Orioles acquire catcher, DFA Krehbiel

Legend_Of_Joey

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

When the Os signed McCann, the talk was that he would get 60-80 starts. People scoffed at that and said that is unnecessary  to worry about.

Saying he is Aguilar’s replacement makes it worse, not better.

Well remember, I never saw a need for Aguilar with Stowers here, but I was trying to look at it from Elias' perspective, not mine.

I do think Rutschman needs more days off overall even though he's an impact bat in the lineup. McCann should be the guy that spells him, but in the same way Hyde has distain for Stowers hitting lefties, he seems to have the same for McCann (though he has more stats to say that's right). 

Now, would I have three catchers on this team, probably not. If I did have a 3rd catcher I'd want him to ideally bat left-handed to offset McCann late in games, but left-handed/switch hitting catchers are rare to find which is why Bemboom seems to be valued by Elias (though he can't hit regardless of which way he bats.)  

I have way more of an issue on how they play Stowers then with the 26th man since the Orioles seem to want to use that 26th man for matchups for a particular series or two vs long term. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Well remember, I never saw a need for Aguilar with Stowers here, but I was trying to look at it from Elias' perspective, not mine.

I do think Rutschman needs more days off overall even though he's an impact bat in the lineup. McCann should be the guy that spells him, but in the same way Hyde has distain for Stowers hitting lefties, he seems to have the same for McCann (though he has more stats to say that's right). 

Now, would I have three catchers on this team, probably not. If I did have a 3rd catcher I'd want him to ideally bat left-handed to offset McCann late in games, but left-handed/switch hitting catchers are rare to find which is why Bemboom seems to be valued by Elias (though he can't hit regardless of which way he bats.)  

I have way more of an issue on how they play Stowers then with the 26th man since the Orioles seem to want to use that 26th man for matchups for a particular series or two vs long term. 

As I said, I don’t have an issue with getting Torrens and I don’t have an issue rotating the 26th man in and out. 

My issue is the roster itself, how they use it and how they won’t bring up the better MiLers and rotate these guys in and out of the lineup.

If you have a better offense, you don’t feel the need to drive your best player into the ground. 

Again, if your lineup is that effected by one player sitting out from time to time, that is a real problem with roster construction…especially when you have potential short and long term solutions a few hours south of Baltimore, just sitting there waiting.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As I said, I don’t have an issue with getting Torrens and I don’t have an issue rotating the 26th man in and out. 

My issue is the roster itself, how they use it and how they won’t bring up the better MiLers and rotate these guys in and out of the lineup.

If you have a better offense, you don’t feel the need to drive your best player into the ground. 

Again, if your lineup is that effected by one player sitting out from time to time, that is a real problem with roster construction…especially when you have potential short and long term solutions a few hours south of Baltimore, just sitting there waiting.

I don't see what the 26th man has to do with a "problem with roster construction". They are just trying to use the last spot to their advantage. Nothing wrong with that. They could reduce wear on Adley by carrying a 3rd catcher permanently but I don't think anyone wants that. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't see what the 26th man has to do with a "problem with roster construction". They are just trying to use the last spot to their advantage. Nothing wrong with that. They could reduce wear on Adley by carrying a 3rd catcher permanently but I don't think anyone wants that. 

You may not feel the need to play Adley everyday if your roster was stronger. If you don’t feel that need, you don’t need a light hitting third catcher. If you don’t need the light hitting third catcher, you can have a better option on the bench.

Its all connected.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I like him as depth, but he probably clears. His good numbers at AAA were extremely superficial. Lot of walks and hits. 

He’s fine to keep around for depth. But if he’s picked up, he’s no loss.  Obviously Elias feels the same way.

I think this is also a good time to say that over the last 4 years, his split numbers have been all over the place but the Orioles have concluded, using their head scratching splits logic, that McCann can't hit righties and must be PH for late in games at all costs. 

Now, should he be probably lifted in a high leverage situation from the 7th inning on, probably, but how many times when he's catching or DHing is this going to happen in a season?

And if he's such a liability against right-handers, should he be DHing anyways? You know the starter is going to be out of the game most likely in high leverage innings so you are basically saying you are always going to need a handicap for your DH. 

Wouldn't it make sense and bring up Westburg or Ortiz to play 3B or 2B against lefties (Urias plays the other), putting Henderson and Frazier on the bench against lefties thus allowing them to be PHs for McCann in high leverage moments against righties? Even if Rutschman is DHing and you lose the DH, you still have one of Frazier or Henderson able to take that PA for the "pitcher" or McKenna if it's a left-hander. 

So I guess overall, I don't really see a need for a 3rd catcher unless this is a situation where you want to make sure you start giving Rutschman full days off.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You may not feel the need to play Adley everyday if your roster was stronger. If you don’t feel that need, you don’t need a light hitting third catcher. If you don’t need the light hitting third catcher, you can have a better option on the bench.

Its all connected.

Adley is a great hitter. I'd like him in the lineup as DH or C just about every day. Not because we have a poor roster but because he is one of the best hitters in MLB and a great option to DH when not available to catch. He's got 149 OPS+, he should not be completely benched unless absolutely necessary.

What I also want is the ability to pinch hit for McCann to help win games. The options then is 3rd catcher vs more wear on Adley. The compromise here is to rotate the 26th man between 3rd C and extra bat depending on team need. It seemed weird at first but I think I see what they are doing and it makes sense. 

33 minutes ago, interloper said:

I like him as depth, but he probably clears. His good numbers at AAA were extremely superficial. Lot of walks and hits. 

Krehbiel is fine as a depth up/down reliever guy, but there are several guys in Norfolk I could say the same thing about. I would not be surprised to see him claimed or traded for a low end DSL lottery ticket pitcher. BTW, Krehbiel has become a changeup, cutter guy now and that's part of his command problems. He must've been told to work on those pitches because he throw more fastballs last year.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Adley is a great hitter. I'd like him in the lineup as DH or C just about every day. Not because we have a poor roster but because he is one of the best hitters in MLB and a great option to DH when not available to catch. He's got 149 OPS+, he should not be completely benched unless absolutely necessary.

What I also want is the ability to pinch hit for McCann to help win games. The options then is 3rd catcher vs more wear on Adley. The compromise here is to rotate the 26th man between 3rd C and extra bat depending on team need. It seemed weird at first but I think I see what they are doing and it makes sense. 

I don’t think we can call Adley a great hitter yet. 

And no, he shouldn’t play everyday. He should play 145-150 games at most.