There should be more skills competitions at the All Star game besides just the home-run derby

GuidoSarducci

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

When I was a kid, my buddies and I would have home run robbery competitions where we would have a fielder start at a line and one of us would toss a ball from about 20 feet from the backyard fence so that it would just clear the fence.  The fielder would run and jump up the fence to try and rob the home run.

Reminds me of a game we did as kids called Goal Line Stand. 3 guys would line up and one guy would try to vault over them for a TD. Sometimes we'd play it indoors and have the bed as the endzone. 

Probably not good for the AS Game though. Maybe a pie eating contest or hot dogs. 

Edited by NashLumber

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Used to love when the Orioles would play charity basketball games against local school faculty members.  Awesome time.  Palmer and Murray were excellent.

I went to at least one of those at Howard High School, Ellicott City.  Palmer was done doing that by the time I went.  Eddie was there but don't remember who else.

3 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Reminds me of a game we did as kids called Goal Line Stand. 3 guys would line up and one guy would try to vault over them for a TD. Sometimes we'd play it indoors and have the bed as the endzone. 

Probably not good for the AS Game though. Maybe a pie eating contest or hot dogs. 

My brothers and would do the exact same thing.  I have 4 older brothers. Two would be O linemen blocking, 2 would be D lineman, and I was always the ball carrier and got the crap beat out of me.  The goal line was the sofa in the basement.   I would get a running start and try to jump over the pile.

In another thread I'll have to tell you about playing William Tell with a soda can balanced on my head while they tried to shoot it off with BB guns.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps they could play a 9-inning game where the hitters attempt to hit the ball, the fielders try to catch the ball and the pitchers try to strike guys out.  

Why that's crazy talk. Be careful, you might start a revolution with that!

Edited by O's84

17 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I was just joking, I think he’ll be okay. He recovered from Adam Duvall, and that game mattered.

The one guy I constantly see being (too) hard on himself is Gunnar. 

Gunnar does put on a show.  He needs to relax a little.  He's got incredible talent.  I'd play him at SS all day.

Edited by Baltimorecuse
add info

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Basallo is currently ranked 69th in OPS at AA, which includes stats from people that are no longer at that level (including those that were demoted, promoted, etc.).  Average age of players above Basallo: 24 He's the youngest. But here's the breakdown of those above him (minimum 50 PA): 20: 3 21: 9 22: 10 23: 10 24: 11 25: 15 26: 7 27: 1 28: 2 OPS by age group for everybody that qualifies in PA (at least 50): (ref: https://milbtracker.com/hitter-stats?levels[0]=AA&sort=ops&sort_direction=desc&org=&timeframe=2024&min_walk_percentage=0&max_strike_out_percentage=100&paginate=50&page=1) AGE OPS 18 0.544 19 0.800 20 0.747 21 0.734 22 0.701 23 0.677 24 0.664 25 0.682 26 0.682 27 0.620 28 0.686 29 0.652 30 0.588 31 0.676 Breakdown by age: AGE COUNT PERCENTAGE 18 1 0.22% 19 1 0.22% 20 7 1.56% 21 31 6.92% 22 55 12.28% 23 83 18.53% 24 86 19.20% 25 88 19.64% 26 51 11.38% 27 21 4.69% 28 7 1.56% 29 11 2.46% 30 3 0.67% 31 3 0.67% I mean, 90% of the league is aged 21-27 with 60% of the league being aged 23-25.  Basallo is putting up a comparable OPS to the upper echelon of hitters overall. And is OPSing better than *every age group* on average!  The kid is special. At age 20, Gunnar put up an 826 OPS across A, A+, AA. At age 18, Basallo put up a 953 OPS across A, A+, AA.
    • I don't agree at all. In the majors maybe, but not in AAA. Just my opinion. 
    • Oops missed your reference.  I agree it’s a great article. 
    • From a great analytics article on Mayo and Holliday in Baseball America.  I don’t want to paste too much more because we should encourage this type of work.  https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/coby-mayo-jackson-holliday-headline-10-statcast-standouts/ This is hopefully the last time that I’ll be writing about Mayo (hopefully he’ll be in the majors soon), so let’s dive even deeper and break down his analytical metrics vs both RHPs and LHPs, beginning with RHPs, as that’s his tougher matchup as a righty bat.   If you want to read these charts at a glance, go to the bottom row where it says “All Pitches” and scan for gold. The darker the gold, the better, the more purple, the worse the metric is. You can then scan up and see how that looks when broken into a smaller piece, such as sliders. All numbers are relative to the MLB average, so that you can easily see if he’s above average at something, with the caveat that this is against Triple-A pitching. Let’s go back to the analytical check boxes. When we talk about chase rates, we’re mostly concerned about chasing breaking balls (sliders, sweepers and curves) as well as offspeed pitches (changeups and splitters). The previous charts strongly suggested he was going to shine in that respect. Indeed he does, with minuscule chase rates against non-fastballs. This is a huge box to check. It demonstrates his tremendous approach at the plate, even against the harder matchup. He’s also able to avoid swing and miss against breaking balls the few times he does chase. For Zone Contact, I usually key in on the fastballs. That’s the pitch pitchers will typically use to attack hitters in the zone. Here again, we see more gold coloring, indicating Mayo has no trouble getting to above-average bat-to-ball ability in the zone. Now what makes Mayo an outstanding hitting prospect is his rare ability to make hard contact in the air. Against righties, he shows a remarkable ability to lift nearly every pitch type (including fastballs, which have a higher baseline launch angle), and does so with authority. I look through a lot of data, and I can’t think of another prospect that makes this much contact, with this much power, and also hits the ball in the air.   If you thought his metrics against righthanders were good, they’re even better when he has the matchup advantage against lefties, with perhaps a touch too much chase sliders. We see an incredible average exit velocity of 96.1 mph, which is borderline elite, and fully backed up by his elite 90th percentile ext velocities. At the risk of beating the same drum again, we see much the same story, an extremely potent analytical profile, where we have to zoom in on a subset to find something that Mayo isn’t (yet) excelling at. If he can replicate these kind of exit velocities and launch angles against major league lefties, he’ll be hitting a lot of home runs.
    • I want them ALL to do well. I have no ill will towards any Oriole or prospect. Lifelong fan and current plan holder. I want EVERYTHING to work out in our favor. I know little to nothing about Basallo except for what I read online and what I can glean from his stats, which is obviously not the whole story/picture. Hence the original post full of questions about him. Sorry you seem bothered by it all, but do you have any thoughts to share on Basallo? Or any responses to any of the 6 questions I asked in the original post? Or did you just get it all of your chest with that single, insightful comment?  
    • .500 OBP is much more valuable than a .500 Slug
    • Why not see how much someone like Jameson Taillon would cost prospect wise? $17 million a year for a decent pitcher isn't horrendous. 
  • Popular Contributors