Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

@SteveAI think this might be one where you can get all Orioles.  Or come really close to it....after filling it out this morning and getting the score on my laptop, I opened it up on my phone to try to see if I could do your challenge.  

Here's a hint, Fred Lynn surprisingly never won a Silver Slugger.  Not in Boston, not anywhere.  So that took me out of the running.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, probably later this afternoon when I have a slow moment at work.

And if the box was for Boston/Silver Slugger and I was trying to put an Oriole in, yes, Fred Lynn is probably the first name I would have tried, so thanks for the warning!

49 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, probably later this afternoon when I have a slow moment at work.

And if the box was for Boston/Silver Slugger and I was trying to put an Oriole in, yes, Fred Lynn is probably the first name I would have tried, so thanks for the warning!

I then thought of the other next logical option a few minutes later. I’m sure you’ll get it, too. 

Silver Sluggers are challenging.    I've started leaning outfielders since there are three per year.

I wasn't even trying for low score when I tried HOU Lance Berkman, and it was a miss.     I guess it was steroid era, but geez---six full seasons of 153 OPS+ took an 0-for-6.     Everything is Barry Bonds' fault.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

@SteveAI think this might be one where you can get all Orioles.  Or come really close to it....after filling it out this morning and getting the score on my laptop, I opened it up on my phone to try to see if I could do your challenge.  

Here's a hint, Fred Lynn surprisingly never won a Silver Slugger.  Not in Boston, not anywhere.  So that took me out of the running.

Part of your problem is that the Silver Slugger Awards only started in 1980.  Lynn’s best two seasons by far were in 1975 and 1979.  He surely would have won Silver Sluggers in both those years if the award had existed.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Part of your problem is that the Silver Slugger Awards only started in 1980.  Lynn’s best two seasons by far were in 1975 and 1979.  He surely would have won Silver Sluggers in both those years if the award had existed.  

That's right.  For some reason I thought they'd started in the mid 70s.  

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You vastly overrated my abilities!   I tried to get all Orioles and fell woefully short.   My brain wasn't making the right connections today.

I did get 9/9, 90 rarity.   

I was able to get all Orioles for the 3 Silver Sluggers, only because you steered me away from Fred Lynn who undoubtedly would have been my first guess.

But I was only able to fill 2 of the 6 team-team squares with Orioles, despite a lot of thought and effort, taking breaks and coming back to it, etc.   I finally gave up and filled the other 6 team-team squares with non Orioles.

Spoiler

Silver Sluggers:  Dwight Evans, Will Clark, Glenn Davis.

Team squares I filled with Orioles:   Atl/SF Kevin Gausman, Bos/NYM Justin Turner

Team squares I couldn't come up with an Oriole:

• Bos/Atl -- I went with Adam Duvall.  Looking up after the fact I see Kelly Johnson (never would have thought of him), Javy Lopez (63 ABs with Boston that I don't remember), and Bruce Chen.   No way I ever would have come up with one of those those guys.   Hopefully 16 weeks from today we'll be able to add Craig Kimbrel to that list.
  • SF/NYM -- I went with Willie Mays.  Orioles I didn't think of:  Jim Dwyer (13 AB in '76 with the Mets), LaTroy Hawkins,  and Tom O'Malley.   Doubt I ever would have gotten them either.
  • Atl/Hou -- I went with Charlie Morton.   Orioles:   Bruce Chen again, Bud Norris, Gregg Olson.
  • NYM/Hou -- I went with Carlos Beltran.   Orioles:   Bruce Chen again, Sid Fernandez, Pete Harnisch, Latroy Hawkins, Ray Knight, Jonathan Villar, Ty Wigginton, Tim Byrdak.   I actually thought of Syd Fernandez for this square but I wasn't 100% sure he ever pitched for Houston.

Ain't no way I was going to come up with an all Oriole solution to this one.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

You vastly overrated my abilities!   I tried to get all Orioles and fell woefully short.   My brain wasn't making the right connections today.

I did get 9/9, 90 rarity.   

I was able to get all Orioles for the 3 Silver Sluggers, only because you steered me away from Fred Lynn who undoubtedly would have been my first guess.

But I was only able to fill 2 of the 6 team-team squares with Orioles, despite a lot of thought and effort, taking breaks and coming back to it, etc.   I finally gave up and filled the other 6 team-team squares with non Orioles.

Reveal hidden contents

Silver Sluggers:  Dwight Evans, Will Clark, Glenn Davis.

Team squares I filled with Orioles:   Atl/SF Kevin Gausman, Bos/NYM Justin Turner

Team squares I couldn't come up with an Oriole:

• Bos/Atl -- I went with Adam Duvall.  Looking up after the fact I see Kelly Johnson (never would have thought of him), Javy Lopez (63 ABs with Boston that I don't remember), and Bruce Chen.   No way I ever would have come up with one of those those guys.   Hopefully 16 weeks from today we'll be able to add Craig Kimbrel to that list.
  • SF/NYM -- I went with Willie Mays.  Orioles I didn't think of:  Jim Dwyer (13 AB in '76 with the Mets), LaTroy Hawkins,  and Tom O'Malley.   Doubt I ever would have gotten them either.
  • Atl/Hou -- I went with Charlie Morton.   Orioles:   Bruce Chen again, Bud Norris, Gregg Olson.
  • NYM/Hou -- I went with Carlos Beltran.   Orioles:   Bruce Chen again, Sid Fernandez, Pete Harnisch, Latroy Hawkins, Ray Knight, Jonathan Villar, Ty Wigginton, Tim Byrdak.   I actually thought of Syd Fernandez for this square but I wasn't 100% sure he ever pitched for Houston.

