Orioles bring up Rom, O'Hearn, and Vavra

Aglets

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I of course haven't played but I don't think it is.

I think it's less stressful than catching but I don't think it's a day off.

Especially when you end up catching anyway.

A catcher has to get into a crouch about 150 times a game.    While DH'ing isn't technically a day off, I think it's not that taxing physically and a welcome relief for a catcher.     The manager and the player, who I'm sure is consulted, seem to feel the same.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

A catcher has to get into a crouch about 150 times a game.    While DH'ing isn't technically a day off, I think it's not that taxing physically and a welcome relief for a catcher.     The manager and the player, who I'm sure is consulted, seem to feel the same.

Sure, it's less taxing.

But I don't think it's the same as a day off, not even close.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, it's less taxing.

But I don't think it's the same as a day off, not even close.

If having a day off is a 0 and playing 9 innings at catcher is 100, I’ll put playing DH at about a 20 on the “taxation scale.”  It’s much closer to having a day off than it is to playing a game at catcher.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Looks like this is our everyday IF until we face a Lefty again…

3B Gunnar

SS Mateo

2B Frazier

Activating IRON MAN mode for Gunnar could be a silver lining in this very gray news.     This is what the Urias-Frazier-Vavra, etc. redundancy is for.

34 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Yeah, I think Rom it is just his day same as Hall in Detroit.    I am going to guess he has a little better cliche command and won't say "not ideal".     I don't begrudge Hall feeling that by now, its just the saying it to Roch Kubatko or equivalent.

Activate Moonlight Graham watch because there may be multiverses in which he goes down for Givens before the weekend and never makes it back.

I hope sometime this year Rom and Hall are both regularly among Hyde's 18 or so guys occupying 13 roster spots any given day.     Just watch out for Povich in the rear view.

Povich would have to figure out how to put up an ERA of less than 4.00 above low-A ball before he shows up in anyone's rear view.

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I wonder if other teams stress about the righty/lefty matchups as much as Baltimore?

The Rays apparently do. Their lineup tonight is quite different from last night's lineup.

5 minutes ago, deward said:

Povich would have to figure out how to put up an ERA of less than 4.00 above low-A ball before he shows up in anyone's rear view.

Not really the thread for this, but Povich has a 1.91 FIP this season in AA.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So glad we have hamstrung the offense for a third catcher this year while continuing to drive Rutschman into the ground.

So dumb.

Agreed, I don't get this.  Didn't we learn with Wieters?  I believe if Wieters had caught less innings, he would have had better offensive numbers.  And I really hate it when a manager says that he checked with the player and the player said he was fine to play....well no s&%$, players will always say that.  It's a manager's job to save the player from himself, especially with catchers who are the franchise player...

1 minute ago, Otter said:

Agreed, I don't get this.  Didn't we learn with Wieters?  I believe if Wieters had caught less innings, he would have had better offensive numbers.  And I really hate it when a manager says that he checked with the player and the player said he was fine to play....well no s&%$, players will always say that.  It's a manager's job to save the player from himself, especially with catchers who are the franchise player...

I think that if Wieters hadn't blown out his UCL he would have had better offensive numbers.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I of course haven't played but I don't think it is.

I think it's less stressful than catching but I don't think it's a day off.

Especially when you end up catching anyway.

It’s silly to say it’s the same thing. It’s not just a physical worn down that is an issue, it’s mental too.

I’m not saying it’s the reason Adley is slumping. We don’t know. He could just be slumping but he can’t keep this pace up.  Not to mention, he’s DHing too much and not catching enough (over the course of the season as this pace) and that’s where his value is.