Orioles bring up Rom, O'Hearn, and Vavra

Aglets

Who is our backup 3Bman to Gunnar?

• Vavra has played 4 innings at 3B in the majors and 28 total in his entire minor league career.
  • Mateo has played 27 innings in the majors at 3rd and never in the minors.
  • Frazier has played 26 innings in the majors at 3rd and 9 in the minors.
  • O'Hearn has never played 3rd as a pro.
  • Ryan Mountcastle has by far the most experience at the position (over 1000 innings in the minors) but hasn't played it in 4 years and I doubt he would be considered.

10 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

No real clue, but I'd guess they don't want Ortiz up if he doesn't play 4 out 5 days. 

O'Hearn and Vavra and just AAAA guys that can play sporadically and PH.

I'm happy that Rom is getting a shot.

I think we see at least 5 straight RH pitchers starting tonight (not 100% sure because Pirate rotation will have someone joining it due to injury to Vince Velazquez).   So that probably explains Vavra over Ortiz.   We may see Vavra in the outfield instead of Hays or if Santander is DHing for a game here or there.

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The Rom callup is interesting. Will he get a start? If he's a 1-2 inning guy in the bullpen, why not Vespi? 

This is what I was just thinking about after trying to wrap my head around Vavra coming back up.  Who would get bumped to the bullpen if they gave him a start? Kremer?

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Who is our backup 3Bman to Gunnar?

• Vavra has played 4 innings at 3B in the majors and 28 total in his entire minor league career.
  • Mateo has played 27 innings in the majors at 3rd and never in the minors.
  • Frazier has played 26 innings in the majors at 3rd and 9 in the minors.
  • O'Hearn has never played 3rd as a pro.
  • Ryan Mountcastle has by far the most experience at the position (over 1000 innings in the minors) but hasn't played it in 4 years and I doubt he would be considered.

You don't really need a long term backup to Gunnar on the roster right now. You would only need someone to finish the game if something happened to him and then call up Westburg after the game if you need a longer term option.

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think we see at least 5 straight RH pitchers starting tonight (not 100% sure because Pirate rotation will have someone joining it due to injury to Vince Velazquez).   So that probably explains Vavra over Ortiz.   We may see Vavra in the outfield instead of Hays or if Santander is DHing for a game here or there.

Vavra will be in the OF over Stowers and Santander to DH. Hays will keep playing. 

21 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Now, did that Torrens for O'hearn move make any sense? Why Vavra instead of Ortiz? Rom? Um, well, okay, I guess... I'm feeling very underwhelmed. We need offense and O'hearn nor Vavra gives us the potential for more offense. 

Rom obviously is there in case they need a long man.  Tonight would have been his night to pitch for Norfolk, so he’s fresh.  

Vavra vs. Ortiz probably means we’re facing a lot of RHP coming up.  Same with O’Hearn. Personally I’d rather see Ortiz than Vavra, but it’s not a big deal either way.  

Rom is insurance against a very short start from GRod.   He can go 4 or 5 innings if needed.    I don't understand Vavra over Oritz though.     Some team brings in a lefty reliever against Frazier or Henderson, it would seem to make sense.

• Upvote 1

I actually like Vavra, but I really don't understand the callups.  We're going to emphasize that we're rebuilding but then wait as long as possible to give our young stars a chance at the MLB level.  Westburg or Ortiz should be up here for Urias at this point, I don't really care which one at this point.