There should be more skills competitions at the All Star game besides just the home-run derby

GuidoSarducci

Yea that's be fun, and could be done during the day on the Tuesday of the event. 

1. Outfield throw accuracy to home plate

2. Bare hand throw at 3B to 1B

3. Bunting?

4. Spray hitting set up targets (yall remember MVP baseball 2005?)

I'd rather see them do stupid competitions in other sports.  The season is a grind, let them have a few days of rest from the same repetitive motions.  Interesting competitions:

• Obstacle course or American Ninja Warrior type race
  • Archery (current players see if they can beat Chipper Jones)
  • Beer mile
  • Paintball match - Call of Duty style
  • Pickle ball tournament
  • Slam dunk contest
  • Punt, pass, and kick contest
Edited by yark14
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, yark14 said:

I'd rather see them do stupid competitions in other sports.  The season is a grind, let them have a few days of rest from the same repetitive motions.  Interesting competitions:

• Beer mile
  • Pickle ball tournament
  • Slam dunk contest

Best home run dugout celebration

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, yark14 said:

• Beer mile
  • Pickle ball tournament
  • Slam dunk contest

Punt, pass and kick would be hilarious, though maybe best for the players that didn't make the All Star teams.  The guys need some rest so maybe overhand cornhole instead.

When I was a kid, my buddies and I would have home run robbery competitions where we would have a fielder start at a line and one of us would toss a ball from about 20 feet from the backyard fence so that it would just clear the fence.  The fielder would run and jump up the fence to try and rob the home run.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Punt, pass and kick would be hilarious, though maybe best for the players that didn't make the All Star teams.  The guys need some rest so maybe overhand cornhole instead.

Hold the punt, pass, and kick right after the beer mile. 

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Maybe some type defensive competition like throw accuracy and time to plate, or a difficult play like where the 3B has to pick it up the ball barehanded and throw on the run

Pitchers could also do hardest throw and accuracy.

In the early twentieth century, competing teams had "field days," maybe in the morning before games or beween games of a double header. My memory is a little hazy on the details, and I don't quickly see anything online. From memory, the events included sprints (there were no sausages or former presidents), throwing from the OF for distance and accuracy, and bunting accuracy. 

I'm not sure why they stopped. Maybe somebody get hurt, or the players wanted to be paid.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps they could play a 9-inning game where the hitters attempt to hit the ball, the fielders try to catch the ball and the pitchers try to strike guys out.  

Only if there's a ghost runner on a random base every inning.  Fans at random are picked out of the stands to be ghost runners.

• Thanks 2