Tejada is back and killing us again!

melankfo

The clown response doesn't even warrant a response. This almost doesn't- but more than anything it shows the immaturity of some hangouters. "Totally stupid?"

So what is all the hate threads when Gibbons is playing awful, or Huff, or Payton? They have had their moments, yet they get vilified and crucified for underperforming. Tejada had some good years, but post Palmeiro- he has been average AT BEST. The only thing keeping him there is his batting average. His defense has been a liability. His offense, minus one 4 rbi game (even Gibbons recently had a 5 rbi game didnt he??), has been a liability- as he shows the same impatience that has always plagued him.

His anxiousness at the plate reminds me of a guy trying to make it in the bigs. Corey Patterson has as much patience as Tejada does.

He is past his best years, and he is no longer a guy that can be counted on.. not that he was ever a great clutch player to begin with.

Seeing Tejada in the lineup again to me is like watchying the team walk in place. It was great to see the fresh young faces at short, and the energy they brought. I have held back form posting any threads about him- as I am trying top refrain from starting negative posts now- but I wasn't going to hestitate in "responding" to them, especially when he seems to have the blind faith of so many.

It's time to move on. You're living in the past- 3 years in the past- if you think Tejada is anything more than an average player right now.

Their moments are very few and far between, unlike Tejada who still outperforms most MLB shortstops.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What an absurd remark. I am not going to sit here and tell you that Tejada is just as good now as he was in 2004 and the first half of 2005, but he is far better than average. Of 28 shortstops who qualify, Miggy is 6th in batting average, 8th in OBP, 12th in slugging, 10th in OPS, 13th in RBI (despite missing a month), and 11th in RC/27. The worst you can say is that he has slipped from elite to above average.

We'll wait and see what his numbers are when the season is over. His average, as I said, is the only thing keeping his name in the "above average" category. Please come back with some stats about where he ranks among GIDP, and average with RISP- and again with 2 outs. You are comparing him to SS's, where I think he is out of position. Even still, if he drops in the ranks 5 or 6 spots, by numbers, he will be AVERAGE (with 28 eligible SS). How about this, where does he rank among all players getting paid his type of salary?

By the way, I know it's been a while, but have you seen his playoff numbers- which tell me quite a story about his ability in crunch time. Downright awful. He presses whenever the pressure is on- and numbers won't alwaya reveal that. If he was in New yrok- he'd be ripped apart worse than A-Rod. (or at least worse than he WAS before this year)...

Miggy can be Miggy- but he just isn't fit to be anything more than a complimentary hitter at this point. His expectations of himself may be just too high- as seen from his mannerisms after every ground out and missed ground ball.

Anyway- whatever- since he's come back- be it coincidence or whatever- the same eery feeling is creeping back in... and now our bullpen is collapsing. Sure is good to have the "whipping boy" back. Yeah, whatever....

The difference is this

Miggy .783

Payton .699

Huff .663

Gibbons .615

The difference is Miggy is an asset to the team and is creating runs whereas Gibbons, Huff, and to a lesser extent Payton are liabilities and are costing the teams runs.

Except that we have a cleanup hitter (now 5th) with a .783 OPS...that's pretty bad. He should be a #5/6 on a good team.

Absolutely Tejada is average vs the rest of today's shortstops and distinctly better than the uber-overrated Jeter. Personally, I philosophically disagree with the school of baseball that favors putting a premium offensive player who is only average defensively at SS. If the league were filled with outstanding offensive players at all the offense-first positions, playing Tejada, Jeter, etc. at shortstop would make sense. As it is, the lineups of roughly half of MLB teams contain such no field, no hit luminaries as Jay Gibbons, Aubrey Huff, etc. I think resources would be better used by putting Tejada or Jeter, who are good enough athletes to be truly outstanding corner outfielders, in the outfield and playing truly outstanding defensive players who aren't much worse than a Jay Gibbons type offensively at shortstop.

I think you're mistakenly overlooking the different skill set required to play the outfield vs. the infield. "Outstanding defensive player" is too broad a label. There's no assurance that Tejada or Jeter could be successful corner outfielders. There are slick-fielding infielders who are lost in the outfield and vice-versa.

Except that we have a cleanup hitter (now 5th) with a .783 OPS...that's pretty bad. He should be a #5/6 on a good team.

Not the question.

The question what is the difference between dumping on Tejada and dumping on the other 3. The difference is that Tejada is still producing rather well where as 2 of the 3 have been doing there best Fahey impersonation

For the record I agree that we need a true power bat between Markakis and Miggy.

Not the question.

The question what is the difference between dumping on Tejada and dumping on the other 3. The difference is that Tejada is still producing rather well where as 2 of the 3 have been doing there best Fahey impersonation

For the record I agree that we need a true power bat between Markakis and Miggy.

Producing rather well?? He has 21 XBH, which is only 1 more than Gibbons who has 50 less ABs

I think you're mistakenly overlooking the different skill set required to play the outfield vs. the infield. "Outstanding defensive player" is too broad a label. There's no assurance that Tejada or Jeter could be successful corner outfielders. There are slick-fielding infielders who are lost in the outfield and vice-versa.

Certainly there are some but generally speaking someone who is a passable shortstop is a good all-around athlete to the point where they can learn to play virtually any position decently. I think it would at least be worth a try. If Alfonso Soriano managed to become a plus corner outfielder I'm pretty confident both of them could. I'm not even necessarily talking about moving these particular players though... I'm thinking more about player development and stuff that could happen in the minor leagues with prospects as an organization is formulating its plan for the future. For an older player, 3B would probably be a more logical move, although Jeter clearly doesn't have the arm for that.

I got negative rep from someone who rarely posts for saying that Miggy grounded into another DP after swinging on the 1st pitch?? What's up with that?

Apparently some people are a little emotional about the subject... that or they were going to watch the game later and you spoiled it for them. :rolleyes:

...unless of course that's not really all you posted. I'm not gonna go back and look.

Archived