3 LHP in Detroit... Could we see Westburg? (EDIT: It's Ortiz instead)

interloper

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Two things:

1.  I think pitchers are a little different than hitters.  They get yo-yoed around more often to plug holes when a bullpen is tired or a spot start os needed.  

2.  I don’t think anything Elias says about his general preferences about how and when to deploy players is going to be followed 100% of the time.  I don’t think the way Hall was used was consistent with what Elias says his preference is, but the particular circumstances of the moment dictated the decision.  Happens sometimes.  As Ralph Waldo Emerson said: “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.”

I completely agree.

I don't see why some folks aren't willing to accept that possibility.

There was zero chance Hall was staying up after that start last season, even if he had gone six scoreless.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I completely agree.

I don't see why some folks aren't willing to accept that possibility.

There was zero chance Hall was staying up after that start last season, even if he had gone six scoreless.

Everybody knows that.  They expressly said he would get one start and then transition to the bullpen.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Everybody knows that.  They expressly said he would get one start and then transition to the bullpen.

Right.

Which means:

Elias has been clear: He will call up prospects when he thinks they are ready to stay permanently in MLB.

Did not apply in this case.

End scene.

If I could really have my way. I would bring up Cowser and one of Ortiz, Westburg, and Norby. I would let Cowser play regularly in LF and move Hays to RF and Santander to DH.

The I would give regular ABs to whichever INF that the O’s thought was the best of the above 3 at put him at 2B. Then take the other 2, plus Urias (if need be) and even say a DL Hall and put together a trade package that beats ANY OTHER TEAM for the best available arm. 

IMO - This would be maximizing our assets and giving us the best chance to make a serious run in the postseason, instead of hedging our bets like we have been doing. 

I know that this most likely couldn’t happen until June/July when other teams are ready to start selling. But bringing up the young guys then would give them some chance to at least be acclimated by the time the Fall comes and we need everyone playing their best ball.

I understand that this is probably more of a fantasy than reality. But I’m hoping that Elias has a master plan in terms of how to turn all of these excess assets into a World Series contender. I hope he is not so in love with stashing assets/prospects that we wind up wasting opportunities being overly cautious.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right.

Which means:

Did not apply in this case.

End scene.

Don't be annoying and pedantic on purpose.  

They transitioned him to the bullpen and immediately brought him back up.

Again, if you're using this to argue they're likely to bring up Westburg to gain a platoon advantage for a couple days, you're not arguing in good faith and you're arguing just to argue.

Just now, Pickles said:

Don't be annoying and pedantic on purpose.  

They transitioned him to the bullpen and immediately brought him back up.

Again, if you're using this to argue they're likely to bring up Westburg to gain a platoon advantage for a couple days, you're not arguing in good faith and you're arguing just to argue.

No, you are arguing because it pains you that I refuted a point you made.  You can't seem to just admit, hey yea, the Hall move does mean that Elias won't do this 100% of the time.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, you are arguing because it pains you that I refuted a point you made.  You can't seem to just admit, hey yea, the Hall move does mean that Elias won't do this 100% of the time.

Which I acknowledged in my VERY FIRST post, when I acknowledged expediency.  

Nobody ever claimed 1000% of the time!

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My memory may be off, but I remember Elias making these comments when answering a question specifically about position players. I could be misremembering though. Just saying, don't yell at me CoC. 👊

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

My memory may be off, but I remember Elias making these comments when answering a question specifically about position players. I could be misremembering though. Just saying, don't yell at me CoC. 👊

That would be fine, that would be reasonable.

I'd still counter with Stowers.

I don’t think we see Westburg for a while yet. It could happen, but I doubt it. I could see JW becoming an OF, though, at some point soon if they decide to keep him in Baltimore. 

As far as replacing Vavra, McKenna and O’Hearn, there is a valid reason those players are in Baltimore and not the more highly thought of prospects. They are decent bench/role/part-time players. Bench guys do not get consistent play or at bats and that makes it tough to stay in a rhythm at the plate. McKenna, Vavra and O’Hearn are the type of hitters that have simple swings and seem to be decent in part-time roles. 

The prospects that so many keep clamoring for are better served staying in AAA and playing everyday. Their time will come. They should not come up and sit, like what happened to Stowers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I commend the enthusiasm that some of you have regarding certain prospects. I would just like to offer a realistic bar about expectations of performance regarding guys making the jump from AAA. Almost all of them (even the best/most talented prospects) struggle out of the game (first 20-40ish games) just like our most talented prospect Gunnar, Adley, and Grayson have done.

What makes Westburg different? Is there any realistic expectation that he could in any way come up to the bigs right now and give us the kind of production that Hays has this season?

I’m not sure I understand the advocacy for top 100 prospects to be used as platoon players unless they have had extreme splits in the minors. If we can’t find a full time or almost full time place for them. Wouldn’t it be better to extrapolate the most value from them to just package them in a trade for the kind of frontline pitching that can help this team win down the stretch and into the postseason?

I don’t want to dampen ANYONE’S enthusiasm and I recognize that some of these players could be family members or close friends of posters. But I think it may be helpful to have realistic expectations of young players. And also recognize that there are only so many slots on the Major League ball club, inevitably some of these young players are going to have to go. So, close personal relationships aside, it may be helpful (maybe not) not to get too attached?

Thanks for this...spot on.

We love ourselves some shiny young toys, until the shine wears off....like the call by one or more this week that Henderson needed to be sent back down.  We're very impatient.

In fact, that dude Nevin was crushing it last year in Norfolk prior to being called up to the majors, and then he floundered badly.  There are no guarantees.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

You're making more of a case than is needed here. I'm simply saying you gain a small tactical advantage by replacing a lefty on your bench with a righty for this series in particular. Even if Westburg goes right back down, he's a better option than Vavra just on the platoon odds. And again, you're a RH bat short with Hays out.

Overall I doubt it actually happens, but it's hard to imagine a more logical time to have him debut.

I don't think you shuttle these guys around while they're developing in order to create matchups.