Ryan O'Hearn has to start

Mr-splash

I have been a supporter of Mountcastle but it may be time for him to lose some at bats especially against right handed pitchers. Let’s not get carried away too quickly, Ohearn was playing against his former club so I’m sure he had a bit extra umpf this series. OHearn has a swing very similar to Chris Davis where he stands more upright and dips his right shoulder.

Ironically OHearn is a perfect example of a team possibly cutting ties too quickly on a young player so we shouldn’t be giving up on Monty so quickly. 

Edited by Os4days

Just now, baltfan said:

I suspect Elias’s biggest issue is that he was hoping to trade Mateo and Mountcastle but also hopeful they would generate a bigger return. 

If Mountcastle had been producing at a high level it's unlikely that O'Hearn gets the ABs to show what he can do. Mountcastle and O'Hearn are both not under team control for much longer. O'Hearn is the 2023 starting 1B if we are trying to win.

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The easy answer is O’Hearn starts against RHP and Mountcastle versus LHP. Mountcastle is mashing southpaws with a 1.017 OPS.

This way Mountcastle still gets playing time and hopefully he can work through his issues. If not the O’s have options and don’t need to force feed at bats to Mountcastle. 

This is what I would like to see. That plus a lot less of Mateo and more of Urias and I think those 2 changes could make a big difference. 

Just now, LA2 said:

Today is today. It's not tomorrow or next month. I'm all for you guys coming around to the fact that Elias et al had reasons for signing O'Hearn, Frazier, and Hicks. But I don't think that's justification for dumping Mountcastle. Bunch of present-centered idiots.

Mountcastle is in his 4th season and has gotten worse every single season, to go along with league worst defense at 1B.

• Upvote 1

Eh, we will see how long it lasts.  But sure, definitely get O’Hearn some more ABs, esp against RHs.  I think Mount has plenty left to offer the team, and expect him to remain the starting 1B once he recovers from his mysterious illness.  Plus Blue Jays series coming up… and he loves to mash them.

• Upvote 2