Captain Obvious: the O’s won’t beat good teams pitching like this

Frobby

9 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree that we are going to have to wait awhile. But if you listened to Hyde’s interview on MLB radio before today’s game and read between the lines of “our guys are just young and inexperienced”. I got the sense that they know that they need someone to anchor the rotation at the top if they want to contend in the post season.

Yea I think they know they do. But I am worried they completely fall before guys really become available in July, and they just decide to do nothing because they are out of contention. Or they keep up with acquiring the same old same old type of pitchers and trade for the Cole Irvins of the world

It’s true they won’t beat good teams pitching like this, but they did the same thing against Oakland. A bad team scored 23 runs in the last three games of that series. The next week the pitching staff went 34 innings without allowing a run.  Against KC, a bad team just scored 23 runs against us. It will be tougher to respond against Atlanta and Tampa, but we seem to have played to the level of our competition a lot this year. 

I’m more concerned about our offense than pitching. 

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Is it the consensus that Cionel is gone? It makes sense to me, but think Voth might be in danger too. 

Voth has been decent of late. Can go 3 innings, and can even get back into starting.  Cionel is a one inning guy who shows no signs of coming around.   We can’t spend half a season or more waiting for him to get back on track.   He’s going to have to find himself someplace else.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Voth has been decent of late. Can go 3 innings, and can even get back into starting.  Cionel is a one inning guy who shows no signs of coming around.   We can’t spend half a season or more waiting for him to get back on track.   He’s going to have to find himself someplace else.

He’d be my choice too, but I would be surprised to see Hyde and Elias drop a guy who was so key to their success last year. I could see Baumann getting sent down also. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

He’d be my choice too, but I would be surprised to see Hyde and Elias drop a guy who was so key to their success last year. I could see Baumann getting sent down also. 

For me the go to guys in the bullpen right now are

1. Cano

2. Bautista

3. Baker

4. Baumann

5. Coulombe

6. Akin (over Voth mostly because he’s LH)

7. Voth

8. Perez 

Baumann made a couple of mistakes his last two outings but he’s been nails overall and his stuff looks really good.  Last outing he was dotting the zone with a consistent 97 mph fastball but hung a cutter.   When he commands his curve he looks elite.  Having said all that, optioning him would be one way to hang on to Cionel.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

Yea I think they know they do. But I am worried they completely fall before guys really become available in July, and they just decide to do nothing because they are out of contention. Or they keep up with acquiring the same old same old type of pitchers and trade for the Cole Irvins of the world

I understand your concerns and there is a little but of worry that I have too as it relates to their offseason approach and the awful ownership.

However, I do not see a world where they completely fall off and out of contention by the deadline. Even if they go like 5 games under for the rest of May (which assumes they lose almost every series save 1 or 2) they are still 6 games over heading into June, where the schedule will soften again then.

I am not as worried about an Irvin like acquisition from this perspective, they have an over abundance of prospects, many at similar position and some are already staffed at the Big League level. In other words, there is a very low likelihood that Ortiz, Westburg, Norby, and Cowser ALL join and stay on the Baltimore Orioles. There is just no place to put them. I would argue only 2 out of that group can stay.

Even if the Orioles want to "go cheap" in a trade and not go after someone like Cease, they could acquire an Eduardo Rodriguez with a top 100 prospect and maybe a one or two of the guys towards the lower end of our top 20 because EdRod has that opt-out. 

Either way, NOBODY (not even the Dodgers) can beat us in ANY trade. If we want that player we can have them.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1. Cano

2. Bautista

3. Baker

4. Baumann

5. Coulombe

7. Voth

8. Perez 

Baumann made a couple of mistakes his last two outings but he’s been nails overall and his stuff looks really good.  Last outing he was dotting the zone with a consistent 97 mph fastball but hung a cutter.   When he commands his curve he looks elite.  Having said all that, optioning him would be one way to hang on to Cionel.

Our bullpen is good now (save yesterday's abysmal performance) and it will get even better/stronger when we add Tate and Givens. However, if we don't find a way for our starters to get deeper into games and not be terrible, it won't really matter.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

It’s true they won’t beat good teams pitching like this, but they did the same thing against Oakland. A bad team scored 23 runs in the last three games of that series. The next week the pitching staff went 34 innings without allowing a run.  Against KC, a bad team just scored 23 runs against us. It will be tougher to respond against Atlanta and Tampa, but we seem to have played to the level of our competition a lot this year. 

I’m more concerned about our offense than pitching. 

Are you aware we have the 6th best offense in MLB?

And the 18th best pitching staff?  (using cumulative ERA)

Is this just a 'feelings' thing?   Or do you really think those numbers are not representative of reality?

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We have a tough stretch of 22 games.  If we can go 11-11 we’ll be in good shape.  We all know this isn’t a 110 win team.   Kremer and Bradish.  Time to step up.  

Same for me. Would take .500. 

Angels and Pirates worry me the least but it’s baseball. Any one series means nothing.  

I am more concerned with the fact that our division is completely insane.  We are already 42 games over .500 and it is May 5.  The next best is the NL East at a whopping 5 games over.  Every other division is under .500.  

You can remove Tampa, Baltimore, and Boston and the AL East would STILL be more games over .500 than any other division.  I knew the Red Sox were way more talented than people wanted to admit, but good grief.  Things should level off at some point, but this is crazy.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

1. Cano

2. Bautista

3. Baker

4. Baumann

5. Coulombe

7. Voth

8. Perez 

Perez needs an IL trip. Then go to AAA for rehab outings.