Mounty to 10 Day IL, Denoyer DFA’ed. Kolozsvary Contract Purchased

Orioles Jim

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right here.

Although I don't think he should be released.  I think they should try to trade him, if they can trade him.

In regards to the vertigo, maybe this has played a part in his terrible season, maybe it hasn't.  If it has and he didn't disclose it, that's selfish.  I understand not wanting to go on the IL and wanting to keep playing but if he was trying to play through vertigo symptoms, that's not a good idea on a number of levels.

If it's true that the vertigo is a recent development, that's probably a better scenario for him.  

But vertigo or not, he chases too many pitches out of the zone and has terrible plate discipline.  

I get vertigo watching him bat.  (Yes, bad taste, I know. I couldn’t resist.)

I doubt he’s had it for long.  I’ve had some minor bouts and I’d be afraid to step in a batter’s box in thst condition, even slightly.  Hopefully he will recover quickly.  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Also …..blood pressure….and a warning sign of a stroke. There are plenty of things that can cause that symptom 

And I'm not going to name them because some are too horrible to contemplate, seriously.  Occam's Razor suggests you start by eliminating the most common, first.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Big Mac said:

It's not semantics they are entirely different things.  Wanting someone optioned means you want them to remain in the organization and hopefully straighten things out in Norfolk (there could be other reasons but that is typically it).

A DFA means you are fine with giving every other organization the chance to claim the player for nothing, essentially cutting the player loose.  In that case you are indifferent if the player is ever in an Oriole uniform again.  Nobody has advocated for that for Mountcastle to my knowledge.

I know the difference but thanks for explaining it to me. What I’m trying to say is that there are guys on here who don’t want to see Mounty in the organization any longer. Heck look at the thread started asking what is his trade value. 

Before his injury, I was ready to give Mountcastle the month of June to show me something. June is usually his hottest month, and so that seemed fair to me.

I wondered if I should be more patient with him because of his injury, but with the emergence (or at least hot streak) of O'Hearn and Kjerstad now at AAA and playing first base, I wonder if there's even the need.

I'm thinking if O'Hearn is still hot when Mounty is healthy, Mounty needs to be optioned to see if he can figure anything out. If the team is convinced the vertigo explains everything, maybe I'd give him a few more weeks to show signs of life.

In the meantime, if another team came to me offering anything of value for Mounty, I'd send him packing.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Kolozsvary caught the 9th last night. I thought it was just a bit weird that they didn't use McCann, but on the other hand it might be kind of eye-rolly to make the veteran suit up in that spot. 

Either way, Kolozsvay is DFA bait. Gotta be, right? If they wanted someone more long-term they'd go to Bemboom or Handley. 

Actually agree with you here (or there?) on the DFA bait. 

Handley came back from his 1 week of Bowie Rehab, Rodriguez returned to Bowie from his Rehab.  No where left to put Kolozsvary but the travel squad... and then fill a hole last minute.  Last 7 games, Kolo is 1-22 dropping his average to 0.162.  

Likely will do another deep dive on the state of the MiLB catchers over on the Minors side later today.

46 minutes ago, Os4days said:

I know the difference but thanks for explaining it to me. What I’m trying to say is that there are guys on here who don’t want to see Mounty in the organization any longer. Heck look at the thread started asking what is his trade value. 

Those who would like him optioned by definition want him in the organization. They just don't want to pencil him in as the starter for the next 3+ years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I get vertigo watching him bat.  (Yes, bad taste, I know. I couldn’t resist.)

I doubt he’s had it for long.  I’ve had some minor bouts and I’d be afraid to step in a batter’s box in thst condition, even slightly.  Hopefully he will recover quickly.  

I’m not sure if it was Vertigo, but I had something similar that ended up clearing on its own before a doctor could treat it a couple years back. 

I could barely drive my car without getting seriously dizzy. I can’t imagine what it would feel like standing in the batter’s box trying to it a 95 MPH fastball with Vertigo. 

