Would it be crazy to stretch our Baumann to start in our rotation?

Roy Firestone

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With Tate and Givens coming back soon, stretching Baumann out in AAA might not be the worst move. 

You were worried about the bullpen.  Now that Baumann has established himself there you want to change it up again?

Guarantee you, if Baumann was starting he’d be struggling.  I also guarantee that if Kremer or Bradish or GRod were in the bullpen, that Roy would be suggesting we stretch them out to replace Baumann.

Actually, I’m not guaranteeing that Baumann would struggle which exactly why I’d like to use Hall out of the pen.  Baumann looks night and day from starter to reliever.   Maybe the confidence he’s gained would make a difference if he ever started again.

Edited by RZNJ

I can't believe this thread is still alive.  This needs to stop, Baumann failed as a starter multiple times, and is only now getting his legs under him as a bullpen guy.  If he was a viable starting option, they would not have converted him to a reliever less than two months ago.

Bury this thread.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely it is not crazy, depending on injury risk.  I don't know what latest thinking these days is about extending guys mid-season, and I know injuries are up (especially for pitchers) across the league, or at least I heard that on a podcast so it must be true.

The fact is, the rotation has been extremely poor, and in terms of player value, a starter is far more valuable than a mid-inning BP guy.

I think it should not be the top of the list of potential solutions, but it's got to be on the list, and if the rotation continues to struggle this badly, then the organization will need to get creative, because we just don't have SP depth with much realistic upside in the minors.

Edited by Emory Eagle
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 5:12 PM, Emory Eagle said:

Absolutely it is not crazy, depending on injury risk.  I don't know what latest thinking these days is about extending guys mid-season, and I know injuries are up (especially for pitchers) across the league, or at least I heard that on a podcast so it must be true.

The fact is, the rotation has been extremely poor, and in terms of player value, a starter is far more valuable than a mid-inning BP guy.

I think it should not be the top of the list of potential solutions, but it's got to be on the list, and if the rotation continues to struggle this badly, then the organization will need to get creative, because we just don't have SP depth with much realistic upside in the minors.

Are injuries up this season or in general? Have you read the statistics somewhere or is it just from the podcasts?

Personally I haven't noticed a significant change in injury, which is why I'm asking.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Baumann is becoming our 3rd man behind Cano and Bautista. Right now he’s right there with Baker and if we match up with Columbe. 

I don't feel very confident about that. Baumann and Baker are 'league averageish' arms. If we are going to continue along with one singular starter who can give us any kind of consistent length and the other 4 being '5 and dive' type guys; this is going to prove to become a problem down the stretch and likely into the postseason. I don't feel very confident in Baumann or Baker in high leverage spots in the 6th or 7th against good hitting teams. If Perez can continue to get his act together though, that might be your reliable '7th inning guy'.