Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m currently sitting on 8/8, racking my brain trying to think of the name of the SS who played for the Nats and then played for Texas and KC.   I remember he had a terrible walk year with the Nats,  signed a pillow contract and hit very well as an OF for Texas, then signed a big deal with KC and sucked there.  I can picture him, know all this crap about him, but the name is eluding me.  I’ll sit on this all day if I have to.   

It wasn’t K.C. after TX. It was CO. If we are thinking the same guy.

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

It wasn’t K.C. after TX. It was CO. If we are thinking the same guy.

Well, you are right, and since I would have made a wrong guess if I’d remembered the name initially, I more or less fell on my sword and guessed Alcides Escobar instead.   Also wrong.   

I don’t know why I have so much trouble remembering Ian Desmond’s name.  It’s not the first time that’s happened.   Apparently I don’t remember who he played for, either!

8/9 172 😠

Spoiler

Don Newcombe, Josh Gibson, Miss

John Montefusco, Benito Santiago, Robby Thompson

Tim Conroy, Tony Pena, Jose Oquendo

I'm annoyed because I thought Hank Aaron played shortstop in the Negro Leagues.  And, according to Wikipedia:

Negro and minor leagues[edit]

On November 20, 1951, baseball scout Ed Scott signed Aaron to a contract on behalf of the Indianapolis Clowns of the Negro American League, where he played for three months.[17]

He started play as a 6 ft (180 cm), 180 lb (82 kg) shortstop, and earned $200 per month.[18] As a result of his standout play with the Indianapolis Clowns, Aaron received two offers from MLB teams via telegram, one from the New York Giants and the other from the Boston Braves. Years later, Aaron remembered:

I had the Giants' contract in my hand. But the Braves offered fifty dollars a month more. That's the only thing that kept Willie Mays and me from being teammates – fifty dollars.[19]

Tough break, Moose.  I scored 9/9 164.   Had to go with the most popular Giants SS answer because I was blanking there.  I thought I remembered they had a SS named Pagan, but when I stuck that name in it gave me several Pagans to choose from and I couldn’t remember which one it was (it was Jose).   So, I just took the safe answer there for 40 points.  My three Negro League answers cost me 119 points.  The other 5 answers (excluding the Giants one) only cost 5 points combined.

9/9, 130

Spoiler

Don Newcombe (same as Moose), Roy Campanella (who I believe played in Baltimore in the Negro Leagues), Jackie Robinson (76 of my 130 points!)

Kevin Gausman, Austin Wynns, Johnnie Lemaster -- 3% for LeMaster?   I pull that nobody out of the back of my head I expect less than one percent!

Andrew Miller, Matt Wieters, Garry Templeton

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

8/9 186 whiffed and I thought for some reason Jose Mesa pitched for Twins and Mariners.

Reveal hidden contents

Tom Brunansky, Kevin Mitchell, Luis Tiant

miss, John Olerud, Mark Langston

Carlos Correa, Mike Scott, Curt Schilling

I had a heck of a time coming up with a Twin/Mariner too until it FINALLY came to me.   I couldn't come up with anyone, let alone an Oriole, until I finally thought of someone who was an Oriole.

I started around 10AM and have gone back to it every hour or so until now and tried a little harder until the dam broke in my brain.

Wound up with 9/9, 50, and 8 Orioles.   Couldn't come up with an Oriole for Houston/Seattle.   Turns out I could have used Latroy Hawkins, Fernando Abad, or Ron Washington.   Doubt I ever would have thought of any of them.

Spoiler

Don Baylor, Justin Turner, David Wells

Nelson Cruz, Keon Broxton, Jamie Moyer

Carlos Gomez (non-Oriole), Pete Harnisch, Curt Schilling.

Don't know why it took me so long to get Cruz today, I use him all the time in this thing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I had a heck of a time coming up with a Twin/Mariner too until it FINALLY came to me.   I couldn't come up with anyone, let alone an Oriole, until I finally thought of someone who was an Oriole.

I started around 10AM and have gone back to it every hour or so until now and tried a little harder until the dam broke in my brain.

Wound up with 9/9, 50, and 8 Orioles.   Couldn't come up with an Oriole for Houston/Seattle.   Turns out I could have used Latroy Hawkins, Fernando Abad, or Ron Washington.   Doubt I ever would have thought of any of them.

Hide contents

Don Baylor, Justin Turner, David Wells

Nelson Cruz, Keon Broxton, Jamie Moyer

Carlos Gomez (non-Oriole), Pete Harnisch, Curt Schilling.

Don't know why it took me so long to get Cruz today, I use him all the time in this thing.

Well done on the 9/9!  

Latroy Hawkins has become a recent favorite, he pitched a long time and for a lot of teams.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well done on the 9/9!  

Latroy Hawkins has become a recent favorite, he pitched a long time and for a lot of teams.

Yep, and only one season for the Orioles, yet he seems fairly memorable to me.   I can still picture him, and I never have to pause and think, "oh yeah, he did play for us" like I do for some one year guys.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yep, and only one season for the Orioles, yet he seems fairly memorable to me.   I can still picture him, and I never have to pause and think, "oh yeah, he did play for us" like I do for some one year guys.

I remember him here because we got him and I thought he was pretty good and then he was terrible for us. Not Kline bad, but pretty bad. 

I was tempted to use Nick Madrigal for my White Sox 2B today after all the annoying “Nicky Ortiz” comments on Soxtalk the last few weeks.  But instead I went with Yolmer Sanchez.  He scored well, at 0.9%.  Don’t know how Madrigal would have done.  I screwed up a couple of other answers, so it didn’t matter.  

9/9, 72.  7 Orioles used.

Spoiler

Paul Molitor, Lenn Sakata, Cecil Cooper

Tim Raines, Roberto Alombar, Jim Thome

Eddie Murray, John Lowenstein, Brady Anderson

I was surprised Lowenstein came in at 0.2%, I expected him to be more like 0.02%.   But I guess his one game at 2B for the Orioles was pretty memorable.

Turns out there WAS an Oriole answer for Milwaukee/100 runs.   Tommy Harper.   Never would have guessed him.

And there was an answer for Milwaukee/2000 hits that played for the Orioles too:  BJ Surhoff.   Kind of kicking myself for missing him.