Monday, May 15: Grayson Rodriguez vs Shohei Ohtani

SteveA

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Here's the thing. The O's have the second best record in baseball, and I still think they haven't put their best roster together, nor have their players played their best baseball. 

Definitely. In my eyes, anything we do this year is gravy.

4 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

The O's have the second best record in baseball, our farm system has the longest-running streak in the top spot, the organization has universal approval across the league, and we get to see two of the greatest baseball players ever come into town tonight.

And people here are still histrionic and cynical. What is the point of following sports if you apparently enjoy absolutely nothing about it?

To be fair, Grayson was really bad tonight. IMO this is a place that people should be able to come to vent about that.

Now if he was throwing a shout-out against this team right now and people were still complaining, that would be a different story.

Just now, EddeeEddee said:

Yes, developed!  There is no draft for international players!  

Drafted and developed.

So both.

He wasn't drafted.

He does not meet the criteria set forth.

You could also say he wasn't developed since his game progressed after the trade.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

The O's have the second best record in baseball, our farm system has the longest-running streak in the top spot, the organization has universal approval across the league, and we get to see two of the greatest baseball players ever come into town tonight.

And people here are still histrionic and cynical. What is the point of following sports if you apparently enjoy absolutely nothing about it?

You realize your talking to the fan base of perhaps the worst team in the last 40 year in MLB?  A fan base 40 years removed from their last World Series?  A fan base that has to bring up Mussina or Bedard as the last good starter developed by the team?  We are like the dog that has been beat too much that spends half their lives just covering up.  Born in the USA......

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Because they’re kicking our asses?

Seems logical to me.

If all you care about in sports is the bottom line, you're going to end up disappointed the vast majority of the time. It's a zero-sum game, and there's only one winner at the end of the day. Plus in baseball, there are 162 opportunities to get your ass kicked.

Sometimes it's difficult to recognize that and find the silver lining, but it's not even remotely challenging right now. If you continue to gravitate toward relentless pessimism and broadcast it to everyone else, I question why you even do this entirely optional activity of watching sports.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

You realize your talking to the fan base of perhaps the worst team in the last 40 year in MLB?  A fan base 40 years removed from their last World Series?  A fan base that has to bring up Mussina or Bedard as the last good starter developed by the team?  We are like the dog that has been beat too much that spends half their lives just covering up.  Born in the USA......

Which is precisely why it's easy for me to appreciate how good we have it right now.

Just now, Alasdaire said:

If all you care about in sports is the bottom line, you're going to end up disappointed the vast majority of the time. It's a zero-sum game, and there's only one winner at the end of the day. Plus in baseball, there are 162 opportunities to get your ass kicked.

Sometimes it's difficult to recognize that and find the silver lining, but it's not even remotely challenging right now. If you continue to gravitate toward relentless pessimism and broadcast it to everyone else, I question why you even do this entirely optional activity of watching sports.

You probably should not come into the game thread. The game thread is an emotion roller coaster. I don't see how you are helping by questioning how people want to fan. 

Maybe you should fan how you want and you let others fan how they want? 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

To be fair, Grayson was really bad tonight. IMO this is a place that people should be able to come to vent about that.

Now if he was throwing a shout-out against this team right now and people were still complaining, that would be a different story.

Fair enough. I know I should just step away from game threads because the reactionary and emotional nature bothers me. OH is actually pretty good about it in fairness.