Snell/Hader package

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They wouldn’t get Cowser or Kjerstad but Stowers or Beavers could be in the deal. Add in players like Norby and Hall. 

Maybe something can happen with those guys. The Os take on all salary too, which is part of this (and perhaps why it doesn’t happen on their end).

The thing is, I could see them getting more for Hader than I would be willing to give up, so a deal for just Snell could be more realistic.

I would be more interested in trading for just Hader even if had to give a little more.  Norby and Beavers?

6 minutes ago, vab said:

I doubt the Padres will pack it in but if they did this is what I think Snell/Hader would cost even as rentals in an extreme seller's market. 

Kjerstad

One of Ortiz, Norby, Prieto

Urias

Povich

I think this is maybe a little generous, but otherwise representative of what it would take to get Snell/Hader.  Some team will probably spend that much, but I hope it's not the Orioles especially if Hjerstad is necessary to get it done.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Likely, they'd be in the same position we are, too much IF/OF depth and nowhere to play it.

The thing is, they are only going to get so much for rentals and if they want to save money, they just need to get the best deal they can and sort things out later.

You can always make additional trades down the road.

That said, I don’t think they sell off but if they do, these would likely be the 2 prime candidates to go.

But if they desire pitching for them and some team gives up the pitching they want, we can’t hang with that unless they still value Hall highly, which maybe they do.

12 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

Bieber's K rate has gone from 33% to 25% to 18% over three seasons. That is really, really bad for a guy in his 20s. E-Rod has had a very good season but was very average the last two years. All the Miami guys are under team control for a number of seasons, so I doubt they are going to part with any of them.

All that is to say that outside of Ohtani, the market is going to be made of Snells, Giolitos, etc., as well as the guys listed above, and the team will have to work within that. There aren't going to be any TOR arms available, so they will be well served to kick the tires on the 2s and 3s that do become available.

Ohtani is nit going to be on the market. The Angels have repeatedly said that they aren't moving him. I agree about Bieber's K-rate and velo. But he's still better than what we have. Eduardo Rodriguez was pitching like a Cy Young, he has pitched much better than the Snells, Giolitos of the world this year. As a matter of fact, I would be very confident with us facing ANYBODY with the way that he has pitched this year.

Yes the MIA guys are all under control for multiple years beyond this season, that's why they are appealing. They need hitting and they have too much pitching, kind of the opposite of us.

You speak with a lot of certainty as though you know something definite regarding the future. If so, kudos to you! I don't have that luxury. But I am not going to dismiss possibilities to chase the Snells and Giolitos of the world. I am confident that their acquisitions will not be sufficient when matching up with the McClanahans, Coles, Javiers, Grays, Ryans, Valdezes and Gausmans of the world.

Besides, we are going to need a front line rotation starter next year any way, so I would like to see us solve this issues for the next few years if possible. But if we have to go after guys who are going to be FA at season's end or have opt-outs, Eduardo Rodriguez is the guy. Btw, he is preparing to make a rehab on Thursday, so he will be back in time to be available at the deadline.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Heck yeah I'd be interested in that. As always depends on the cost. I wonder if Basallo is someone they would be interested in? Their C's are hitting .140 and .200. 

They can be interested but he isn’t going anywhere, especially for a rental.

The Padres aren’t going to sell unless absolutely forced to and are going to wait until the trade deadline to make any moves. If the Padres play well over the next month they will aim for the wildcard.

Id love to have Snell or Hader to bolster the pitching staff, so I’ll be rooting for the Padres to lose as many games as possible the next month. 

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Ohtani is nit going to be on the market. The Angels have repeatedly said that they aren't moving him. I agree about Bieber's K-rate and velo. But he's still better than what we have. Eduardo Rodriguez was pitching like a Cy Young, he has pitched much better than the Snells, Giolitos of the world this year. As a matter of fact, I would be very confident with us facing ANYBODY with the way that he has pitched this year.

Yes the MIA guys are all under control for multiple years beyond this season, that's why they are appealing. They need hitting and they have too much pitching, kind of the opposite of us.

You speak with a lot of certainty as though you know something definite regarding the future. If so, kudos to you! I don't have that luxury. But I am not going to dismiss possibilities to chase the Snells and Giolitos of the world. I am confident that their acquisitions will not be sufficient when matching up with the McClanahans, Coles, Javiers, Grays, Ryans, Valdezes and Gausmans of the world.

Besides, we are going to need a front line rotation starter next year any way, so I would like to see us solve this issues for the next few years if possible. But if we have to go after guys who are going to be FA at season's end or have opt-outs, Eduardo Rodriguez is the guy. Btw, he is preparing to make a rehab on Thursday, so he will be back in time to be available at the deadline.

You are talking about the same ERod who is currently hurt and has a history of injuries and inconsistencies, right?

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bieber? ERod?  But not Snell?  That just doesn’t make sense to me at all.

Were you paying attention to what Rodriguez was doing before the injury? He was pitching like a Cy Young candidate. Yes, I will take his season to date over Snell's 10 times out of 10! Eduardo Rodriguez has missed about a month's time and has 67 innings pitched in 11 starts. Snell has 81 innings pitched in 15 starts. One is definitely better than the other.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Padres aren’t going to sell unless absolutely forced to and are going to wait until the trade deadline to make any moves. If the Padres play well over the next month they will aim for the wildcard.

Id love to have Snell or Hader to bolster the pitching staff, so I’ll be rooting for the Padres to lose as many games as possible the next month. 

If they are even remotely close, they aren’t selling. It would take similar or even worse play than they have had so far this year. Their division is stacked. They also have a positive run differential that is only 2 runs worse than the Os, so they have been unlucky this year record wise.

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I would be more interested in trading for just Hader even if had to give a little more.  Norby and Beavers?

Same, it's much easier to trade for a reliever when you have no real low-minors pitching prospects to offer up. That way you can give them Norby/Beavers/throw in low-A pitcher.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Were you paying attention to what Rodriguez was doing before the injury? He was pitching like a Cy Young candidate. Yes, I will take his season to date over Snell's 10 times out of 10! Eduardo Rodriguez has missed about a month's time and has 67 innings pitched in 11 starts. Snell has 81 innings pitched in 15 starts. One is definitely better than the other.

Yes, in the SSS of this year, ERod has been excellent. I brought his name up 2 months ago on this board as a target.

However, he’s hurt again and you don’t know what he will be after the injury or how long it takes him to get back.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Same, it's much easier to trade for a reliever when you have no real low-minors pitching prospects to offer up. That way you can give them Norby/Beavers/throw in low-A pitcher.

Relievers tend to get a lot at the deadline, so I’m not sure that it’s easier.