Mariners looking to trade pitching for hitting?

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, 7Mo said:

SEA is really struggling at second. I'm sure they would want Ortiz+. No idea how much more. 

I would rather send them Norby. 

A reunion with Frazier for the right now and Norby for the future?

Get it done Elias. 

Bryan Woo is getting a lot of shutdown attention from workload watchers.

His 2021 draft year was only 28 innings, and during our recent Mariners series I heard their hometown announcers lauding their algorithms for finding a gem based on pitch characteristics despite a small college workload and bad ERA.

He went to the Arizona Fall League in 2022 to get to 67 innings total last year.

He's at 73 between AA and MLB year to date, with his turn up tonight in Houston.     He looks like a good pitcher.

https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/news/seattle-mariners-likely-to-shut-down-young-pitcher-bryan-woo-in-second-half

General manager Justin Hollander has already alluded to the likelihood Woo will be shut down altogether at some point during the second half, adding "we're not just purely measuring innings; we're measuring stressful innings, how hard they're working in any given outing."

19 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I guess the Cardinals aren't looking to trade any of their pitchers if they're already looking to acquire starting pitchers.

Montgomery is likely gone after the season…and Hicks is also a FA.

Trading rentals is always on the table.

I would guess at the Gilbert-Kirby level, they are only asking at the Cowser-Kjerstad-Mayo level for a centerpiece, and we're the ones fleshing out a package.

Bryce or Woo might be more Westburg-y.

But I think these kind of dangles, DiPoto isn't quitting on Julio's 2023 yet.     They have these talented pitchers who perhaps aren't sturdy enough to do their craft to Halloween in some cases.     A team like the Cardinals with little care for the rest of 2023 will probably profile as a more natural partner.

DiPoto dipped into his Arms and was willing to pay Teoscar half a season ago...Arenado or Goldschmidt is probably on his wishlist here.     Maybe also clearing a role on the team for an enthusiastic Ohtani pitch.

To some extent how DiPoto (or Kim Ng) do relative to Elias in the next 1-18 months is a bit of a measurement which GM put a lot of eggs in a more valuable sector.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I would guess at the Gilbert-Kirby level, they are only asking at the Cowser-Kjerstad-Mayo level for a centerpiece, and we're the ones fleshing out a package.

Bryce or Woo might be more Westburg-y.

But I think these kind of dangles, DiPoto isn't quitting on Julio's 2023 yet.     They have these talented pitchers who perhaps aren't sturdy enough to do their craft to Halloween in some cases.     A team like the Cardinals with little care for the rest of 2023 will probably profile as a more natural partner.

DiPoto dipped into his Arms and was willing to pay Teoscar half a season ago...Arenado or Goldschmidt is probably on his wishlist here.     Maybe also clearing a role on the team for an enthusiastic Ohtani pitch.

To some extent how DiPoto (or Kim Ng) do relative to Elias in the next 1-18 months is a bit of a measurement which GM put a lot of eggs in a more valuable sector.

Yea the names like Walker and Gorman are being thrown around.  Now, I don’t know if the Cards are looking to move them but those are the names being talked about.

Now, maybe Woo or Miller would be less or maybe they will be interested in established guys that can help now. 

Would they be interested in a package of Urias or Frazier, Hays or Santander, Stowers and Norby?  I tend to doubt it but it depends on how much value they are putting on guys that are established that can help now.

51 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

You're nuts.

I don't know that I'm a believer in Austin Hays. His BABIP this year is .387 and he's often injured and often struggles coming back from injuries. Plus he's about to start costing more money in arbitration.

If his 2021/2022 is more of an indicator of his true talent, and you can find a team that believes this isn't just a career year for him, I'd send him packing for pitching. At that point he's basically a 2-win OF and I'm sure we can mostly replace that internally.

As for Santander he was basically replacement level/slightly above until last year. We have better defensive options, and he only has one relatively expensive year left before free agency.

Losing either player would be taking a hit this year, but if it allowed us to acquire multiple years of MLB starting pitching through a trade, I'd send one, maybe both of them out.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

You're nuts.

No he's not.

If you could trade either Hays or Santandar in a package for a SP that's better than any of our current guys, then you make that trade. Kjerstad is waiting in the wings to step into an OF spot vacated by that trade.

Edited by bluedog
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, bluedog said:

No he's not.

If you could trade either Hays or Santandar in a package for a SP that's better than any of our current guys, then you make that trade. Kjerstad is waiting in the wings to step into an OF spot vacated by that trade.

Not to mention, I would rather keep the better prospects that are cheaper, younger and will have a lot of team control.

There won’t be a “team WAR” drop off because of the increase in pitching.

Seattle’s OF production this year hasn’t been good and DH and 1st base hasn’t been that good either.

The “right now” production that Hays and/or Santander can bring them could be very valuable to them as they try to get back into the playoffs.