Orioles bring up Rom, O'Hearn, and Vavra

Aglets

5 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Vavra makes some sense as the guy to bring up to replace Urias (while Torrens gets DFA'd) because Vavra can serve as an emergency catcher. 

However, hate the move to bring back O'Hearn, and I hate that Westburg and Coswer are still in AAA. They need to be added to the roster immediately. 

These moves also increase or maintain the reliance on Frazier and McCann, which is stupid. They're not good players, they're replacement level at best and McCann isn't good enough to start regularly against lefties - he should strictly be a backup catcher playing sparingly. Terrible roster management by Elias.

O'Hearn and McKenna are the next two guys on the chopping block for me. Westburg and Cowser replacing them.

Good point about Vavra. I bet O'Hearn is up as long as we face some RHP's but will go back down. Might be Ortiz coming back.

McCann has 5 games at DH out of 35. At least some of those have been when Hays and Santander were banged up. I don't know when they plan to bring up Westburg but that won't be the reason, IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I'm fairly certain that a player dasignated for assingment can be recalled earlier than 10 days if it's to replace an injured player on the 26-man roster going on the IL. So I do believe that Ortiz would have been eligible to replace Urias. Unless that rule was changed for this season.

Ortiz was not DFA'd.  He was optioned.  And yes he was eligible to be called up for Urias injury but Elias called up O'Hearn for Urias injury.  

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Rom’s call-up will be extremely short-lived no matter what he does.   I don’t even think he’ll pitch unless we need length in a lopsided game in the next couple of days.  I’ll be shocked if he’s not back in Norfolk by the weekend.  

Well don't be shocked.  He is up now and all it takes is an injury to a pitcher to keep him here.  Urias was here playing well and then bang.  Injury and he is gone for a while.

Edited by wildcard

Yeah, I think Rom it is just his day same as Hall in Detroit.    I am going to guess he has a little better cliche command and won't say "not ideal".     I don't begrudge Hall feeling that by now, its just the saying it to Roch Kubatko or equivalent.

Activate Moonlight Graham watch because there may be multiverses in which he goes down for Givens before the weekend and never makes it back.

I hope sometime this year Rom and Hall are both regularly among Hyde's 18 or so guys occupying 13 roster spots any given day.     Just watch out for Povich in the rear view.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Salvador Perez at age 32 started  120 games at catcher and 40 at DH  Not saying it's a good thing but has been done 

DH is like a day off to players.   As Rutschmann slumps you will hear silly stuff about him being run down, then he'll got hot again without getting any extra rest and the silly stuff will go quiet.

Just now, RZNJ said:

DH is like a day off to players.   As Rutschmann slumps you will hear silly stuff about him being run down, then he'll got hot again without getting any extra rest and the silly stuff will go quiet.

I of course haven't played but I don't think it is.

I think it's less stressful than catching but I don't think it's a day off.

Especially when you end up catching anyway.

• Upvote 2