Tigers Time

Just Regular

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's a sign of a weak draft at the top when a R/R 1B goes 1-1.

Funny how often scouts get the plus bat tool wrong, even with college guys.

I did think he'd walk more than he has.

Absolutely.

I thought Tork would be a good player(and he still might be) but like you said, that’s not the profile you want for a 1.1 pick.

But I can also see why that’s where they went. He should have been a “safe pick” there.

Also funny how one of the best players in that first round was the last pick..Bobby Miller for the Dodgers. See, you don’t need to tank to build a farm system.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Absolutely.

I thought Tork would be a good player(and he still might be) but like you said, that’s not the profile you want for a 1.1 pick.

But I can also see why that’s where they went. He should have been a “safe pick” there.

Also funny how one of the best players in that first round was the last pick..Bobby Miller for the Dodgers. See, you don’t need to tank to build a farm system.

I was surprised when they paid him over slot.  I think that was a mistake by the Tigers.  I would have told him to pound sand and collected an extra 1-1 next season before I did that for a 1B.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was surprised when they paid him over slot.  I think that was a mistake by the Tigers.  I would have told him to pound sand and collected an extra 1-1 next season before I did that for a 1B.

Nobody ever really wants to do that.  But you’d think they’d know his number before they picked him.   And maybe they did.  

Anyway, here’s hoping that Kjerstad turns out to be the best player from the top of the 2020 draft, despite his medical setback.  

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wouldn't it have been nice if the O's had money in the bonus pool left in 2017 to go over-slot on Miller when they drafted him in the 38th round?  He signed under the slot rate in 2020.  Would he have turned down $1m if we could have scrounged that up?  Interesting alternate universe to land DL Hall and Bobby Miller in the same draft!

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep. Zero reason to pay him overslot but let’s face it, that’s not exactly a smart organization. Tork and his agent know that, so they took advantage of stupidity.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea.  I wouldn’t have taken Kjerstad (preferred Veen) but Kjerstad was option 1a there.

I still find it funny how people cried over passing on Martin.

That said, Tork and Martin were the consensus top 2 guys in that draft and Martin looks like a complete bust and Tork is off to a bad ML start to his career. 

Bad year to pick 1. Taking a first baseman with the first pick is a big meh to me.

Not a fan of the guy but I assumed Keith Law knew what he was talking about when he liked Martin. I figured he would be some high doubles, OBP machine. 

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Orioles might want to move the game up for Saturday  Storms don't look severe yet but shear looks strong. Best bet of severe thunderstorms are from 5-8 PM right now.Timing aiways changes but looks like the rain cones in after 4 pm.

I just hope they don’t wait around forever to make a decision. 

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Orioles might want to move the game up for Saturday  Storms don't look severe yet but shear looks strong. Best bet of severe thunderstorms are from 5-8 PM right now.Timing aiways changes but looks like the rain cones in after 4 pm.

Do they ever play Saturday home games in the afternoon?  I don't have the stats, but it feels like the Orioles play fewer Saturday home games in the afternoon than any team in the majors.  I am not sure what they have against them when it can't be that much hotter during the day than it is in many of these other baseball cities.  Especially not in April and May.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Not a fan of the guy but I assumed Keith Law knew what he was talking about when he liked Martin. I figured he would be some high doubles, OBP machine. 

Just like we talk about with Vavra..if you don’t show enough power, your OBP will eventually not be good.

Martin had 2 major question marks…was he actually a SS(many felt no)? Could he hit for enough power to where his contract rate, walk rate, BA, etc..would be weapons?

So far the answer to both is a no, which was the direction I felt he was headed and ended up not wanting them to pick him. 

I was glad when they passed and had no issue with Kjerstad, even if he wouldn’t have been my first option (would have been my second option).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Although it has shifted in the last 24 hours.   Yesterday at this time it was expected to come through at 7 or later, now it's 5PM.   What if you move the game early and it winds up shifting again and coming through  when you play the game.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's a sign of a weak draft at the top when a R/R 1B goes 1-1.

Funny how often scouts get the plus bat tool wrong, even with college guys.

I did think he'd walk more than he has.

You've got to be real, real sure about a bat when you take a 1B 1-1.

The most shocking thing has been his inability hit fastballs at the major league level. Now the good news for him is that his expected numbers are better this year against them so maybe's he's been a but unlikely, but we typically see a guy who struggles with offspeed when they hit the majors, not fastballs. At least not for top hitting prospects. 

I think it's too early to call him a bust, but he's certainly reached disappointment stage.

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

You know what's nice is the balanced schedule means the Orioles aren't bouncing back to the AL BEast every other series.

We've already missed Gerrit Cole once.    In the newly rebalanced 2023, it might play out it is as important for the BAL bats to be very familiar with Joey Wentz and Matthew Boyd as it is Gerrit Cole, all of whom look to start against us twice or thereabouts.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep. Zero reason to pay him overslot but let’s face it, that’s not exactly a smart organization. Tork and his agent know that, so they took advantage of stupidity.

Now Scott Harris is in, and Al Avila is out, and Scott Harris already spent the winter selling 2023 wins to other Clubs.

I imagine come July he'll be happy to talk shop early, having already declared he isn't interested in rostering the world's Joe Jimenezes and Gregory Sotos.

I believe Eduardo has an opt out coming this offseason if he can do well enough, though anyone acquiring him would also acquire the risk he doesn't and you are paying him a lot for three more years.