Starting Pitching Target - Yoshinobu Yamamoto

baltfan

There has been a lot of talk regarding the need for an ace starter.  Much has been made of potential trading for a potential #1 but it doesn't seem there may be many of that level of starter available in the offseason.  

The Orioles should instead consider bidding for Yoshinobu Yamamoto when he is likely posted this coming year.  Yamamoto is going to be just 25 and has won just about every accolade that a pitcher can win in Japan.  I know that it is unlikely the Orioles would prevail, but they should at least try to compete for what would seem an ideal solution for them.  Senga was an inferior prospect and got 5/75 from the Mets.  Even if Yamamoto got double that, he might well be worth it.  In any event, the Orioles should be aggressive in looking into him.

Here is his Baseball Reference page.  Yoshinobu Yamamoto Japanese Leagues Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Here is an article on the possibility of him being posted and the potential cost.  NPB Ace Yoshinobu Yamamoto Could Be Posted For MLB Teams - MLB Trade Rumors

Ironically, this might not work because it would do little to assist in the backlog of positional prospects the Orioles have.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm wondering what SigBot's mega computer has to say about Japanese import pitchers.

The truly elite ones like Yamamoto have tended to fair well.  If not as good of a prospect as Darvish or Ohtani (pitching-wise), he is a tick below.  

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm more curious on if the O's are still refusing to engage in the posting process.

Que Angelos complaining about the challenges of being a small market team and say he's going to do everythiing to bring a winning team to Baltimore (as long as it doesn't cost much money).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The Williams sisters got destroyed by the 700th ranked men's tennis players in the world.  DESTROYED.  They have no chance.    Please do not compare men's and women's sports.  I played tennis my entire life, including at a Big 10 school, and the difference between men and women in sports is not EVEN in the same universe.  I would have to downsize my game 50% just so I could hit with them on a somewhat even basis.    But of course you like to make statements that are twilight zone stuff. 
    • Also pretty wild that neither list includes the Dodgers, who seemed to be building the ultimate super team this offseason as they acquired the best player on the planet and one of the best available pitchers, etc while they already had one of the OTHER best players on the planet on their roster. 
    • Pretty cool that only one team is on both lists. The Os are legit and have been for a good while now. 
    • BTW I would agree.  I would not trade GH for JH.  Not even close. 
    • That is a really good post.  I agree with almost everything that you said.  The only real issue is there have been lots of dads that have trained their sons to be elite in any particular sport.  From tennis to golf to baseball.  The main factor is if the dads do that AND the son is elite athletically. Obviously TIGER was.  But for every 1 Tiger there are 1,000,000 no names.  You have to have the elite athletic ability to carry you to the next level. And while I think JH is really good for his age, and a nice kid, I just don't see the athleticism in him that makes him the next super star.  I saw wayyyyy, as in not even close, way more athleticism in Manny at the same age than I do JH.  Gunnar as well.   I hope I am wrong.  But he reminds me more and more of an AI cyborg that was trained to do something much more than the average kid.  And that gave him and advantage growing up.  I don't see 'special'.
    • If you got a live arm and two pitches you are pretty much ready for bullpen duty. They'd probably do it to HS kids if the value of a starter wasn't so much higher.
    • Gives the lower level guys a bit of a boost.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now