1 hour ago, Os4days said:

Mountcastle has underperformed all year so naturally there will be discussion on what to do with that player, especially after they are coming off a down year and have fallen off OPS wise each year he has been in the major leagues. 

Now perhaps your close to the situation or just a big Mountcastle fan, but I don't see any reason why optioning or trading Mountcastle is such a ludicrous idea.

His play has dictated that his role had been already cut into and now the vertigo. hopefully the vertigo is something that is minor and will go away, but for now, he's not going anywhere. As long as O Hearn is hitting at 1B though, it's going to be hard to regain that position full-time without an injury or O'Hearn regressing back to KC mean.

I want the best for Mounty and hope he recovers from the vertigo and starts hitting bombs for us.

Do I think it's likely that Mountcastle gets optioned this year? Not really. But if Cole Irvin can throw 180 IP last year with an ERA under 4 and get optioned by a SP-starved team like the Orioles, then there's nothing stopping Mounty from getting optioned despite the fact that he hit 33 HR one year. Especially if they think it will help him in the long run. 

I doubt it happens, but contending teams have to make tough decisions to maximize their roster sometimes. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I want the best for Mounty and hope he recovers from the vertigo and starts hitting bombs for us.

Do I think it's likely that Mountcastle gets optioned this year? Not really. But if Cole Irvin can throw 180 IP last year with an ERA under 4 and get optioned by a SP-starved team like the Orioles, then there's nothing stopping Mounty from getting optioned despite the fact that he hit 33 HR one year. Especially if they think it will help him in the long run. 

I doubt it happens, but contending teams have to make tough decisions to maximize their roster sometimes. 

The vertigo gives an excuse to avoid it potentially. He gets away from things a bit. Then, when he's healthy enough he goes on rehab and hopefully finds himself a bit there. 

It definitely could happen. 

First Mounty has to get healthy.   Then he can go on rehab to the minors for 20 days.  Then Elias decides if he can help the O's or needs to be optioned.    20 days in they minors to work on plate discipline and swing decisions may be enough .....or not.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

First Mounty has to get healthy.   Then he can go on rehab to the minors for 20 days.  Then Elias decides if he can help the O's or needs to be optioned.    20 days in they minors to work on plate discipline and swing decisions may be enough .....or not.

It’s unusual for a veteran player to use all 20 days of their rehab assignment, but it could happen in this case if O’Hearn and/or Lester are producing.  

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mountcastle has underperformed all year so naturally there will be discussion on what to do with that player, especially after they are coming off a down year and have fallen off OPS wise each year he has been in the major leagues. 

Now perhaps your close to the situation or just a big Mountcastle fan, but I don't see any reason why optioning or trading Mountcastle is such a ludicrous idea.

His play has dictated that his role had been already cut into and now the vertigo. hopefully the vertigo is something that is minor and will go away, but for now, he's not going anywhere. As long as O Hearn is hitting at 1B though, it's going to be hard to regain that position full-time without an injury or O'Hearn regressing back to KC mean.

Good response. I have no skin in the game with Mounty other than he is the only guy in our lineup that can jack a three run homer on a consistent basis. Do we have other guys with pop? Sure but we definitely need that power bat in the middle of the lineup. Maybe Ohearn can be that answer and if so, I’m all for moving on from Mounty. Maybe we trade for that right handed slugger and if so, terrific. Then I’m onboard with moving on from Mounty. 

There have been many cases of teams running young sluggers out of town. Hell Texas gave up on Chris Davis pretty quickly. I just don’t want us to make the same mistake with Mounty. 

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s unusual for a veteran player to use all 20 days of their rehab assignment, but it could happen in this case if O’Hearn and/or Lester are producing.  

Even if they are producing, you still have Diaz at AAA who is producing and has a plus glove. He is unlikely a future piece and he is blocking either Kjerstad or Mayo getting reps at 1B in Norfolk. Use all the rehab time and an option on Mounty, it's time to know if he can make the adjustment or not, the next wave will be here soon enough.