Orioles acquire catcher, DFA Krehbiel

Legend_Of_Joey

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, yes that's part of it.  It's getting Adley's bat in the lineup AND not catching him as much, which is kind of the same thing.

Might be trying help out the “old” 32y/o back-up as well.  I’ve noticed they’ve put Adley in to catch a couple times on “off” days as late inning D replacement after running for Mcann.  Wonder isn’t this is to help take some load off both.  As Santander so emphatically displayed on Tuesday, catching is brutal.  

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You can still get Adley’s bat in the lineup without the third catcher. They have literally done it all year long.

You can, but then you have to bring Adley back at C if you pinch hit for McCann. It is very difficult to give Adley full games at DH and avoid McCann vs RHP. I'm curious to see how this plays out. 

The new guy is not on the 26 man as of this morning, so has he already been designated again?

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

You can, but then you have to bring Adley back at C if you pinch hit for McCann. It is very difficult to give Adley full games at DH and avoid McCann vs RHP. I'm curious to see how this plays out. 

The new guy is not on the 26 man as of this morning, so has he already been designated again?

No. I’m sure he will be added after the game. They can send O’Hearn down now since he has an option if they choose. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Roch said a move is coming. The team wants a third catcher for now.

And the first part is easily avoidable..you just keep McCann in the game or only pinch hit very late.

Any plan that calls for running Adley into the ground is really really stupid.

Now, maybe the plan is to play him a lot early and really give him a lot of rest as it gets hotter out. But they should be taking advantage of the softer schedule and resting him more now.

They also could do this if they were giving at bats to their better players and not carrying third catchers, giving at bats to guys like Vavra, etc…

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Today is a McCann day vs RHP.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Roch said a move is coming. The team wants a third catcher for now.

And the first part is easily avoidable..you just keep McCann in the game or only pinch hit very late.

Any plan that calls for running Adley into the ground is really really stupid.

Now, maybe the plan is to play him a lot early and really give him a lot of rest as it gets hotter out. But they should be taking advantage of the softer schedule and resting him more now.

They also could do this if they were giving at bats to their better players and not carrying third catchers, giving at bats to guys like Vavra, etc…

This helps them reduce wear on Adley which is exactly what you want. Not sure what the issue is except he will probably take O'Hearn's spot for a few days. Even if you wait til the 7th or 8th (as they have been) that forces Adley back in the game which they don't want to do. O'Hearn gets to start 10 games in AAA and get some reps while waiting to come back. 

Whatever this move ends up being, it's going to be highly temporary and won't really matter. If they option Stowers that's lame but par for the course. If they option O'Hearn, fine. If they DFA Torrens immediately, sure. 

Much less worried about this unimportant roster move than I am about the SP wilting in May. 

Edited by interloper

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'd like to see Stowers stay up. That's really my biggest gripe about this move. I'm not a big fan of carrying 3 catchers either.

I hope he stays up as well. I think he will. 
It’s 3 catchers for a limited time. Temporary move. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Can’t believe they have this stupid 3rd C nonsense again.  

It looks better if you look at McCann as the Jesus Aguilar replacement as the backup first baseman/RH DH who happens to be able to catch. 

I mean, O'Hearn only makes sense on this roster if you really are going to give Mountcastle less time, because other than that, he doesn't have a real role, at least while Stowers is here. Then again, Hyde apparently has little to no respect for Stowers as a player so they will probably send him back to the minors. 

Saying all that, it seems like the Orioles have managed just fine with just McCann and Rutschman most of the season, but maybe they want to get McCann more PAs, but don't like him late in games against a tough righty. 

It's not ideal, but Hyde has not used his 26th man ideally all season and makes some really weird PH decisions early in games that potentially handcuff him later. 

One of the things Earl Weaver was great at was understand roles for his players and putting them in the best position to maximize their skills. I don't think that's a strength of Hyde's as a manager. Besides, for the life of me I don't understand Hyde's absolute distain for using Stowers against lefties but will run Henderson out there against tough ones. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

It looks better if you look at McCann as the Jesus Aguilar replacement as the backup first baseman/RH DH who happens to be able to catch. 

I mean, O'Hearn only makes sense on this roster if you really are going to give Mountcastle less time, because other than that, he doesn't have a real role, at least while Stowers is here. Then again, Hyde apparently has little to no respect for Stowers as a player so they will probably send him back to the minors. 

Saying all that, it seems like the Orioles have managed just fine with just McCann and Rutschman most of the season, but maybe they want to get McCann more PAs, but don't like him late in games against a tough righty. 

It's not ideal, but Hyde has not used his 26th man ideally all season and makes some really weird PH decisions early in games that potentially handcuff him later. 

One of the things Earl Weaver was great at was understand roles for his players and putting them in the best position to maximize their skills. I don't think that's a strength of Hyde's as a manager. Besides, for the life of me I don't understand Hyde's absolute distain for using Stowers against lefties but will run Henderson out there against tough ones. 

When the Os signed McCann, the talk was that he would get 60-80 starts. People scoffed at that and said that is unnecessary  to worry about.

Saying he is Aguilar’s replacement makes it worse, not better.

16 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Carrying a third catcher seems unnecessary, but I guess he can also be an emergency relief pitcher. He got a win pitching in the 10th inning of a double header for the Mariners last season. If we want to have some versatility with Adley at DH, I’d rather carry one backup catcher and then find a 4th bench player who’s a utility guy that could play catcher in a pinch. Is there anyone like that who could be available? 

Terrin Vavra caught towards the end of yesterday's Tides game.