Orioles acquire catcher, DFA Krehbiel

Legend_Of_Joey

6 hours ago, dedwretched said:

La Tortuga!

Oh man. He would be perfect. I didn’t know anything about him before I just looked him up, but he feels like he would be a fun 3rd catcher/4th bench player. A fan favorite who can play pretty much anywhere and can also be an emergency reliever. And now that Odor is gone, he could be our new enforcer in case there’s a fight. 

Willians Astudillo throws an absolute haymaker during this Venezuelan league game

Edited by RarityFlaherty

Did they have to put him on the 26 man, or could they just have put him directly in Norfolk?  Is him being on the 26man purely admin maneuvering?  I don't quite get it.  I understand taking a guy you like that is more talented than your 40th man, but to put him directly onto the 26th is odd to me.  He had a nice year in 2021.  Wonder what they saw that they liked.  Also wonder if Mcann is able to make it the entire year as backup - who knows, maybe Mcann has some stuff he's dealing with that their medical staff thinks might really bear itself in a month or two.  Strange move. 

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Can’t believe they have this stupid 3rd C nonsense again.  

It seems like it’s just a temporary move for Friday through Monday. We face LH SPs Fried on Friday and McClanahan on Monday. 

It looks like we’re matching up for these games with the Braves and Rays. Every game counts this year. I applaud Elias for working the 26 and 40 man rosters to win. This is what DD did. We wondered what Elias was going to be like when were trying to win. Well he’s making little moves and trying for incremental advantages. 

I think we DFA Turrens after the Rays series and try and pass his $1.2 million salary through waivers. O’Hearn simply will be optioned to AAA for him before Friday’s game. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Did they have to put him on the 26 man, or could they just have put him directly in Norfolk?  Is him being on the 26man purely admin maneuvering?  I don't quite get it.  I understand taking a guy you like that is more talented than your 40th man, but to put him directly onto the 26th is odd to me.  He had a nice year in 2021.  Wonder what they saw that they liked.  Also wonder if Mcann is able to make it the entire year as backup - who knows, maybe Mcann has some stuff he's dealing with that their medical staff thinks might really bear itself in a month or two.  Strange move. 

The move hasn’t been made but he’s going on the 26 man.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It seems like it’s just a temporary move for Friday through Monday. We face LH SPs Fried on Friday and McClanahan on Monday. 

It looks like we’re matching up for these games with the Braves and Rays. Every game counts this year. I applaud Elias for working the 26 and 40 man rosters to win. This is what DD did. We wondered what Elias was going to be like when were trying to win. Well he’s making little moves and trying for incremental advantages. 

Then match up with players that are actually good.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So we’re just Ohtanhi/Judge or bust?  

Elias has been making matchup moves. It started with Ortiz, then Stowers, now Turrens. After the Pirates series we could DFA Turrens and see what player works out the best for the upcoming matchups. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So we’re just Ohtanhi/Judge or bust?  

Elias has been making matchup moves. It started with Ortiz, then Stowers, now Turrens. After the Pirates series we could DFA Turrens and see what player works out the best for the upcoming matchups. 

Why does it have to Ohtanhi/Judge instead of just admitting that they have quality players in Norfolk that should be using the roster spot?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we DFA Turrens after the Rays series and try and pass his $1.2 million salary through waivers. O’Hearn simply will be optioned to AAA for him before Friday’s game. 

Ugh we face Fried, Strider, and McClanahan in 4 days. Can't wait for the phone notifcations of no hitter through 7 innings 

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Why does it have to Ohtanhi/Judge instead of just admitting that they have quality players in Norfolk that should be using the roster spot?

Who? You aren’t putting Westburg on the 40 man so he can play 4 games. You can’t call Ortiz up they just sent him down. 

Edited by eddie83

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

We need a RH bat for Fri-Mon. Ortiz isn’t eligible to be called up again because it hasn’t been 10 days since he was optioned. Once Westburg is added to the 40 man then he’s on there, so we lose that 40 man roster spot. So Elias simply went out and got us a bat that has a career .752 OPS vs LHP. 

We wanted an active GM that would find small advantages. Well we have it. It’s just a Friday - Monday move. Then Turrens gets DFA’d then maybe Vavra is back up. 

What is the worst that happens here?  We lose Turrens on waivers?  Ok.  Well that’s going to happen when you play the DFA game. The first year we had Steve Pearce we did the DFA game with him and lost him shortly, then quickly got him back. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You remember when Danny Coulombe was "no good" according to you?

It's the 26th spot on the roster.  Nobody's 26th spot is "good."

Our best hitter is a catcher.  It's a unique situation and it calls for unique solutions.

Edited by Pickles