And so itbegins

Ginger

35 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I would also like to get Mary Ann's thoughts on the Orioles. Is the reception good on the island? Seem it would be out of MASN's coverage area 

I think the real opportunity is to see if we can get the Howell's to make an offer for the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hyperbole much?

Adley Rutschman has a 135 OPS+ this season and is going to be an all star. Wieters career best OPS+ over a full season was 110.

It is hyperbole but Adley has been disappointing so far. The defense isn’t as good, the arm has been terrible and he is showing little to no power.

Dont get me wrong, he has been very good but we need more from him. It’s just the way it is with how the team is built.

I actually would like to see him moved to the cleanup spot. I think he may be trying to get on base to the point where he’s sacrificing power.

I mentioned it the other day but players have talked about how they have different mindsets depending on where they bat in the lineup. Maybe Adley wouldn’t but I would try.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It is hyperbole but Adley has been disappointing so far. The defense isn’t as good, the arm has been terrible and he is showing little to no power.

Dont get me wrong, he has been very good but we need more from him. It’s just the way it is with how the team is built.

I actually would like to see him moved to the cleanup spot. I think he may be trying to get on base to the point where he’s sacrificing power.

I mentioned it the other day but players have talked about how they have different mindsets depending on where they bat in the lineup. Maybe Adley wouldn’t but I would try.

Mauer with a little power?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Adley's pop times have been excellent, per Statcast. The accuracy is where he needs to improve, which has been a surprising issue.

37 minutes ago, deward said:

Adley's pop times have been excellent, per Statcast. The accuracy is where he needs to improve, which has been a surprising issue.

I also think I could steal a base when Cano and Bautista are pitching and I'm pushing 60.  Honestly that is going to be a problem because I think late in games if they get a runner on in a close game they are going to be able to advance runners by stealing.  I honestly don't see what Adley can do about that.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yeah, tbf, Adley's lack of power has me worried. I'm traumatized from Wieters but still, I can't help but be nervous (extremely low exit velocities is worrying...) that he's not going to be quite what we thought he would be. 

2 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Yeah, tbf, Adley's lack of power has me worried. I'm traumatized from Wieters but still, I can't help but be nervous (extremely low exit velocities is worrying...) that he's not going to be quite what we thought he would be. 

I'm more worried that the team is going to run him into the ground. There's a reason most catchers don't put up big offensive numbers. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, deward said:

I'm more worried that the team is going to run him into the ground. There's a reason most catchers don't put up big offensive numbers. 

Yes, but they may be related. Let the guy rest a little more and maybe we'll see the EV's and long ball surge. McCann is a capable back-up whose hitting may improve and we can DH Hicks / Mountcastle / O'Hearn / Santander, esp. once Mullins returns (needless to say, Cedrick's return is vital to the lineup).

Edited by LA2

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I agree. I have been saying this all year. People act like DH’ing is a day off. It’s not. 

I agree, but it is also true that Catching and DH'ing are not the same thing either.  Adley is on a reasonable pace for games caught.  The question is whether we are getting maximum value by DHing him this often.  It's a tough call, but as most people know, his prime value is realized by catching.  

Either way, I think he has not started 3 games and came in to play in 2 of them.  That is asking a lot.

23 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I agree, but it is also true that Catching and DH'ing are not the same thing either.  Adley is on a reasonable pace for games caught.  The question is whether we are getting maximum value by DHing him this often.  It's a tough call, but as most people know, his prime value is realized by catching.  

Either way, I think he has not started 3 games and came in to play in 2 of them.  That is asking a lot.

Yea it’s obviously not the same but he is on an absurd pace.

115-120 games at C and another 25-30 at DH, maxing out at around 145 games. That’s fine.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea it’s obviously not the same but he is on an absurd pace.

115-120 games at C and another 25-30 at DH, maxing out at around 145 games. That’s fine.

It's not ideal, but absurd is misleading.

The Orioles have played 61 games.  Adley has started 48 of them behind the plate and an additional 10 as DH.  In the 3 games Adley did not start, he came in to hit/catch or both in 2 of them.  Meaning Adley has only DNP in one Oriole game.

48/61 is a 78.6 % pace.  High if you consider 120 the limit.  120/162 is 74 % pace.

But on top of that Adley had DH'd 10 times and come off the bench twice which brings him to 60/61 games played.

I get what the Orioles are trying to do, and I won't go so far as to say that I think that rate is Absurd, but I do agree that it is unsustainable.

(Adley's stats can be viewed on BBref)

6 minutes ago, foxfield said:

It's not ideal, but absurd is misleading.

The Orioles have played 61 games.  Adley has started 48 of them behind the plate and an additional 10 as DH.  In the 3 games Adley did not start, he came in to hit/catch or both in 2 of them.  Meaning Adley has only DNP in one Oriole game.

48/61 is a 78.6 % pace.  High if you consider 120 the limit.  120/162 is 74 % pace.

But on top of that Adley had DH'd 10 times and come off the bench twice which brings him to 60/61 games played.

I get what the Orioles are trying to do, and I won't go so far as to say that I think that rate is Absurd, but I do agree that it is unsustainable.

(Adley's stats can be viewed on BBref)

That is 95% of the games in which he has started. That’s 154 games. That’s absurd.

Edited by Sports Guy