Ain't no way I was going to come up with an all Oriole solution to this one.

Nah, I don't vastly overrate your abilities, I thought it was really impressive when you got a whole grid of former Orioles.  Today's grid makes it easy since there's an Orioles column but I think it can be done today, too.  Seattle 2000 hits probably makes it a no-go, though.

9/9 46.  Actually, I don't think you could get all Orioles today with the 2000 hit column.  I might try from my phone later today to see.

Spoiler

Kenny Lofton, Frank Robinson, Adrian Beltre

Mickey Tettleton, Fred Lynn, Alan Trammell

Jamie Moyer, Mark McLemore, Edgar Martinez

Always a good day when you get to use Mickey Tettleton.  I did NOT want to put A-Rod in the Mariners/Rangers grid, I'm glad I was able to think of Moyer.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nah, I don't vastly overrate your abilities, I thought it was really impressive when you got a whole grid of former Orioles.  Today's grid makes it easy since there's an Orioles column but I think it can be done today, too.  Seattle 2000 hits probably makes it a no-go, though.

I have two possible Oriole guesses for Seattle/2000 off the top of my head.   Adam Jones and Nelson Cruz.   I don't think Adam got there, but I'm not 100% sure.   Not sure about Cruz either, but he did have a pretty long career.   So I'll probably guess Cruz and find out one way or another.

I think I'll find time to give today's grid a try with lunch around 12:30.

9/9, 131 for me today.  I left a lot of points on the table by going with “safe” picks on O’s/Tigers and Mariners 2000  (Schoop and Martinez), instead of taking a chance on other guys I thought of but wasn’t 100% sure about (Lynn and Olerud).   The latter answers were correct and would have been much better.  

I did it!   9/9, 18 rarity points, and all Orioles!   My Holy Grail!

I really should blow off the rest of the work day and go somewhere to celebrate my achievement.   But alas, it's back to working....

Spoiler
  • Columns:  Rangers, Orioles, 2000 hits
  • Dodgers:  Kevin Brown, Rick Dempsey, Eddie Murray
  • Tigers:  Mickey Tettleton, Fred Lynn, George Kell
  • Mariners:  Mike Morgan, George Sherrill, Nelson Cruz

I wasn't sure Cruz had 2000 hits but he was the best Mariner/2000 candidate I could think of who was an Oriole.   Turns out he did have 2000, and Adam Jones was at 19-something.

I thought I made a big mistake by using Fred Lynn for Orioles/Tigers because then he wasn't available for Tigers/2000 and I wasn't sure I could come up with an Oriole/Tiger who had 2000 hits.   BUT it turns out Fred Lynn missed out on 2000 hits due to all his injuries!   So that "mistake" actually saved my butt because it prevented me from putting Lynn in that square, which I probably would have.   That left me praying that George Kell had 2000 hits.   I mean, the guy is a Hall of Famer, so I figured he would have, but honestly I know very little about him.   I just remembered him getting inducted into the Hall and it being noted that he played some for the Orioles.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I really should blow off the rest of the work day and go somewhere to celebrate my achievement.   But alas, it's back to working....

Hide contents

I wasn't sure Cruz had 2000 hits but he was the best Mariner/2000 candidate I could think of who was an Oriole.   Turns out he did have 2000, and Adam Jones was at 19-something.

I thought I made a big mistake by using Fred Lynn for Orioles/Tigers because then he wasn't available for Tigers/2000 and I wasn't sure I could come up with an Oriole/Tiger who had 2000 hits.   BUT it turns out Fred Lynn missed out on 2000 hits due to all his injuries!   So that "mistake" actually saved my butt because it prevented me from putting Lynn in that square, which I probably would have.   That left me praying that George Kell had 2000 hits.   I mean, the guy is a Hall of Famer, so I figured he would have, but honestly I know very little about him.   I just remembered him getting inducted into the Hall and it being noted that he played some for the Orioles.

Well done!  Definitely wouldn't have picked Jones over Cruz for 2k hits, I also saw that Lynn never got to 2k, too.  

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ha!  I thought I might have low score of the day.

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 250 9/9:
Rarity: 30
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

9/9 46.  Actually, I don't think you could get all Orioles today with the 2000 hit column.  I might try from my phone later today to see.

Reveal hidden contents

Kenny Lofton, Frank Robinson, Adrian Beltre

Mickey Tettleton, Fred Lynn, Alan Trammell

Jamie Moyer, Mark McLemore, Edgar Martinez

Always a good day when you get to use Mickey Tettleton.  I did NOT want to put A-Rod in the Mariners/Rangers grid, I'm glad I was able to think of Moyer.  

We got the same score today and I only  matched on the Oriole/Tigers player.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ce03d450a522db50aa178c00efceccea.png

• Upvote 1