Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm embarrassed to admit that Jackie Robinson was the first player I thought of but I thought myself out of picking him...I just didn't think he'd got 200 hits in a season.  I only picked Sax because someone on here mentioned him a last week and I was actually looking at his stats.  He had a few really good years.  

Sax was my first thought and talked myself out of it because I’m pretty sure he had some injury issues.

Garvey was another one but just wasn’t sure if he hit enough. Knew he had played in like 1307 straight games, so I felt that gave him a chance. Didn’t realize he had 200 hits so many years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Forgot about Oliver Drake.   I wanted to go with that other relief pitcher we had who had the disgusting habit of licking his fingers between pitches and then went to Tampa for a few years, but I couldn't pull his name out of the back of my head so I settled for Steve Pearce.

An hour later, while driving to work, I finally remembered the name of the finger licker:   Chazz Roe.

Some players we try to block out the memory of.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sax was my first thought and talked myself out of it because I’m pretty sure he had some injury issues.

Garvey was another one but just wasn’t sure if he hit enough. Knew he had played in like 1307 straight games, so I felt that gave him a chance. Didn’t realize he had 200 hits so many years.

Garvey was before my time and I mostly only know him from the scandal, but I also knew that he had a huge consecutive games streak and hit .300 every year, and I figured it would be tough to play 162 and hit .300 without reaching 200 hits on occasion.

I compare with my brother and nephew every day, but they’re way better than me at this.  I thought Wigginton would be the low Orioles all star (at least, he should be), but my nephew picked Gregg Olson who was 0.1%.  Go figure.  

I finally went 9/9 this afternoon, but more than half my answers were the most popular ones, so my rarity score was only 220.   

Edited by Frobby

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Went with Esteban Yan for the O's/Rays for 0.5% and Chris Sabo for the O's Reds. Shocked that one was 2%.

I also used Steve Avery, who I used a week ago for Braves/Tigers so he was fresh in my mind.

I was looking at Esteban Yan’s reference page a few days ago after doing a different grid but didn’t think of him today.  I went with Evan Phillips and surprisingly he was only 1%. 

Nvm, it’s not that surprising because Phillips only pitched one game as a Ray.  I pictured him being there for longer than that. 

Edited by ArtVanDelay

9 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I was looking at Esteban Yan’s reference page a few days ago after doing a different grid but didn’t think of him today.  I went with Evan Phillips and surprisingly he was only 1%. 

Nvm, it’s not that surprising because Phillips only pitched one game as a Ray.  I pictured him being there for longer than that. 

I just remember in the 1997 expansion draft the Orioles lost David Delucci and Esteban Yan (and now that I look it up, Aaron Ledesma), so they are always the first Diamondbacks and Rays I think of.

Edited by MurphDogg

I think today's is pretty hard.  I mean, I think anything with NL teams is tricky, the NL is off my radar...so figuring out who played for the White Sox and the Diamondbacks/Marlins was a total blank for me.  Those are the two I missed.

My grid:  

Spoiler

Miss, Kyle Lewis, Luis Gonzalez

Miss, Ichiro, Giancarlo Stanton

Ozzie Guillen, Alvin Davis, Albert Pujols

I just looked at the answers for the two I missed.  Oh man.

Spoiler

I forgot Roberto Alomar played for the Diamondbacks for about 30 seconds.  And the White Sox for about 5 minutes.  Adam Dunn was a name I should have remembered.  And Edwin Jackson is a name I think I'll play whenever I get stuck, good chance he'll cover both teams.  Adam LaRoche is another name I probably should have gotten, Jarrod Dyson, Fat Matt Albers and Dallas Keuchel are others.

As far as Marlins/White Sox, Bobby Bonilla is a good one.  I didn't remember Buehrle on the Marlins.  Avisail Garcia.  Carlos Lee.  Billy Koch.  Tim Raines.

Edited by Moose Milligan

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think today's is pretty hard.  I mean, I think anything with NL teams is tricky, the NL is off my radar...so figuring out who played for the White Sox and the Diamondbacks/Marlins was a total blank for me.  Those are the two I missed.

My grid:  

Hide contents

Miss, Kyle Lewis, Luis Gonzalez

Miss, Ichiro, Giancarlo Stanton

Ozzie Guillen, Alvin Davis, Albert Pujols

I just looked at the answers for the two I missed.  Oh man.

Reveal hidden contents

I forgot Roberto Alomar played for the Diamondbacks for about 30 seconds.  And the White Sox for about 5 minutes.  Adam Dunn was a name I should have remembered.  And Edwin Jackson is a name I think I'll play whenever I get stuck, good chance he'll cover both teams.  Adam LaRoche is another name I probably should have gotten, Jarrod Dyson, Fat Matt Albers and Dallas Keuchel are others.

As far as Marlins/White Sox, Bobby Bonilla is a good one.  I didn't remember Buehrle on the Marlins.  Avisail Garcia.  Carlos Lee.  Billy Koch.  Tim Raines.

I missed 3 today although some of that was attributed to the idea that I picked a few guys wrong for ROY but still ended up filling those spots and didn’t really try a few spots I missed.

That said, I went back and looked at the BR answers and I’m not sure I would have gotten them right anyway. Tons of names on there that I would have never thought of.

• Upvote 1

DBacks is an absolute black hole for me. A West Coast team that has been thoroughly uninteresting for 90% of their history. Even their championship team is pretty unmemorable outside of Johnson-Schilling. I looked at the list of possible DBacks-White Sox and I had no idea any of those guys played for Arizona.

I butchered mine after thinking of 100+ RBI Season that no one would think of.

Spoiler

For Arizona, I went with Steve Finley and for Miami, I went with Mike Lowell.  I messed up the ROY thinking Mike Marshall did it for the Dodgers.  Oh well.