Tuesday, May 16: Orioles vs Angels

SteveA

4 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Mountcastle as a RH platoon DH and bench bat has a role on a good major league team. I'm less enamored with him as the 3/4 hitter and starting everyday 1b

I like Mountcastle for his personality and love to see his monster shots, but I'm looking forward to Kjerstad being the O's 1B, maybe even in April 2024. 

1 hour ago, Emory Eagle said:

It’s really about time this team had a blow out win.  Have they had one all year?  Although, doesn’t seem like the lineup to do it. 

I don't know about blowout.   But we have had a grand total of TWO games all year where we have:

• Led by 4 runs or more going into the 7th
  • Stayed up by at least 4 runs for the rest of the game

April 4 (7-2 win at Texas) and April 22 (5-1 win vs Detroit).   Both were Gibson starts.

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

People that want to dump him because of his slumps or lack of walks are being a bit shortsighted.   He shouldn't be at cleanup, but he provides a good amount of production and lots of playoff teams would love to have a guy like that in the 6 or 7 spot.  And when he gets hot he can carry a team.   Yeah, it would be great to have ,400 onbase guys up and down the lineup, and maybe we will be able to pull that off.   But we don't have too many guys with 30 HR potential and he has done it once and may well do it again.

He's excellent trade bait because of all the talent in the minors, as is Santander.  But it's probably not the year to trade either player.

13 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Mountcastle as a RH platoon DH and bench bat has a role on a good major league team. I'm less enamored with him as the 3/4 hitter and starting everyday 1b

I think he needs to be traded to a team with a short left field porch like Fenway.  He would probably OPS about 50-70 points higher there and more than make up the difference in the park effects.  He's basically being double penalized for being a power spray hitter, and for being a right handed bat at Oriole Park.  (Power spray hitters tend to underperform their expected wOBA and Walltimore is killing every right handed bat on the team.)

Or maybe Elias and the O's have a plan to bring in that wall a few feet.  It's a little ridiculous at its current depth to be totally honest.

Edited by Hallas

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I don't know about blowout.   But we have had a grand total of TWO games all year where we have:

• Led by 4 runs or more going into the 7th
  • Stayed up by at least 4 runs for the rest of the game

April 4 (7-2 win at Texas) and April 22 (5-1 win vs Detroit).   Both were Gibson starts.

That’s a little concerning tbh.  Would like to see this team show some dominance, although I’m not going to complain about the record so far… just hope it’s not a mirage.

• Upvote 1