Cole Irvin

wildcard

Just now, LA2 said:

This is a very plausible thesis. If you look at Irvin's Home/Away splits, they were huge during 2022 and less so, but still significant in 2021: .874 / .581 OPS-against in '22; .777 / .714 in '21.

Maybe the FO thought Walltimore and exceptionally good IF defense--something that we haven't lived up to this year so far, although I don't know the stats--might make up for the deep and open plains of Oakland. 

I think they accepted the splits since it was the main reason the price in prospects was as low as it was.

14 minutes ago, LA2 said:

This is a very plausible thesis. If you look at Irvin's Home/Away splits, they were huge during 2022 and less so, but still significant in 2021: .874 / .581 OPS-against in '22; .777 / .714 in '21.

Maybe the FO thought Walltimore (he's a southpaw) and exceptionally IF defense--something that we haven't lived up to this year so far, although I don't know the stats--might make up for the deep, wide plains of Oakland. 

TheWall should definitely be helping Irvin. Thats probably a reason why they traded for him. He could do well in Baltimore. 

42 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Maybe the FO thought Walltimore (he's a southpaw) and exceptionally good IF defense--something that we haven't lived up to this year so far, although I don't know the stats--might make up for the deep, wide plains of Oakland. 

Here’s the thing.  Anybody who watched Irvin pitch earlier this year understands that he didn’t have his usual command.  His stuff is a bit underwhelming, but he navigates by locating well and avoiding free passes.  For the A’s last year, he walked 1.8 batters per 9; in his three starts for us, he walked 5.7 per 9.   That’s not a function of the ballpark, that’s a function of not putting the ball where he wanted it.  And that was true not just for the batters he walked, but generally.   

At Norfolk, he got back into his normal groove, walking only 4 batters in 42 innings.  So, I am expecting to see the “real” Irvin now.   That doesn’t mean he’ll be great, or won’t get knocked around a bit.  But I’m expecting to see the guy who throws strikes, gets ahead in counts, works fast and locates pitches well.  As @wildcardpointed out, the schedule gives him a few weak-hitting teams to face, so hopefully he can have some success.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I'm asking this without any intention of trolling. This is the best the organization can produce.  

As of now, this is the best option amongst options. Hall is not ready to start and should be converted to relief in my opinion, and Rodriguez pitched last night and while his numbers have been decent, he's still struggling to throw quality strikes in AAA. Denoyer has regressed, Povich is going through a tough period and can show flashes his brilliance along with the inability to throw enough quality strikes (sound familiar?), and McDermott is still AA (needs to be promoted but also struggles to throw consistent quality strikes at times. 

I think we're also seeing the downside of drafting almost exclusively hitters in the first ten rounds. Not a lot of teams want to trade upper level pitching prospects who look good for hitting prospects.

So yes, right now, Irvin, who was acquired for Darrell Hernaiz, is probably the best option as the #5 starter. If he can get back to where he was last year with Oakland, he should be fine in that role.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not like they had two highly regarded former first round pitchers in the system when they arrived and have been picking high in the draft every year since.

You should temper your expectations.

Exactly how many high round pitchers has Elias drafted and signed?  I'm sure it's a lot.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Exactly how many high round pitchers has Elias drafted and signed?  I'm sure it's a lot.

I'm sure you can come up with your definition of "high round" and figure this out for yourself. 

Heck you can decide to include the pitchers the Astros drafted when he was working for them if you like.

My definition of high round would be...top 3 rounds maybe?

In which case:

2019-0 (8th round)

2020-0 (5th round)

2021-0 (5th round)

2022-0 (5th round)

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As of now, this is the best option amongst options. Hall is not ready to start and should be converted to relief in my opinion, and Rodriguez pitched last night and while his numbers have been decent, he's still struggling to throw quality strikes in AAA. Denoyer has regressed, Povich is going through a tough period and can show flashes his brilliance along with the inability to throw enough quality strikes (sound familiar?), and McDermott is still AA (needs to be promoted but also struggles to throw consistent quality strikes at times. 

I think we're also seeing the downside of drafting almost exclusively hitters in the first ten rounds. Not a lot of teams want to trade upper level pitching prospects who look good for hitting prospects.

So yes, right now, Irvin, who was acquired for Darrell Hernaiz, is probably the best option as the #5 starter. If he can get back to where he was last year with Oakland, he should be fine in that role.

Thanks for the rundown.  The cupboard appears to be bare for the time being.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Here’s the thing.  Anybody who watched Irvin pitch earlier this year understands that he didn’t have his usual command.  His stuff is a bit underwhelming, but he navigates by locating well and avoiding free passes.  For the A’s last year, he walked 1.8 batters per 9; in his three starts for us, he walked 5.7 per 9.   That’s not a function of the ballpark, that’s a function of not putting the ball where he wanted it.  And that was true not just for the batters he walked, but generally.   

At Norfolk, he got back into his normal groove, walking only 4 batters in 42 innings.  So, I am expecting to see the “real” Irvin now.   That doesn’t mean he’ll be great, or won’t get knocked around a bit.  But I’m expecting to see the guy who throws strikes, gets ahead in counts, works fast and locates pitches well.  As @wildcardpointed out, the schedule gives him a few weak-hitting teams to face, so hopefully he can have some success.  

Thanks for these thoughts. Out here in Gotham and refusing to subscribe to MLB.com, I did not have the opportunity to watch Irvin, but yes, the early season control/command stats and how we hope they recover are very clear. And he was bad in both Fenway and two OPACY starts.

That sd, the drastic Home/Away split in Irvin's record with the A's is a real warning to heed and seem to have transcended his other stats. I hope the Wallt and O's defensive talent, shd it live up to its potential and stabilize (Hicks and Urías are positive additions in this regard and maybe Gunnar's surge at the plate will calm him down in the field), do in fact compensate for not pitching in the Coliseum. 

Edited by LA2

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure you can come up with your definition of "high round" and figure this out for yourself. 

Heck you can decide to include the pitchers the Astros drafted when he was working for them if you like.

My definition of high round would be...top 3 rounds maybe?

In which case:

2019-0 (8th round)

2020-0 (5th round)

2021-0 (5th round)

2022-0 (5th round)

Let's see--that comes to a score of 8082-0. Pretty clear verdict.

4 hours ago, Ripken said:

Thankfully we didn't sign Bassitt or Eovaldi like many wanted.  Wouldn't want their affordable success on the roster right now.  Much better to scramble every five days.

There's also Michael Wacha 6-2 / 3.18 ERA for the Padres. But let's hope Irvin's results today are a sign of things to come. You don't need five starters in the postseason.

Edited by LA2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It would be a big boost to this club if he’s able to replicate the success he had today or have similar results from here on out. 

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t at this point. Looks like he’ll line up to face CHC, SEA, CIN.