Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He adds depth. That’s his job. He has 40 man roster concerns. 

They would rather give Hicks a look over Cameron. Not a big deal, plus it lets you keep your depth in Cameron. 

You have 40 roster spots, not 45. 

We should stop calling bodies depth.

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He adds depth. That’s his job. He has 40 man roster concerns. 

They would rather give Hicks a look over Cameron. Not a big deal, plus it lets you keep your depth in Cameron. 

You have 40 roster spots, not 45. 

What is the point of depth if you don't use it?

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Someone start the Adam Frazier Appreciation Thread for being the board’s whipping boy for about 7 months. 

Move over, Frazier! Aaron Hicks is here on the league minimum!

League Minimum OPS?

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

You know it! 

If this team botches this season it’ll be because of Frazier and Hicks. 

And McCann... And the Mr. Hyde version of Mateo.... and arguably even Mountcastle.

You can float a weak offensive player... but not half the lineup

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They would rather give Hicks a look over Cameron. Not a big deal, plus it lets you keep your depth in Cameron. You have 40 roster spots, not 45. 

Ok, I am not arguing your point, of course he needs depth, but to what end? Is Cameron a potential 4th or 5th OF for the O's but ME doesn't want to take the chance on losing him right now? ME said they were talking to Hicks before the Mullins injury, why? Is endless accumulation of AAAA players the end goal? He already had 4 getting significant ABs at Norfolk, one is 29, another is 28 (O'Hearn, Lester). That is almost 1/3 of the 13 position players. But Cameron and Diaz are only 26 so maybe ME sees more upside? O'Hearn as a PH  works as he is fungible and 3B (Lester) is already covered. Those two I get, but giving ABs at 1B to Santander and others vs promoting Diaz makes no sense. Diaz is a plus fielder and you are grooming Kjerstad at AA for 1B. He has done everything with the bat you could ask starting with AFL thru ST, thru AA. Bringing in Hicks on a MLB contract vs promoting Cameron, makes no sense. Worst case Cameron fails and will pass thru DFA or you let him go. ME did that with Phillips last year. Does ME need to constantly try to find diamonds in the rough? How long before the real prospects get their chances, like Cowser, Ortiz, Westburg, not the marginal rookies like Vavra, Stowers? Kjerstad, Mayo, Prieto, Fabian, Wagner, Beavers are going to need a spot to move to before the year is out. Hording only works so long.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You know it! If this team botches this season it’ll be because of Frazier and Hicks. 

Yeah, you need to include O'Hearn (1B) vs Diaz (ME), McCann playing out of position (Hyde), making every reliever a 1-inning guy (Hyde), playing Vavra & Frazier in RF over Stowers (Hyde), you get the point. We have highly-ranked prospects banging on the door (Westburg) with no place to play because of ME & Hyde. We go out and give a MLB contract to frickin Hicks vs using Cameron. Ortiz can't stay up because of Vavra??? really???