless if he *potentially grew up an Os fan. 

Yup, often seen around Short Pump in the off-season with his hot a$$ wife. Member at Kinloch as well. 2 hour drive to Birdland if you pick your departure time just right.

Edited by RichmondVA Orio