Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Would the Yankees give up Dominguez for Othani?

I haven't checked his stats this year.

I'd say they would.  He's not a bad prospect but he hasn't lived up to the hype.

I still think the Angels are going to want at least one top 100 starting pitcher coming back.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=doming002jas

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Imagine that :) 

Ohtani & Arrozarena on a playoff team would be much watch TV.  

Stupid Angelos’

I can’t even fathom what it would be like to read that tweet as a fan.  Exciting times for Tampa.  

Meh, that reads more to me like Bowden speculating for the retweets. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but getting “They’re targeting Ohtani!” out if “We have the resources to make some moves” is a reach.

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Meh, that reads more to me like Bowden speculating for the retweets. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but getting “They’re targeting Ohtani!” out if “We have the resources to make some moves” is a reach.

It seems like a pretty Raysian move to me.  I’ve thought all along they’d be a sleeper.  Hearing their owner has given the go ahead would be exciting to me if I were a Rays fan.  They have the dev system and prospect capital to not miss a beat.  They’ve been knocking at the door.  Ohtani could be the final piece.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

It seems like a pretty Raysian move to me.  I’ve thought all along they’d be a sleeper.  Hearing their owner has given the go ahead would be exciting to me if I were a Rays fan.  They have the dev system and prospect capital to not miss a beat.  They’ve been knocking at the door.  Ohtani could be the final piece.  

We have no idea what kind of go-ahead the owner has given. Just that they’re saying he’s supportive of making moves to try to improve the team. There hasn’t been a single actual rumor tying them to Shohei Ohtani.

48 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

We have no idea what kind of go-ahead the owner has given. Just that they’re saying he’s supportive of making moves to try to improve the team. There hasn’t been a single actual rumor tying them to Shohei Ohtani.

Fair enough.  It’s going to be a fun couple of weeks.  

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's fine.

I don't think anyone here actually thinks it's going to happen.

It's just chatter, chit-chat, chit-chat, chit-chat, conversation, contradiction, criticism.

It's only talk, cheap talk

Sure but it’s no more valuable than a what if we obtain Babe Ruth for the stretch run. It’s clearly not happening.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Winning a title, say for yourself as a two time cancer survivor or for your ill Father-in-Law is not the same thing as trying to build a sustainable model for winning in the hope that trips to the playoffs lead to an eventual title.

Houston is franchise that cares about turning a profit, that is one of their goals.

Cohen doesn't worry about turning a profit.  I don't think Seidler cares about turning a profit.  I don't think either are super worried about what the team looks like in five years.  (although the Mets really aren't in that bad of shape)

I think Cohen and Seidler want to sound large and pretend to be the smart guy in the room. Has nothing to do with wanting to actually win a title (or make a profit or what the team looks like in a few years)

13 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

The Dodgers have the talent to make it happen IMO. Cartaya (C), Busch (2B/OF), Rushing (C), Pages (C), Sheehan (RHP),  Pepiot (RHP), and Frasso (RHP) are all top 100 prospects. They also have guys like Vargas (1B/3B/2B) and Lux who are still young (prospectish) and have some shine, even though they haven't broken out yet at the MLB level.  

The Angels only have three prospects in the top 100, and two of them are catchers.  So I'd say something like Bush, Pepiot, and Frasso for Ohtani and Drury (salary dump) might be enough to get it done. And then the Dodgers can sign him to a long term deal as part of the trade. 

Yeah they seemed like the only team that might have the prospects and the willingness to eat salary.

I do question whether the Angels would trade two of the 10 best players in baseball to their hated cross town rival, regardless of the package offered. Can you imagine how embarrassing that would be?

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Would the Yankees give up Dominguez for Othani?

I am not sure Ohtani would want to go to a team sitting in last place and risk missing the playoffs yet again.

I love the fact that I can say that about the Yankees right now. :)

1 minute ago, bluedog said:

Yeah they seemed like the only team that might have the prospects and the willingness to eat salary.

I do question whether the Angels would trade two of the 10 best players in baseball to their hated cross town rival, regardless of the package offered. Can you imagine how embarrassing that would be?

Angels might end up relocating to Las Vegas before the A's get a chance if they trade Ohtani and Trout to the Dodgers.