7/7: Making His Case For A Gold Glove

cboemmeljr

Seems like a good spot for a discussion of Mullins’ defense this year:

Rtot: -4

Rdrs: -3

UZR: -2.7

OAA: +4

Even assuming OAA is your metric of choice, Mullins is well behind Kevin Kiermaier (+10), Luis Robert (+8) and Julio Rodriguez (+8).   Those players are also ahead of Mullins in the other metrics mentioned above.   So, at least right now, I don’t see Mullins as a likely Gold Glove winner, despite his heroics last night.  

I still can’t believe Ced made that catch last night. I was already mentally preparing to be down 3-0 as soon as the camera angle changed to show him going after it. Seemed like there was zero chance as he was going back. Incredible athleticism. 

And who cares about his arm. It’s good enough. The guy is a stud centerfielder. 

2 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

I still can’t believe Ced made that catch last night. I was already mentally preparing to be down 3-0 as soon as the camera angle changed to show him going after it. Seemed like there was zero chance as he was going back. Incredible athleticism. 

And who cares about his arm. It’s good enough. The guy is a stud centerfielder. 

Am I the only one who thinks the praise for that catch is overblown? 

And yes, his arm does matter. He’s improved, but good arm best plays in LF. Eventually that’s where he’ll be.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Seems like a good spot for a discussion of Mullins’ defense this year:

Rtot: -4

Rdrs: -3

UZR: -2.7

OAA: +4

Even assuming OAA is your metric of choice, Mullins is well behind Kevin Kiermaier (+10), Luis Robert (+8) and Julio Rodriguez (+8).   Those players are also ahead of Mullins in the other metrics mentioned above.   So, at least right now, I don’t see Mullins as a likely Gold Glove winner, despite his heroics last night.  

They’re ahead because they’re better.

44 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

And yes, his arm does matter. He’s improved, but good arm best plays in LF. Eventually that’s where he’ll be.

Statcast gave that catch a 70% catch probability.   I’d say it was harder than that, but Mullins has made tougher catches.   

His arm seemed a little stronger than usual last year but has regressed this year.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Statcast gave that catch a 70% catch probability.   I’d say it was harder than that, but Mullins has made tougher catches.   

His arm seemed a little stronger than usual last year but has regressed this year.

Looked to me like it was only six inches over the wall, so not incredibly difficult. It was a good catch and he did take away a HR.

Mullins looks good to me going to his glove side and not so much to the gap in RCF. That was borne out by OAA on a post Tony made last year. 

He often looks a little scared of the wall on many balls and I usually attribute it to him not finding the wall and then shying away from it as he gets close.

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m sorry but the idea that that’s a catch 70% of the time is just absurd. This is where defensive stats lose me. A ball that was literally over the wall is an out 70% of the time?  LOL. Ridiculous. 

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

I’m sorry but the idea that that’s a catch 70% of the time is just absurd. This is where defensive stats lose me. A ball that was literally over the wall is an out 70% of the time?  LOL. Ridiculous. 

Is it?

If the hang time allows can't most ML outfielders pull a ball just over the fence back into the park?

This ain't me and my two inch vertical out there.

22 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Yes, you are the only one.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it?

If the hang time allows can't most ML outfielders pull a ball just over the fence back into the park?

He was playing shallow and had to run with his back towards the infield. It's extremely hard. It's not like he camped under it.

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

Statcast never played baseball for sure.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it?

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

He was playing shallow and had to run with his back towards the infield. It's extremely hard. It's not like he camped under it.

It was six inches over the wall and Mullins jumped just high enough to reach it. If you wanna go on about how difficult that is have at it, but I’ve seen better catches by lesser fielders.