Coby Mayo - MLB.com Prospect #100

StillanOfan

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Over his last 20 games, the 21-year old Mayo is slashing .306/.414/.583/.997 with 6 2b, 1 3B, and 4 HR to go along with a 12-24 K-BB in 87 PAs. 

He's only had 2 PAs against a pitcher younger than him this year. 

Am I reading that right? walking twice as much as he's striking out? 

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But these lists don't mean anything right?

So how can it be a joke?

I think ALL 100 should be nothing but Oriole prospects, no other team can possibly have anyone that might be good.

They mean nothing in the sense that just because you aren’t on it, doesn’t mean you aren’t talented.

The mean nothing in the sense that Mayo is a top 40 guy by some and barely on this list and not on it prior to now.

The consensus doesn’t exist with many of them and the difference between 50 and 125 isn’t much.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But these lists don't mean anything right?

So how can it be a joke?

I think ALL 100 should be nothing but Oriole prospects, no other team can possibly have anyone that might be good.

Apparently, SG has his own private top 100 list which is the only one that means anything.

I have no clue how anyone else can judge other teams players.  I barely have enough time in the day to try to figure out the Oriole prospects.  Before Milb I couldnt even see Oriole prospects.  These guys are just named on a list to me.  

50 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I have no clue how anyone else can judge other teams players.  I barely have enough time in the day to try to figure out the Oriole prospects.  Before Milb I couldnt even see Oriole prospects.  These guys are just named on a list to me.  

And that’s kind of the point.

And then you get guys who are ranked (high or otherwise) because of draft status or how people felt about them going into the draft.

There are just so many factors and not all of them are performance/age based.

Everyone usually agrees on the top 20 or so guys but it gets hazy after that.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

I cannot wrap my head around DL Hall still being considered a "top prospect."  Either these "scout" aren't really scouts, or the pool of minor league talent is so lacking there aren't 100 players better than him. Besides being a first-round pick (6 years ago), does anything about his make up say top prospect any longer?

7 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

I cannot wrap my head around DL Hall still being considered a "top prospect."  Either these "scout" aren't really scouts, or the pool of minor league talent is so lacking there aren't 100 players better than him. Besides being a first-round pick (6 years ago), does anything about his make up say top prospect any longer?

Assuming the velocity dip this season isn't a long term thing he still has great raw stuff if a team is actually capable of developing it. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

He's a leftie who throws high-90s with several secondary offerings. That's one of the rarest skillsets in baseball.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:30 PM, Sports Guy said:

And that’s kind of the point.

And then you get guys who are ranked (high or otherwise) because of draft status or how people felt about them going into the draft.

There are just so many factors and not all of them are performance/age based.

Everyone usually agrees on the top 20 or so guys but it gets hazy after that.

Not naming any names, but if you look through various top 100 lists, you see guys really struggling. I guess we're still in SSS territory, but reputation definitely carries the day in these rankings. 

That doesn't mean I'm sold on Mayo. I'm not, but on age and actual production, he belongs as much as several guys above him.