Right.  Richie, Lott, Witt, could have some connection if Baumeister didn’t/doesn’t sign.   There’s just no connection to Baumeisters slot money.

I feel like Ciolek was blowing a little smoke when he said their intention was to sign everyone.   I guess you have to say that or open yourself up to trouble.   It seems like the expectation on signing all three of Witt, Lott, and Richie was probably at level 0.     Still hoping for either  a reversal on Lott or a surprise on Richie but not expecting either.

Btw, interesting that the Orioles announced signing their top ten rounds signings absent Baumeister but conveniently omit the bonuses of the underslots in 8 and 9, and the 10th rounder Etzel.    Something tells me they don’t want Baumeisters camp to know what their spending limit is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I feel like Ciolek was blowing a little smoke when he said their intention was to sign everyone.   I guess you have to say that or open yourself up to trouble.   It seems like the expectation on signing all three of Witt, Lott, and Richie was probably at level 0.     Still hoping for either  a reversal on Lott or a surprise on Richie but not expecting either.

It sounds like a platitude at this point.  "We drafted you because you have talent, and we want you on our team."  But I do think the intention is to sign the first 10 round players.  Then seeing what happens from there even if landing any of those 3 were dart throws at best.

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

The slot money for the first 10 rounds (i.e. from McLean/Baumeister) is pulled from the bucket if they don't sign.  Which means they have less to work with in rounds 11-20 (i.e. Young/Ritchie).  If Baumeister doesn't sign, then the total bonus pool ($10m+) is reduced by his $1.24m slot amount.  Ultimately bringing the total pool to $9m-ish.  If Baumeister doesn't sign, then no way we can sign Ritchie.

But yeah, the strategy of having a late round guy to throw money at is sound.

You are absolutely correct about all of this. My thought, which could be completely wrong, is that maybe if Baumeister doesn’t sign they go into the 5% overage and take the savings from the other picks and throw all of that at Ritchie, but that they won’t go into the overage if they don’t fail to sign him. My recollection is that they had never gone into the overage until last year when McLean didn’t sign, and they did it to buy Young out from LSU, but again my memory could be faulty. 

Thanks for the kind words in your other post. I try to share what I see. Harbor Park is a fun place to catch a game (especially the last few years with the teams being so talented). I’d recommend it to anyone.

A few final thoughts with a few days left before the deadline.

Witt and Lott made social media comments that they decided to go to their respective schools.  Ritchie has not.

Ritchie also reportedly attended a workout at OPACY.   He might have done it just for the experience but you’d think it was done with the idea that he was interested in signing at some number if picked.

Baumeister was a draft eligible sophomore giving him leverage and likely overslot status.  

Despite the hiccup last year with McClean, Ciolek seems to have a good idea what it will take to sign these guys before they are actually chosen.

My conclusion?    The combined number for Ritchie and Baumeister was known but Ciolek was hoping he could negotiate one or both with a lesser number.   Going over on Baumeister does affect what they can offer Ritchie.   I believe Baumeister has to be the priority here so they might have to meet his number and just offer a take it or leave it offer on the balance to Ritchie.  I don’t see them doing it the other way around.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 4

When I add up the savings column on page one, I come up with $524,500, with the savings on Bragg not yet known.  (The chart shows $476,548, so the numbers don't agree somewhere along the line.)  If the Orioles are willing to once again go up to 5% over, it seems to me that they have a bit more than a million over slot to work with to try and get Baumeister and Ritchie to sign.

18 minutes ago, Number5 said:

When I add up the savings column on page one, I come up with $524,500, with the savings on Bragg not yet known.  (The chart shows $476,548, so the numbers don't agree somewhere along the line.)  If the Orioles are willing to once again go up to 5% over, it seems to me that they have a bit more than a million over slot to work with to try and get Baumeister and Ritchie to sign.

Also, Zach Fruit savings should be $137,100.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

MLB draft tracker shows 8th rounder Braxton Bragg signing for 100K.   That is a savings of 97.8K at that slot.

So the total slot savings seems to be $631,700.  An additional half-million or so can be used to sign the over-slot guys if the Orioles are willing to pay the 75% tax for going 0-5% over.

If they don’t sign Baumeister at this point you’d have to think they had a miscommunication on his number before the draft or his camp changed it.  I have to believe they had an idea what it would take before they selected him and have that amount available to offer.   It’s either just last minute playing chicken to the deadline on the actual bonus amount or trying to get Baumeister plus one or both of Folet and Ritchie into the fold as well.

I’ll be happy to just get Baumeister signed at whatever it takes but definitely a little icing on the cake with the other two.