Ben Verlander: Os on cusp of dynasty…if they buy in

Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

As would we all, not gonna happen as that would be deficit spending and PA's law firm ain't helping float the boat no more. That's what is intriguing about SEA ticket prices being that low. They aren't known as bottom spenders so what is their other revenue stream??

Whatever the source of the cash flow, they led the majors in operating income last year

https://www.king5.com/article/sports/mlb/mariners/mariners-most-profitable-mlb-2022-forbes/281-22e9d606-563a-4f32-98a3-53786e043499

I am pretty far away from the Baltimore area and honestly know very little about the Angelos ownership except what I read on here. After looking up our payroll for this year, approximately 61 mill and second lowest to Oakland, and figuring in additional operating costs for a mlb team, is there a guess as to how much profit the ownership group makes on a payroll like we have. Is that information available to be guessed at roughly, or is it totally secret information?

40 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Sorry, but surely you realize that the "full prices" you pay in BAL, pale in comparison to those in LA, NY, BOS and probably SEA and ATL as well. The fallacy is expecting JA to manage the Orioles like a "professional organization" you expect them to be and spend the money he prefers keeping to himself, on your team to your expectations. That will not happen.

Where I live in Maryland is one of the highest cost of living areas in the country. No it is not Silicon Valley, Southern California, NY or Boston. But it is comparable with everywhere else including SEA and it is far beyond ATL.

So, I guess us fans who support the team should except mediocrity and be okay with crappy ownership? If that is the case, we are truly destined to become like the Rays. Good but not great consistently and no fans or relevancy in the community in which the team resides. 

24 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

It's just my opinion but after the Chris Davis disaster it's hard to hope for any big, long terms deals with anyone while this family owns the team.  I'll only believe it when I see it.  I'm guessing John Angelos' main objective is to sell the team -- but only after Peter passes away. 

If all you say is correct, I'm hoping the later happens sooner rather than later. At that point at least the team may be in capable hands that actually care.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Where I live in Maryland is one of the highest cost of living areas in the country. No it is not Silicon Valley, Southern California, NY or Boston. But it is comparable with everywhere else including SEA and it is far beyond ATL.

So, I guess us fans who support the team should except mediocrity and be okay with crappy ownership? If that is the case, we are truly destined to become like the Rays. Good but not great consistently and no fans or relevancy in the community in which the team resides. 

I wouldn't make it sound like we are settling be becoming like the Rays.  Things could end up a lot worse.

• Upvote 1

After reading you guys' comments, responses, and reactions to me in this thread; it paints a very gloomy picture (not anyone's fault just the reality of how bad this situation may be). No wonder so many people from this community have completely abdicated their interest in the Orioles.

For a person who loves the Orioles and has been a lifelong fan through all the ups and mostly downs and wants to see the team win at least 1 World Series in my lifetime (it's 40 years and counting), all I have is hope. If I lose that what else do I have?

I hope this time is different. I hope we will do what it takes to make every reasonable effort to get the best results that we can. I hope that there is a parade on Pratt street one day, where I can finally say "all of the suffering was worth the euphoria of this moment". I don't think I have another 40+ years to wait.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't make it sound like we are settling be becoming like the Rays.  Things could end up a lot worse.

That is true. But as a long suffering fan of this team who lives in this community, I honestly can't find any solace in hoping to always be never good enough.

I don't want to sound or come off as entitled because surely I have worked my butt off to have and enjoy the lifestyle that I have that even allows me to afford going to games at Camden Yards and even a few on the road, buying merch, etc. and supporting the team like I do.

But just once in my lifetime, I would like that feeling of knowing what it's like to be the king of the mountain. I have had it 2 times with the Ravens. And those memories of being in attendance of championship games and watching the team host the trophy are so sweet and I will always cherish them. I would really like that for the baseball team that I love in the worse way.

Can we add a crying emoji for some of these posts?   I want to see the Orioles win as much as anyone but let’s remember one thing.  It’s a goddamn baseball team!  It’s not life and death.   Some act like their life won’t be complete unless the Orioles win a WS.   Oh, the drama!

Just now, RZNJ said:

Can we add a crying emoji for some of these posts?   I want to see the Orioles win as much as anyone but let’s remember one thing.  It’s a goddamn baseball team!  It’s not life and death.   Some act like their life won’t be complete unless the Orioles win a WS.   Oh, the drama!

😭

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

After reading you guys' comments, responses, and reactions to me in this thread; it paints a very gloomy picture (not anyone's fault just the reality of how bad this situation may be). No wonder so many people from this community have completely abdicated their interest in the Orioles.

For a person who loves the Orioles and has been a lifelong fan through all the ups and mostly downs and wants to see the team win at least 1 World Series in my lifetime (it's 40 years and counting), all I have is hope. If I lose that what else do I have?

I hope this time is different. I hope we will do what it takes to make every reasonable effort to get the best results that we can. I hope that there is a parade on Pratt street one day, where I can finally say "all of the suffering was worth the euphoria of this moment". I don't think I have another 40+ years to wait.

So they last won it all within your lifetime -- the year you were born! 😁  Cheer up, the organization is much stronger than it has been in years.  In the short term improvements to the team can be done in the form of trades rather than long FA deals.  In the long term, last year the team hired Goldman Sachs to explore the possibility of a sale.  That may not happen for awhile but it's a good sign.  

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I believe that this is funny. But it’s also misplaced on me. Please don’t mistake my passion for a loss of perspective. 

I’m well aware of what really matters in my life and live accordingly.