I'm sure of this....Swept by the Braves.

ShoelesJoe

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wife's outta town, kid's usually in bed by 6:30-7.  I've got nothing else to do tonight other than sit around.  Part of me wants to watch tonight's game but another part of me just wants to watch a movie.

Real question is how the hell do you get your kids to bed at 6:30 or 7?  Do they wake up at 4am? I an lucky to get mine in bed by 8:30 and hopefully asleep by 9:30. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wife's outta town, kid's usually in bed by 6:30-7.  I've got nothing else to do tonight other than sit around.  Part of me wants to watch tonight's game but another part of me just wants to watch a movie.

Tonight I think I'm going to revert to my usual during the rebuild years. Game on the laptop off to the side, on mute (MUTE IS KEY TO NOT RAGING OUT). Watch a movie or play video games and just kind of let the loss happen. If something cool happens, great, can always pivot. If not, I didn't spend my entire evening feeling crappy about Kremer getting his teeth kicked in and the offense flailing at another LH SP. 

:)

• Upvote 1

It's weird to feel so down about this upcoming series when we're 10 games above .500. I know that's kind of silly, but it's hard to ignore the nature of the wins we do have (over half are comeback wins on the backs of an excellent, but overworked bullpen). Or the run differential/pythag teetering precipitously on the edge. Or the lack of quality starts in the rotation. 

I think our offense can bang with anyone, honestly. But up against 3 guys with ERAs below 3 in a series, two of whom are left-handed? Maaaan. That's about as rough of a matchup as you could hope for. Maybe baseball will be weird and we'll do well! Personally I'm terrified lol. Which is why I don't play professional baseball. 

Edited by interloper

I think we surprise the Debbie Downers and Negative Nancies and take 2 out of 3 from Atlanta.  One thing consistent from this team: somebody always steps up.

I'm camping this weekend, but bringing my laptop and hot spot and will watch as much of the games as I can.

Edited by yark14

Looking at who they’ve played, they’ve had a pretty soft schedule, depending on what you think of Miami, which has a 16-16 record but lost 6 of 7 to the Braves.   

They rank 2nd in runs and 1st in ERA in the NL.  Hard to argue with that.  Sean Murphy is making them look like geniuses for trading for him and then locking him up.  

Last August we went into Houston as MASSIVE underdogs and Bradish and Kremer shut down the Astros and we won 2 of 3. I am praying for the same in this series.

That said I would be happy winning one of three. 2/3 would be a miracle.

I don't think we are as bad as the Pirates, so hopefully it won't be a complete beatdown.

I'd be thrilled going 2-4 in the next 6.

Something needs to be done about the SP regardless of the next 6 games. DL Hall, Drew Rom, Spencer Watkins.. the big league club will be calling upon you soon.

Good job overall.

I'm a little sad they didn't go for the jugular the last 6 outs yesterday, but I'm sure they have data.

Some of that was today being the eve of the RAYS SERIES, and the thought we might try to enter that with the A relievers rested.     Had the aces gotten those 6 outs last night, I would have been happy for Austin Voth to throw a 174 pitch complete game today.

If a Cionel move is going to happen, these 24 hours are a pretty high leverage point.

Orioles basically played the Braves to a tie at their stadium. In fact, they outscored them. I would say that's pretty good, though two bullpen losses in a row leave a bad taste. You can't contend in today's game if your bullpen can't hold leads late. Recall the Royals' formula in their good years in the 2010's. They had those three guys pitching the seventh, eight, and ninth innings, which were just lights out.

• Upvote 1

We played toe to toe with the most talented team in baseball imo.  We could have easily took 2-3 or all 3 with just an average job with runners in scoring position.  2-23 the last two games of the series makes it hard to win against good teams.  I feel better about this series then the previous Royals series were we struggled to take 2 out of 3.

I'd feel somewhat better about this series and the way we played against a really good team if we didn't have 3 against the Rays starting tomorrow.  We're looking at 5 losses in a row, or at least dropping another series for a 2nd series in a row.

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

We played toe to toe with the most talented team in baseball imo.  We could have easily took 2-3 or all 3 with just an average job with runners in scoring position.  2-23 the last two games of the series makes it hard to win against good teams.  I feel better about this series then the previous Royals series were we struggled to take 2 out of 3.

2-23 with RISP is what happens when you're going up against really good pitching.  We were able to knock Fried around but Strider and Elder were a different story.  I don't think their bullpen is awful, either.

Our offense is significantly better than what it used to be, although hackers like Mountcastle and Hays still remain.  But good pitching can do that to even a good offense like ours.

We played one of, if not, the most talented teams in baseball.  The Braves came into the series playing well, almost completely healthy, and played them on their terf.

In the first game, Snitker had no concerns about the Orioles and played his infield back with a man on 3rd and less than two outs.  No problem.  The Braves will score plenty and the Orioles will be lucky to get another off of Fried.  WRONG!!

Game 2.  Same situation.   Now Snitker’s got a little more respect for who the opponent is.

Woulda coulda shoulda.  We were close to sweeping but close doesn’t count.  Our starting pitching was good enough.   Our bullpen, despite two losses, was there.   The Braves have maybe the best player in baseball with a healthy Acuña.  Olson, Riley, and Murphy are some serious power hitters.  Albies is very good.   No moral victories but I feel good about the O’s moving forward.  Also, to Austin Voth.  Welcome back!