7/7: Making His Case For A Gold Glove

cboemmeljr

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it?

If the hang time allows can't most ML outfielders pull a ball just over the fence back into the park?

This ain't me and my two inch vertical out there.

It's not an easy play-tracking the ball and the fence at the same time but the catch itself is a bit overrated.  I'm his height and can easily reach over a 7 foot wall without jumping. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

It was six inches over the wall and Mullins jumped just high enough to reach it. If you wanna go on about how difficult that is have at it, but I’ve seen better catches by lesser fielders. 

Have you played baseball or softball at any level? I think if you had, you would know how difficult that was. Sure, there have been more difficult ones. No one has said it was the most difficult ever.

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

Have you played baseball or softball at any level? I think if you had, you would know how difficult that was. Sure, there have been more difficult ones. No one has said it was the most difficult ever.

Yea, it's difficult but it's a play that a ML CF should have a good chance at making.

The burden of ridiculous ability.

32 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Haha, since you asked, yes. In fact I played CF through my college years and then went on to scout and coach. 

And I made more difficult catches.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Haha, since you asked, yes. In fact I played CF through my college years and then went on to scout and coach. 

And I made more difficult catches.

The game is a bit lacking in CF in a true sense today though....or seems to be.

I agree it was a very good catch and maybe not spectacular....but the fact that it would have been, not only a home run, but a 3 run homer, does make it a bit more important.  Situations matter.

Just ask Reggie Jackson...who certainly isn't the only player to hit 3 HR in a game.