What is your realistic goal for the O's this year?

Baltimorecuse

7 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

When I heard it was his back, I cringed.  The O's have been awful quiet about what's going on there.

Same. I'm not a pro athlete, and I'm not trying to compare...well, maybe a little bit. I was in an accident 20+ years ago and my lower back still gives me some issues once in awhile. Usually it's doing the most mundane acts. Hopefully for Gunnar it's something minor and he'll be back soon.

38 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Win as many games as possible without trading any of Holliday, Gunnar, Grayson, Cowser, Kjerstad, or Adley. Mullins, Wells, Bautista, Cano, and Westberg are also borderline untouchable.

I don't like to participate in the make believe lineups and trade ideas on here because I don't know nearly enough to pretend. I'd like to see them win as many games as possible with the best players that they have at their disposal. And right now, I don't feel like they have their best at the ML level.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d say Frazier is much more reliable.  That’s different from saying he’s better, or has more potential.  But I have a better feel for what Frazier will do on a day to day basis. In a key situation, I’m very confident Frazier will give me a good at bat, and hit the ball somewhere.  I’m far less confident in Henderson in those situations right now.  And Frazier will hang in there against a LHP, whereas Henderson is extremely vulnerable there.  

Frazier may be more reliable against LH, but Gunnar consistently has good ABs. You can’t have a .127 difference between your BA and OBP if you’re not having consistently good ABs. The more reliable person to me is the one who’s the better hitter. Despite all his struggles, and all the puzzling praise for Frazier, Gunnar has still been the better hitter this year. 

I think winning the East is a realistic goal. I don’t know that we have the SP to win the playoffs, but anything can happen once you’re there. I have to believe that replacing Mateo, Frazier, Mountcastle, and the myriad of guys we play in RF with Holliday, Westburg, Kjerstad, and Cowser makes us a better team in 24/25. Plus I think we’ll get considerably more from GrayRod and Means next year. So no, I wouldn’t mortgage the future to go all in this year.

The Orioles havent won a Championship in 40 years. I am 34 so Ive never seen it happen and Ive watched thousands of Os games either in person or at home. I would kill for a World Championship that I could see. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'd rather have a decade or so of perennial contender than I would a win the WS and suck for nine years.

I'm in that same boat. 

Before even accounting for the fact that perennial contender is more often than not a prerequisite for a championship. The vast majority of World Series champions are somewhere in a ~5+ year run of success with a similar core achieving multiple playoff appearances. Even if there are some down, non-playoff seasons mixed in with that same core.

32 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

As a fan, I care about being a perennial contender quite a bit. 

So do I.  Windows of opportunity become self-fulfilling prophecies.  If you're going through a total rebuild more than three or four times every 100 years, you're doing it wrong IMO.

I expect 85-88 wins this year and for Elias to trade for another starting pitcher - hopefully a good one with a few years of control left and not deplete the farm system much more after that.  That should be enough for a 2023 WC spot which I'll happily take while expecting better in 2024.

When I first moved to this area Camden Yards was still fairly new and the people I worked with couldn't wait to go to the games.  First thing I'd like to see is a team that is good enough to generate that sort of excitement.  I think if we played more of the young guys, it would help to generate more interest and excitement.  

Before the season I thought it was realistic for the Orioles to play .500 baseball.  Today I think it is realistic for the Orioles to make the playoffs.  If the right players are available at the deadline I see no reason why it couldn't be realistic to win a playoff series this year if a couple moves are made to improve the team at the deadline.

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Before the season I thought it was realistic for the Orioles to play .500 baseball.  Today I think it is realistic for the Orioles to make the playoffs.  If the right players are available at the deadline I see no reason why it couldn't be realistic to win a playoff series this year if a couple moves are made to improve the team at the deadline.

That tracks.

Right now the O's are 37-23.  If they go .500 for the rest of the season they are at 88 wins.  That's a Wildcard contender.