Time for Cowser up for O'Hearn

accinfo

McKenna is not going anywhere. And if he did, would we want Cowser/Kjerstad on the bench?

I think O'Hearn is about done. Send him out bring up Cowser and put Santander at 1B. Mountcastle can rotate in as needed vs LH.

I would keep Hicks as a 4th OF.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mind says O'Hearn is reverting back to who he's always been, heart says to give him a few more games.  

I hope Cowser comes up soon, though.  

In regards to what to do at 1st base, Urias and Santander if O'Hearn isn't here.  I don't care to see Mountcastle back anytime soon.

O'Hearn's numbers are still good overall, but yeah he's been in free fall the past two weeks. I don't think Elias is ready to throw the towel on O'Hearn yet and he gets another week or two.

I would expect by the all star break if O'Hearn is still slumping then he's a goner. There are multiple players in the farm system who are better hitters than O'Hearn right now.

O'Hearn was a nice story, but he was an 83 OPS+ hitter coming into this season and it's unlikely O'Hearn stays anywhere close to the 137 OPS+ he had coming into today's game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

But the problem is that he hasn’t done that in a while and the BA/OB/slug have been plummeting. We can’t have a guy getting consistent ABs at the cleanup spot to be doing absolutely nothing like he has been for pretty much the entire home stand.

Most if not all of them have done absolutely nothing...even and especially Mullins...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

There is no way of knowing if Cowser will perform any better.  

C'mon, don't be silly.

I've loved what O'Hearn has done.  I couldn't believe that we picked him up over the winter and I was pretty vocal in regards to the acquisition.  But that was before Mountcastle **** the bed and O'Hearn came in and performed very well.

As noted above, O'Hearn is an 83+ OPS+ guy for his career.  There's a very, very high chance that he's reverting to that.  Maybe not...like I said, I'd give him some more games.  

But to pretend that there's no way of knowing if Cowser will perform any better and using uncertainty in an argument isn't a good debate tactic.  I mean, you COULD be right...but you could also be wrong.  There's no way to know unless Cowser comes up.  To simply say "There is no way of knowing..." is silly.  Yeah, of course.  C'mon, don't you want to find out?

But O'Hearn was an 8th round pick and he turns 30 later this month.  Cowser was a first round pick and just turned 23.  I would hope that Cowser's career path doesn't duplicate what O'Hearn has done based off the fact that he was a first round pick and is on the upswing of his career.  In other words, outside of O'Hearn's hot month or so Cowser doesn't have a high bar to hurdle here.  

• Upvote 3

I kind of hope Cowser for Hicks before New York is the move...take our winnings and leave.

But both O'Hearn and Hicks have enough track records either way works.

I don't feel pumped about doubling down on cooling off Hicks in Yankee Stadium with a fanbase ready to vent their frustrations on him in probably an uglier way now that he's in other laundry.  

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I kind of hope Cowser for Hicks before New York is the move...take our winnings and leave.

But both O'Hearn and Hicks have enough track records either way works.

I don't feel pumped about doubling down on cooling off Hicks in Yankee Stadium with a fanbase ready to vent their frustrations on him in probably an uglier way now that he's in other laundry.  

Man, I was hoping Hicks would keep raking through July and put up great numbers against the Yankees.

That could still happen, but it looks like he's slipping, too.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Man, I was hoping Hicks would keep raking through July and put up great numbers against the Yankees.

Hicks is still adept at drawing walks, but his batting average is slipping. McKenna has been hitting better the last month in limited playing time.

It will be interesting to see which way the Orioles go if they need to get rid of one of them. Hicks has been a surprise, but I tend to think the Orioles will keep McKenna despite Hicks’ veteranosity factor. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Bronx cheers will be exuberant anytime weak play by that particular guy helps rather than hinders the Yankees.    If the Orioles choose to deploy him in the at NYY situation.

Now 2-for-24, and I guess we'll see about Sonny Gray tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

C'mon, don't be silly.

I've loved what O'Hearn has done.  I couldn't believe that we picked him up over the winter and I was pretty vocal in regards to the acquisition.  But that was before Mountcastle **** the bed and O'Hearn came in and performed very well.

As noted above, O'Hearn is an 83+ OPS+ guy for his career.  There's a very, very high chance that he's reverting to that.  Maybe not...like I said, I'd give him some more games.  

But to pretend that there's no way of knowing if Cowser will perform any better and using uncertainty in an argument isn't a good debate tactic.  I mean, you COULD be right...but you could also be wrong.  There's no way to know unless Cowser comes up.  To simply say "There is no way of knowing..." is silly.  Yeah, of course.  C'mon, don't you want to find out?

But O'Hearn was an 8th round pick and he turns 30 later this month.  Cowser was a first round pick and just turned 23.  I would hope that Cowser's career path doesn't duplicate what O'Hearn has done based off the fact that he was a first round pick and is on the upswing of his career.  In other words, outside of O'Hearn's hot month or so Cowser doesn't have a high bar to hurdle here.  

I'm not silly... YOU'RE silly 😉

All I'm saying is that we really don't know if Cowser is going to produce any better than what O'hearn offers. His minor league performance indicates that he deserves a chance. But until he's wearing a big league jersey and gets in the box against big league pitching for an extended period of time, we won't know if he's any better. The OP said he had "to believe Cowser will be a better player for the rest of the season in the majors." Well that's a hope, not a surefire fact. 

Believe me, I want Cowser up.  But I'm aware that not every prospect translates minor league success into major league success. 

Looking at Hicks or O'Hearn as day to day streamers the same as Vespi or Vallimont, I do think the Yankee Stadium short porch argues in O'Hearn's favor for a few extra days.

Even before Mountcastle is back or Kjerstad follows Cowser up, you can displace O'Hearn just by giving Ramon Urias more 1B run.

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I'm not silly... YOU'RE silly 😉

All I'm saying is that we really don't know if Cowser is going to produce any better than what O'hearn offers. His minor league performance indicates that he deserves a chance. But until he's wearing a big league jersey and gets in the box against big league pitching for an extended period of time, we won't know if he's any better. The OP said he had "to believe Cowser will be a better player for the rest of the season in the majors." Well that's a hope, not a surefire fact. 

Believe me, I want Cowser up.  But I'm aware that not every prospect translates minor league success into major league success. 

I am a silly mother****er, this much I know.

And again, you're right.  We won't know until he's here.

But in 251 plate appearances at Norfolk, Cowser is slashing .328/.458/.540.  I have to agree with the OP that based on what he's doing in AAA, he'd be effective in Baltimore.  

This is random and not based on any kind of science or analysis, but take off .060 points in all 3 areas and in the majors and he'd be hitting .268/.398/.480.  If Cowser came up and slashed that the rest of the way, I'd absolutely take that.