Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

1 minute ago, Mr-splash said:

Well we have won a lot of games this year. Have a low cost controlled payroll. Have a stocked farm system. And feature some good players until team control for multiple years. He is trying to avoid a situation like Joey Ortiz and Stowers where you bring up a guy already in his mid 20s and the rest of the league finds out he can't MLB pitching. Trying to preserve trade value for these guys. Westburg and guys like that have more value as a trade chip if they don't bomb out at the next level. 

Huh? What in Ortiz's 28 PA has led you to believe that he can't hit MLB pitching? Or Stowers' 33 PA this year, for that matter?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, deward said:

Huh? What in Ortiz's 28 PA has led you to believe that he can't hit MLB pitching? Or Stowers' 33 PA this year, for that matter?

They failed to capitalize on their opportunity. If they had produced they would be on the roster still. Demotions were earned. 

2 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

They failed to capitalize on their opportunity. If they had produced they would be on the roster still. Demotions were earned. 

A) That's not the same thing as having shown they can't hit MLB pitching, which is what you said.

B) While Stowers failed to capitalize on the (extremely limited) opportunity that he was given, what did Ortiz do wrong? He looked ok, and Elias had no intention of him staying up once Urias came back. 

C) Are you under the impression that other teams don't have scouts?

1 minute ago, Winter said:

Odds Hicks hits a couple homers and dominates an entire game then solidifies himself into the lineup daily to bat about .098/.118 

I'd say the chances are good. 

I think it is more likely that he's here until Mullins comes back instead of when Cowser is healthy.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

The deal is prorated portion of MLB minimum…. 

It’s a cheap tryout. The outrage amuses me. 

It's another example of Elias prioritizing giving a "tryout" to someone from outside the org instead the guys already here. Hicks is 33 and hasn't looked useful since 2020. Why would you not understand the frustration?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The deal is prorated portion of MLB minimum…. 

It’s a cheap tryout. The outrage amuses me. 

That's an easy response. I don't think anyone that's "outraged" cares about the money. It's more about a team either trying to take the necessary steps to make the playoffs, or one that's just making poor decisions because they don't want to start a player's clock...or whatever reason for not using some of the prospects that they have accumulated.

• Upvote 2

We can't even unleash Hicks at the Skanks like they catapulted Cordero at us in April.  We don't see them again until early July just before the break, and unless he absolutely catches fire, I don't really foresee him being on the team any longer by then.

I am loathe to criticize roster moves but this one has even me scratching my head.  How is it possible that this guy is better than even Daz Cameron?  Cameron is 26 years old - at least there's a small chance he has something to contribute.  Hicks is a washed up loser.  I'm not even sure I can watch a game w/ this clown in the lineup.  Just terrible.

• Upvote 1