Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

2017 was the last time Hicks was a plus defensive CFer. He was average last year but -5 OOA in 2021 and -1 this year in limited play. He hasn't hit righthanders well since 2021 in limited action and 2020.

I hope this is for a very short look than Cowser comes up. I also hope this doesn't mean Mullins is out a long time.

This isn't my preferred solution but I think this will only last two or three weeks. There will be a lot of consternation and then soonish it'll be back closer to the way we wish it was, kinda like the two 3-catcher phases. 

It's probably a better defense, weaker offense, compared to the Vavra/Frazier/Mateo in the outfield plans. 

3 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Who do you want them to promote?

I hate this move. It's smells like the Phillips/Aguilar moves at the end of last year.

I say let Mateo play some CF while Ced is out.

I'm not defending the Hicks move at all, but why would anyone want to see Mateo anywhere but SS if he plays at all? His last 30 games OPS is a whopping .468. Not really a guy you make a position up for.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Aaron "Frickin" HIcks. The lengths this team will go to, to not promote some of their younger players is absolutely mind boggling to me. 

For the prospects that are potential trade chips (Westburg, Norby, etc.), he is afraid of exposing them to top level talent. 

I don't see what Hicks brings that Daz Cameron couldn't also do. I'm going to hope that this is merely a placeholder until Cowser comes off the IL and get a couple of games in at Norfolk to get back up to speed. Elias has shown a perplexing affinity so far for bringing in washed up veterans to cover scenarios where there wouldn't appear to be any downside to bringing up someone from AAA.

Just now, oriolediehard said:

We can hope he is better in a new environment. We can hope he had difficult in New York.  He used to kill us in the clutch.

I wouldn't advise hoping for much, Hicks hasn't been good for a while.

• Upvote 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)
4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Who do you want them to promote?

I hate this move. It's smells like the Phillips/Aguilar moves at the end of last year.

I say let Mateo play some CF while Ced is out.

Trying Mateo in CF to free up a spot for someone like Westburg might work. Just do something and find a way to get some of those young bats on the team/in the lineup. And if they don't feel like they have a better internal option/plan then they need to make a trade. You can't market yourself as a playoff team contender and continue to make dumpster diving moves like this one which have a 1% chance of working out. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, deward said:

I don't see what Hicks brings that Daz Cameron couldn't also do. I'm going to hope that this is merely a placeholder until Cowser comes off the IL and get a couple of games in at Norfolk to get back up to speed. Elias has shown a perplexing affinity so far for bringing in washed up veterans to cover scenarios where there wouldn't appear to be any downside to bringing up someone from AAA.

Daz Cameron doesn't have options so he would have to be DFA'd to be sent back down. So I could see how Hicks makes more sense for 5 days or so if the plan is to go with Cowser in the medium term. 

• Upvote 2