Should we claim Franmil Reyes

sportsfan8703

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's all well and good. You can think anything what you want. But, no one has been able to to me when the Orioles were able to do this and then trade them for value which so what the OP wanted to do.

I don't believe the Orioles have some magic formula that suddenly makes hitters better. 

If they did, Mountcastle would not be swinging at pitches three feet outside of the zone and have a .270 OBP.

We’ve had success with albeit SSS so far in Norfolk this year with Lewin Diaz, O’Hearn, Daz Cameron, and even Franchy Cordero just this calendar year. Of course it’s easy to point to Mateo and Urias, but I’ll just point to the above players. Diaz has never shown this type of SO/BB ratio before. Cameron has a .797 OPS. O’Hearn was .900 OPS +. We all know the ST Cordero had. 

This isn’t banging the drum for Julio Terehan. Reyes is 27 and outside of 2022/23 he’s been a really productive MLB player. With power. Power is at a premium. And we need RH power in the OF. Plus he has two options. 

I know we can’t pick up every player, but this is a good risk to take for the potential upside. We’ve worked out deals before. See O’Hearn trade. Maybe they’d kick in some salary relief for a DSL flyer, or we just absorb the remaining salary. 

Reyes was good when he was around winning teams. The cubs and royals can’t offer the same optimism we can. We’re a young team. Even selling him on Norfolk where everyone is mashing is a positive. 

It’s a low risk/high reward. 30 HR type power reward. And he’s only 27. 

Send him to AAA for a month. Let him get a change of scenery and organizations. Before he was a mercenary on a tanking team just looking to have a bounce back season and get paid. Now he can be a part of an org that is trying to win. That stuff can matter. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1.  Just because the Orioles haven’t done it doesn’t mean it can’t be done.  
2.  Why limit this to players who were traded after having success? Let’s say Mateo finishes the year with an .800+ OPS.  (Granted, it’s not at all a given that this will happen, and his OPS has dropped like a rock in the last week or so.)   Would the fact that he hasn’t been traded detract from the claim that the Orioles were able to remake him?   
I feel like I could come up with plenty of examples of players who struggled with one organization and thrived with another.  Mike Yastrzemski and J.D. Martinez come immediately to mind.  

Did the Orioles remake Mateo or was he on a heater this April? Remember, they supposedly worked with him last August and he didn't hit well last September. 

Sure, players sometimes get better and sure, sometimes that happens with other teams, but nothing of Reyes numbers and struggles against offspeed and breaking balls suggest he will suddenly get better.

I'm not arguing that players get better. But I'd imagine the Royals know him better than anyone and they DFA'd him and they're not exactly good. If they thought he could be reworked, why not just send him to the minors to figure it out?

I haven't gone and looked at him too closely, because honestly, the organization should be well past these kinds of reclamation projects.

I’m not opposed in theory.  But I don’t see the fit considering the other options.  

If they want to stress test the SigBot swing decision models and development program, Franmil Reyes would be a prime subject!

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ve had success with albeit SSS so far in Norfolk this year with Lewin Diaz, O’Hearn, Daz Cameron, and even Franchy Cordero just this calendar year. Of course it’s easy to point to Mateo and Urias, but I’ll just point to the above players. Diaz has never shown this type of SO/BB ratio before. Cameron has a .797 OPS. O’Hearn was .900 OPS +. We all know the ST Cordero had. 

This isn’t banging the drum for Julio Terehan. Reyes is 27 and outside of 2022/23 he’s been a really productive MLB player. With power. Power is at a premium. And we need RH power in the OF. Plus he has two options. 

I know we can’t pick up every player, but this is a good risk to take for the potential upside. We’ve worked out deals before. See O’Hearn trade. Maybe they’d kick in some salary relief for a DSL flyer, or we just absorb the remaining salary. 

Reyes was good when he was around winning teams. The cubs and royals can’t offer the same optimism we can. We’re a young team. Even selling him on Norfolk where everyone is mashing is a positive. 

It’s a low risk/high reward. 30 HR type power reward. And he’s only 27. 

Send him to AAA for a month. Let him get a change of scenery and organizations. Before he was a mercenary on a tanking team just looking to have a bounce back season and get paid. Now he can be a part of an org that is trying to win. That stuff can matter. 

No offense, but if this is your "proof" I'm just going to bow out of this and simply say I disagree. Enjoy your day on the board!

Oh, I will end on this. I would not be shocked if Elias did claim him or traded for him. Afterall, this is a guy who signed Frazier to $8 million contract, signed Aguilar last year and is carrying 3 catchers for no apparent reason. 

Elias clearly has his own plan on how to build a roster and the common ways of doing so across baseball is not part of his plan. The Orioles are doing well overall this year so he may get the last laugh, but I continue to have concerns about his roster management and clearly his offseason roster building.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Oh, I will end on this. I would not be shocked if Elias did claim him or traded for him. Afterall, this is a guy who signed Frazier to $8 million contract, signed Aguilar last year and is carrying 3 catchers for no apparent reason. 

Elias clearly has his own plan on how to build a roster and the common ways of doing so across baseball is not part of his plan. The Orioles are doing well overall this year so he may get the last laugh, but I continue to have concerns about his roster management and clearly his offseason roster building.

Franmil Reyes doesn’t make or break us. This is the type in season low risk move that Elias has made. Aguilar was a little older and didn’t have the track record of Reyes. Plus Reyes can play some OF. 

I appreciate your opinions. Nobody can truly predict what Elias does. I do think this is right up his alley. 

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Did the Orioles remake Mateo or was he on a heater this April? Remember, they supposedly worked with him last August and he didn't hit well last September. 

Sure, players sometimes get better and sure, sometimes that happens with other teams, but nothing of Reyes numbers and struggles against offspeed and breaking balls suggest he will suddenly get better.

I'm not arguing that players get better. But I'd imagine the Royals know him better than anyone and they DFA'd him and they're not exactly good. If they thought he could be reworked, why not just send him to the minors to figure it out?

I haven't gone and looked at him too closely, because honestly, the organization should be well past these kinds of reclamation projects.

Like I said. I’m not arguing for making Reyes an Orioles reclamation project.  And I agree that the jury is still out on Mateo.   He seems to have a pretty dramatic on/off switch.  In 7 games this month he’s hitting .167/.200/.208 with 11 K’s in 26 PA.

Reyes is only 2.5 years older than Adley. He’s got HR seasons of 37, 30, and 27 under his belt. 

He’s the type of player we should be taking a chance on given that he even has two MILB options. 

It’s a game worth taking. It feels a need we have. RH RF.