Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

Justifiable short-term deal with tremendous potential to be tedious as all hell long-term.  It's clear that Elias and Co. will not be budged from their minor league strategy regardless of circumstances. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

2017 was the last time Hicks was a plus defensive CFer. He was average last year but -5 OOA in 2021 and -1 this year in limited play. He hasn't hit righthanders well since 2021 in limited action and 2020.

I hope this is for a very short look than Cowser comes up. I also hope this doesn't mean Mullins is out a long time.

I think you nailed it.   He is probably here until Cowser is ready in about 5 days.   It must to a non guaranteed  deal.  I don't think Elias would sign up to pay him for the rest of the season..

7 minutes ago, yark14 said:

For the prospects that are potential trade chips (Westburg, Norby, etc.), he is afraid of exposing them to top level talent. 

That makes no sense. These are the players HE drafted. If he doesn't believe in them then maybe he shouldn't have drafted them in the first place!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Hicks is washed up, but I have no idea whether Daz Cameron would be any better. Ideally, this is a stop-gap until Cowser is healthy, and hopefully McKenna gets most of the starts in center.

If this is until Cowser is ready in a few days they can just DFA Hicks and lose him. If they promoted Cameron he would have had to be DFA'd and they probably want to keep him in the organization.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it makes sense because I don't think other teams are that stupid.

yeah it's acting like other teams don't have scouts, computers and years of research lmao such a dumb theory. 

8 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Justifiable short-term deal with tremendous potential to be tedious as all hell long-term.  It's clear that Elias and Co. will not be budged from their minor league strategy regardless of circumstances. 

Well we have won a lot of games this year. Have a low cost controlled payroll. Have a stocked farm system. And feature some good players until team control for multiple years. He is trying to avoid a situation like Joey Ortiz and Stowers where you bring up a guy already in his mid 20s and the rest of the league finds out he can't hit MLB pitching. Trying to preserve trade value for these guys. Westburg and guys like that have more value as a trade chip if they don't bomb out at the next level. 

Edited by Mr-splash
  • Confused 3

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Daz Cameron doesn't have options so he would have to be DFA'd to be sent back down. So I could see how Hicks makes more sense for 5 days or so if the plan is to go with Cowser in the medium term. 

Wouldn't that issue be in play in any situation where you might want to use Cameron? In a scenario where you're only trying to cover a few days, why not go with McKenna, with Vavra and Mateo as your emergency backups in case of injury? Call up Ortiz, stick Frazier in RF and McKenna in CF until Cowser is ready.