Let's talk Roster Crunch

wildcard

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Because if he is a free agent they can get outbid by another team willing to pay more?

You really don't get this one.

The Yankees will pay Hicks 9.5m next season minus what he gets from any team that signs him.

So if the O's sign him for 750K the Yankees will pay him 8.75M.

If some team offers him 1M then the Yankees will pay 8.5m.    

Hicks will make 9.5M no matter who he plays for.  Hick does not benefit by some team paying more of this salary.

The only one that benefits from  a higher contract is the Yankees because they have to play less of Hicks salary.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Yankees will pay Hicks 9.5m next season minus what he gets from any team that signs him.

Hicks will make 9.5M no matter who he plays for.  Hick does not benefit by some team paying more of this salary.

The only one that benefits from  a higher contract is the Yankees because they have to play less of Hicks salary.

Thank you! It was that last part I didn't get.

14 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Too early to do this but I would be surprised if they extend Hicks. They were lucky to catch some lightning in a bottle but I would expect Elias to let his inevitable regression be some other organization's problem. Between Haskin, Cowser, and Kjerstad we should have better options. I would rather they just pay Santander. I also don't see McKenna as all that important to keep. Haskin could be a younger, better version of him. 

I'm not really seeing any must-protect guys on the Rule 5 list. Haskin would be nice as a replacement for McKenna but McKenna still isn't arb eligible.

I agree with this, but I would argue Haskin is very good trade bait in the quest for better pitching. If we were to package Haskin with Norby (maybe even Urias or Mateo) and a few more minor league prospects down the list as sweeteners, we should be able to get a very nice return for a starting pitcher with a good pedigree. That package would seem to match up well with a team like Cleveland.  That would give Norby and Haskin more of an opportunity to play in the big leagues and have productive careers, while giving us the pitcher we need.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

That doesnt stop another team from paying more than minimum just because the Orioles are cheap. Hicks is worth more than league minimum, and is a free agent. Other teams don't care that he has 9.5 million coming from the Yankees. If Kyle Gibson makes 10 million and Adam Frazier makes 8 then I dont see why a team wouldnt pay 10+ for hicks on a one year deal if he produces the rest of the way. There is no way hes just "available" at league minimum for Elias to scoop him up. 

2 minutes ago, terpoh said:

That doesnt stop another team from paying more than minimum just because the Orioles are cheap. Hicks is worth more than league minimum, and is a free agent. Other teams don't care that he has 9.5 million coming from the Yankees. If Kyle Gibson makes 10 million and Adam Frazier makes 8 then I dont see why a team wouldnt pay 10+ for hicks on a one year deal if he produces the rest of the way. There is no way hes just "available" at league minimum for Elias to scoop him up. 

Can you provide an example of this ever happening?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can you provide an example of this ever happening?

Of a guy getting cut but having a contract from one team, playing very well for another team and then signing as a free agent somewhere for his going rate? I cannot. I was just trying to think in my head that Hicks would be more valuable on the open market than a Kyle GIbson or an Adam Frazier. I dont see teams just giving up on pursuing him after he gets offered more than league minimum because the yankees are covering the rest. So then it becomes, does Aaron Hicks want to come to Baltimore at what will almost assuredly be a backup role, or look at other options? I dont see Hicks on the 2024 Baltimore Orioles I guess was my overarching thought, and certainly not for the sole reason of "we can just get him at league minimum."

15 minutes ago, terpoh said:

I agree this is possible but highly unlikely.

If a team offers 10m then Hick could/would accept that offer and the Yankees will be completely off the hook for that one year.

Hicks will be 34 with a high injury risk.  Anything is possible but its not likely that offer happens this off season.

Edited by wildcard

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree this is possible but highly unlikely.

If a team offers 10m then Hick could/would accept that offer and the Yankees will be completely off the hook for that one year.

Hicks will be 34 with a high injury risk.  Anything is possible but not likely that offer happens this off season.

If this somehow came to pass Hicks would be forfeiting the money owed him in 2025 correct? 

8 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Of a guy getting cut but having a contract from one team, playing very well for another team and then signing as a free agent somewhere for his going rate? I cannot. I was just trying to think in my head that Hicks would be more valuable on the open market than a Kyle GIbson or an Adam Frazier. I dont see teams just giving up on pursuing him after he gets offered more than league minimum because the yankees are covering the rest. So then it becomes, does Aaron Hicks want to come to Baltimore at what will almost assuredly be a backup role, or look at other options? I dont see Hicks on the 2024 Baltimore Orioles I guess was my overarching thought, and certainly not for the sole reason of "we can just get him at league minimum."

I doubt Gibson gets  10m or Frazier gets 8m next year.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If this somehow came to pass Hicks would be forfeiting the money owed him in 2025 correct? 

Well if this is the case, then yes Hicks should just take a minimum. I am not aware of how his contract works. I was only comparing his value vs league minimum and his value vs a 10 mill and 8 mill older vet. 

2 hours ago, terpoh said:

I was confused about this as well. From what I now understand, the problem is that if another team offers, say $1M, Hicks doesn't see any of that money. He has no incentive to accept because he gets paid by the Yankees the same amount no matter what. It's a weird situation but Hicks' only incentive to sign for more money would be if he wants to help the Yankees and hurt his new team. His only incentive really is where he can be on a playoff team and/or get regular playing time. 

3 hours ago, terpoh said:

That is not how that works. Hicks can not sign a contract for more money. He is locked into the current contract that he signed with the Yankees. They are on the hook for 100% of the remaining value. Hicks can walk away today and nothing will change that since the Yankees are the ones who cut him. The only way that they Yankees can avoid paying him 100% of the remaining contract is if Hicks signs with another team. That team is then on the hook for league minimum. There is no way for Hicks to get more money. He is under contract through 2025. The only question is does he play and for who? 

2 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

That is not how that works. Hicks can not sign a contract for more money. He is locked into the current contract that he signed with the Yankees. They are on the hook for 100% of the remaining value. Hicks can walk away today and nothing will change that since the Yankees are the ones who cut him. The only way that they Yankees can avoid paying him 100% of the remaining contract is if Hicks signs with another team. That team is then on the hook for league minimum. There is no way for Hicks to get more money. He is under contract through 2025. The only question is does he play and for who? 

So if a team were, for some insane reason, want to offer Hicks a three year 45 million contract at the end of the season he doesn't have an ability to sever his contract with the Yankees and accept?

Not that it would ever happen but that seems odd that it wouldn't be an option.