Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

5 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

This a move a 100 loss Orioles team makes, not a move a team trying to make the playoffs makes

Not that I’m thrilled with signing Hicks but what move should a contending Orioles team make to replace a starter who will hopefully only be out for 3 weeks or so?

5 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

Not that I’m thrilled with signing Hicks but what move should a contending Orioles team make to replace a starter who will hopefully only be out for 3 weeks or so?

Has Elias or Hyde said this is a three week injury for Mullins?  There’s potential it could be a couple months depending on severity of the groin strain. I don’t want Hicks on the team that long if Mullins is out for an extended stretch. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

39 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think worse, because it opens up the possibility that he’s here even after Ced returns. 

This exactly, that Hicks was even being considered at all before the injury says ME is still building the base, raising the floor, creating the depth. Why have Camerom and Diaz in Norfolk if you are afraid to promote them when they are going well? Haven't we been auditioning folks at 1B while an above average guy with MLB experience, is hitting in Norfolk? Why couldn't Diaz get O'Hearn-Santander 1B ABs? Now ME repeats the process with Cameron-Hicks.

Edited by AnythingO's
correction

If you deliberately collect ex-MLB guys like O'Hearn, Lester, Diaz, Cameron, "rehabilitate" them so they are being productive at AAA, then why, when a need arises, don't you use your in-house option? Instead, you go out and collect another ex-MLB guy to further block your prospects and your already rehabilitated guys. If the answer is hire Hicks, then you are asking the wrong question. I fear the extent of this Mullins injury is unknown but far worse than they are letting on.

11 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

If you deliberately collect ex-MLB guys like O'Hearn, Lester, Diaz, Cameron, "rehabilitate" them so they are being productive at AAA, then why, when a need arises, don't you use your in-house option? Instead, you go out and collect another ex-MLB guy to further block your prospects and your already rehabilitated guys. If the answer is hire Hicks, then you are asking the wrong question. I fear the extent of this Mullins injury is unknown but far worse than they are letting on.

You are claiming that Hicks is blocking a prospect?

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You are claiming that Hicks is blocking a prospect?

Not really, but if Hicks sticks around after either Stowers or Cowser are ready, yeah maybe. Bigger question is why collect those ex-MLB guys at AAA if you are afraid to use them when a need arises? Is ME treating them like they have some future trade value, or does he really care about AAA record, or what? I truly have no idea but he went thru some serious gyrations the previous off season hording catchers and then gave almost 200 ABs to Chirinos and then gets McCann. He brings up Stowers last year, who was doing well, but then plays Vavra in RF over Stowers. He brings in guys like Aguilar and Phillips and gives them ABs at DH that could go to prospects. I don't see the process or end game in these moves, lots of movement but what is gained if you have Cameron but decide to get Hicks? What is gained when you have Diaz and try Santader at 1B, a position he had never played?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias can’t wait to tell everyone how great his farm system is and yet he doesn’t want to show it off.

Why?

Why pull something new out of the wrapper when you can have a week old half-eaten cheeseburger?

I'm really starting to think I was right in my assessment last year.

He's had a little success with reclamation projects.. and now he's convinced he can turn straw into gold every time.

When he's already got money in his pocket.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can't have the #1 farm system in the game if you promote everyone.  😉

I get what you mean but why Hicks instead of Cameron who is playing well at Norfolk? Is his future value more than a 5th OF? If "Getting a chance to play" is a plausible selling point, don't you have to show current examples when the need arises?

40 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Not really, but if Hicks sticks around after either Stowers or Cowser are ready, yeah maybe. Bigger question is why collect those ex-MLB guys at AAA if you are afraid to use them when a need arises? Is ME treating them like they have some future trade value, or does he really care about AAA record, or what? I truly have no idea but he went thru some serious gyrations the previous off season hording catchers and then gave almost 200 ABs to Chirinos and then gets McCann. He brings up Stowers last year, who was doing well, but then plays Vavra in RF over Stowers. He brings in guys like Aguilar and Phillips and gives them ABs at DH that could go to prospects. I don't see the process or end game in these moves, lots of movement but what is gained if you have Cameron but decide to get Hicks? What is gained when you have Diaz and try Santader at 1B, a position he had never played?

He adds depth. That’s his job. He has 40 man roster concerns. 

They would rather give Hicks a look over Cameron. Not a big deal, plus it lets you keep your depth in Cameron. 

You have 40 roster spots, not 45.