Orioles acquire catcher, DFA Krehbiel

Legend_Of_Joey

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hmm, strange move. Why are they acquiring a $1.2 million backup catcher to be depth in AAA? I mean, I think people know how I feel about Bemboom so I think he's a better option if the Orioles need another catcher, but a bit weird considering the price tag.

I mean its not my money but not sure what his role is besides being catching depth.

It will be interesting to see if Krehbiel makes it through waivers. After watching some of the relievers we've faced, I have to imagine he'll get claimed. That actually shows the depth of our 40-man though. When you can't get guys through you have good guys. 

Handley hasn’t looked very good to start off season.  He’s right at his MiLB career numbers & D hasn’t been stellar.  Wonder if they are throwing up the white flag on Maverick as 2024 back-up and moving on.  

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Handley hasn’t looked very good to start off season.  He’s right at his MiLB career numbers & D hasn’t been stellar.  Wonder if they are throwing up the white flag on Maverick as 2024 back-up and moving on.  

It certainly does not say a lot of good things about him when the organization thinks so much of you that they go out and get a $1.2 million backup to their current catching tandem. Seems like he's behind him and Bemboom for even playing time. Wonder if they'll send him back to AA?

Just now, Tony-OH said:

It certainly does not say a lot of good things about him when the organization thinks so much of you that they go out and get a $1.2 million backup to their current catching tandem. Seems like he's behind him and Bemboom for even playing time. Wonder if they'll send him back to AA?

A month into the season, at a new level? I would hope Elias isn’t pulling that pin too early. 

• Upvote 1

McCann insurance for this year.  Basically a younger/cheaper McCann for next year.  He also has big time splits and hits LHP way better than RHP.  Career .725 OPS vs LHP, .584 vs. RHP.  

Catcher depth is never a bad thing.  Considering we used to be bare bones.  

We're going to rotate the bottom of the bench for matchups.  This helps.  

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Been pulling for the kid but early returns are pretty minimal.  Had a 4 hit game in first week and has had 4 hits in all the other games combined. 

He does have more BBS than Ks and a .400 OBP, though. 

Edited by emmett16

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

McCann insurance for this year.  Basically a younger/cheaper McCann for next year.  He also has big time splits and hits LHP way better than RHP.  Career .725 OPS vs LHP, .584 vs. RHP.  

They're still going to pay McCann either way.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

McCann is under contract for next year.