Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At worst it’s a short term depth move until Cowser or Mullins are back. No sense rushing Cowser up off an injury. That’s not how you want guys making their debuts. 

Also, we’re pretty thin on CF depth with Mullins, Cowser, and Haskin, all currently hurt. This keeps are depth too with Cameron. No point in calling him up for a week just to DFA him. He’s only 26. Maybe there is something there. 

I will say this… sometimes a guy just needs a fresh start. This could be a low key pressure spot for Hicks to come in and prove he’s still got it. These guys have pride. He just doesn’t want to walk away at 36 and count his millions. 

Even the 2014 team had Michael Bourn. Heck, he started a playoff game. 

You may be right about Daz re the DFA thing.  But I don't think HIcks counts as CF depth at this point in his career....at least he shouldn't. I suppose they could put Hays in CF and Hicks in LF on the road, but if they do that at Camden Yards they are asking for trouble.

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Sure, and I'm guessing that's a tongue-in-cheek comment, but what is depth in the minors for, if its not to replace injured players?  What's the point?  I refuse to believe that Elias just wants to have a AAA team with a really good record but the evidence kind of supports that theory LOL.

Westburg in AAA has nothing to do with this move. We needed a CF. Hicks is a CF. 

Does everyone remember DD?  Heck, dumpster diving Dan. Haha. But people loved his deep depth. Now we’re all prospects or bust. Ok… I’d take a Danny Valencia, Delmon Young, Steve Pearce type on this team. 

He makes a move for Torrens and it was all “What about Maverick Handley?”  C’mon. It’s 162 and we’re winning. These low pressure vet moves pay off sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Sure, and I'm guessing that's a tongue-in-cheek comment, but what is depth in the minors for, if its not to replace injured players?  What's the point?  I refuse to believe that Elias just wants to have a AAA team with a really good record but the evidence kind of supports that theory LOL.

He doesn't want to bring him up and then risk losing him.  He can bring Hicks in for nothing and still have him.  If Hicks wasn't out there he would have been the choice.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He doesn't want to bring him up and then risk losing him.  He can bring Hicks in for nothing and still have him.  If Hicks wasn't out there he would have been the choice.

Yeah I guess.  Hopefully it means they expect Ced's injury to be shorter term.

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think I'm mostly just annoyed that I have to watch Aaron Hicks, not long after I took great joy in the fact that the Yankees didn't have anyone better than Aaron Hicks to put into their own lineup.  LOL.

Well he’ll be wearing black and orange. He’s also been on some good teams in Minnesota and New York. Everyone wants David Justice from moneyball but then people criticize this move. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Who do you want to play? 
They aren’t going to guarantee a ton of at bats. He is fill in. 

I'd call up Cameron, options be damned. Failing that, just play McKenna or Vavra, stick Frazier in RF, call up Ortiz to play 2B. No need for Hicks as a short-term fill in.

• Upvote 1

Westburg in AAA has nothing to do with this move. We needed a CF. Hicks is a CF. 

Does everyone remember DD?  Heck, dumpster diving Dan. Haha. But people loved his deep depth. Now we’re all prospects or bust. Ok… I’d take a Danny Valencia, Delmon Young, Steve Pearce type on this team. 

He makes a move for Torrens and it was all “What about Maverick Handley?”  C’mon. It’s 162 and we’re winning. These low pressure vet moves pay off sometimes. 

The difference is that DD had no prospects to bring up!  Sure Hicks could be the next Nate McLouth I suppose.  But there's a pretty long track record for Hicks of being awful.

Hopefully I'm laughing at myself when we DFA Hicks in a few days, but I'm dubious to that happening. 

What are the odds he's in the lineup tonight when its posted?

Well he’ll be wearing black and orange. He’s also been on some good teams in Minnesota and New York. Everyone wants David Justice from moneyball but then people criticize this move. 

Thanks, I'm aware of our team colors.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Man, I'm not trying to be a jerk but a month ago you were having a crap baby about trading Jorge Lopez last year. 

There's no upside to this move really. Either way, it likely means McKenna will be heading to AAA if Mullins comes back in a timely manner. Very rarely do the Orioles pay a player to go home.

8 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

That's an easy response. I don't think anyone that's "outraged" cares about the money. It's more about a team either trying to take the necessary steps to make the playoffs, or one that's just making poor decisions because they don't want to start a player's clock...or whatever reason for not using some of the prospects that they have accumulated.

You have two injured players in Stowers and Cowser. A mainstay is now hurt. 

You can’t sign a great player in May. In 2012 McLouth helped out. They aren’t going to play him everyday and watch him play poorly.