Pick one former Oriole at any stage of their career to add to the current team to make us serious WS contenders

GuidoSarducci

This type of thread seems to pop up once a year or so, and in the past, I’ve usually said Frank Robinson, because in addition to being my favorite player, he objectively was the best player of the possible candidates.   But looking at this team and its needs, I think a strong argument can be made that a TOR ace like Palmer or Mussina would be the biggest difference maker.   I see those two as equals, who pitched under different circumstances in different eras.  

4 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

With our current OBP jump at the top of the order….replacing Mountcastle with 2013 Chris Davis would be insane. His line that year was:

.286   .370  .634 1.004

53 HR  138 RBI

Are we allowed.tpmgive him the Adderall.in the hypothetical?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Are we allowed.tpmgive him the Adderall.in the hypothetical?

As far as we know he had an exemption in 2013.  All we know for sure is that he had one, let it lapse, and by the fall of 2014 had failed two drug tests.  Both could have been in 2014.

19 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I would double down on a strength to make 7,8,9 complete shutdowns .. Give me Zack. 

That's a cool thought. With that bullpen it may be better to just skip the starter. 2 each from Britton, Cano, and Bautista covers six innings. Maybe Baumann for 2 and Baker for 1, you still have Coulombe if you need him. 

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Peak Mussina or Peak Bedard were the best starters I've seen pitch for us.

He wasn’t as good for the O’s, which is why he’s forgotten, but I’d take peak Jake Arrieta over both of them. In 2015, he had a record of 22-6 and a 1.77 ERA for the season, won the Cy Young, had the lowest second half ERA in MLB history, and threw a complete game shutout in the wild card game. Think about that kind of dominance coming from our top starter. 

42 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

This is my answer too. Peak Moose was an absolute beast. 

which puts him way behind Palmer, come on 20+ complete games and 10 shutouts in a single season?

8 consecutive 20 win seasons, he is the best O's pitcher of all time, obviously alot of folks didn't see him pitch live to appreciate how unhittable he was.

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

which puts him way behind Palmer, come on 20+ complete games and 10 shutouts in a single season?

8 consecutive 20 win seasons, he is the best O's pitcher of all time, obviously alot of folks didn't see him pitch live to appreciate how unhittable he was.

I just think Mussina's game would translate better to the modern era.